Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools 11
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 09-18-2013, 06:54 PM

Default Feature Request: Retrospective Record

I'm not sure how to make a feature request, but I know Avid reads these boards, so thought this was worth a shot.

Now that PT 11 has much better VI performance, it is starting to become a great tool for composers during the composing process. However, compared to Logic, DP, and Cubase, there are still a number of features that would help Pro Tools catch up in workflow.

One of those is retrospective record - play along to the track without being in record and at the end, hit a button and it will capture the MIDI data you just played and put it on the track. This is REALLY helpful when composing.

I hope you add this to PT Avid! Thanks!
Old 09-18-2013, 11:03 PM

Default Re: Feature Request: Retrospective Record

Big +1!!!!!!

really miss this feature. I'm really hoping now that the stuff under the hood is sorted more or less that pro tools can take some big leaps for composing workflow in an upcoming version. The bones are soooo good in PT. Which I feel is where the other apps fall short...just needs some attention to the details now.
Old 09-19-2013, 01:21 AM

Has been up on IS for a while (4 years)

http://protools.ideascale.com/a/dtd/...fer/12774-3779
Old 09-19-2013, 09:33 AM

Use Quick Punch recording mode.

Whenever the transport is rolling, Pro Tools is secretly recording in the background, on any record armed tracks (you just can't see it).

You just have to hit / click record (either on your numeric keypad, alpha keyboard F-key, control surface, or PT GUI) before you stop the transport, or you'll loose the recording.

You'll need to trim the small region / clip that is created from that point, back out to the beginning of where you started playing, but it will be there.

Never tried it with MIDI, but it works a charm with Audio tracks.