Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Hardware > FireWire & USB Audio Interfaces (Mac)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 01-02-2015, 11:01 AM

Default What external drives r u using?

Looking for some suggestions on Thunderbolt external drives to run Pro Tools on. Would like to hear from those who are doing this and your experiences.
I am about to purchase a new IMAC with SSD internal and would like suggestions on what would be a good compliment to the system. Preferably a thunderbolt SSD. Also looking at the option to use an enclosure with an SSD card so any suggestions in that direction would be appreciated.

Thanks
Old 01-02-2015, 11:34 AM

Default Re: What external drives r u using?

I would use Lacie External SSD's if you don't want to pay for the more expensive options as they are anywhere from $800 and up

These drives are great with either 500GB SSD or 1TB SSD
We have 3 of the 500GB SSD's and works perfectly fine when in the studio and if we are away we just grab one of them for the road

https://www.lacie.com/se/products/product.htm?id=10629

We hqve one of these aswell and it is super stable and fast! But expensive ...

https://www.lacie.com/se/products/product.htm?id=10621

Best
Christopher

#thestruggleisreal
—————————————
South Side Music Group
WEBHOME
—————————————
Old 01-02-2015, 11:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Southsidemusic View Post
I would use Lacie External SSD's if you don't want to pay for the more expensive options as they are anywhere from $800 and up

These drives are great with either 500GB SSD or 1TB SSD
We have 3 of the 500GB SSD's and works perfectly fine when in the studio and if we are away we just grab one of them for the road

https://www.lacie.com/se/products/product.htm?id=10629

We hqve one of these aswell and it is super stable and fast! But expensive ...

https://www.lacie.com/se/products/product.htm?id=10621

Best
Christopher
Thanks Christopher. I notice you are using the UAD Apollo stuff. I am going to be purchasing one of these. My IMAC will be the 4.0 quad core with internal SSD loaded with 32 MB RAM. I am trying to make an educated decision on whether to go with the UAD Duo or Quad core. The UAD will be my main interface from which I will record into and I will be using PT 11. what are your thoughts. There is about a $500 difference between the two.
Old 01-02-2015, 11:58 AM

Hey

If you want to use a lot of UAD-2 plugins and especially the ones that uses more DSP from the Apollo interface I would go with the Apollo Quad No doubt.

We have a midi production/songwriting room with 2 Apollo Quads and still had to get a Satellite Octo due to the limits of the DSP on the Apollo Quads so if you want to be able to work properly without spending another $1K for a Satellite Quad for instance Go with the Quad.

Honestly the best UAD-2 plugins uses quite a lot of Shark DSP and a DUO will not be sufficient enough to use several instances of the plugins.

Lets say we use 10 x Studer and 10 x LA2-A and a few more spead out we have maxed out one of the Apollo Quads right there so a DUO will have half of that power or less so a Quad is the only way. Since you can't upgrade any of the Interfaces that $500 will be well spent on getting the 4 Shark Processor version all day long

Make sure you get the Thunderbolt-2 version of the Apollo Quad.

Best Regards

Christopher

Quote:
Originally Posted by mspin View Post
Thanks Christopher. I notice you are using the UAD Apollo stuff. I am going to be purchasing one of these. My IMAC will be the 4.0 quad core with internal SSD loaded with 32 MB RAM. I am trying to make an educated decision on whether to go with the UAD Duo or Quad core. The UAD will be my main interface from which I will record into and I will be using PT 11. what are your thoughts. There is about a $500 difference between the two.

#thestruggleisreal
—————————————
South Side Music Group
WEBHOME
—————————————