Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools TDM Systems (Mac)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 01-02-2007, 01:41 PM

Default Assertion in \" Volumes/Development/etc.\"

Greetings all. Just posting a little experience, which might make someone's life a tad easier.

The other day while working on a session for an upcoming music mix, I tried to "Save" and got the following error:

"Assertion in " /Volumes/Development/vbvd/AlturaPorts/SDKs/Neo61?Libraries/Macintosh/Environments/Alone/../../../../Source/CNeoIOBlock.cpp", line 792."

I could not "Save" the session, or "Save as..." or "Quit" Protools becasue versions of this error (with differing line numbers) kept coming up. Each time I had to "Force Quit" Protools.

I went back and opened a session I had been working on the previous week and got the same error, and subsequent hang.

I then jumped onto the DUC here and searched for similar "assertion" language, but only found many exasperated folks trying to solve their problems, without much luck.

Next came some urgent, New-Years-Eve emails with a friend at Digi, where we discovered I was not running the latest cs version of PT, but the error persisted even after downloading and installing the latest cs version (in my case, PT7.2 cs2). I deleted the "Volumes" database on my main system drive, but the problem continued to present.

The, in a goofy stroke of genius I decided to boot Protools with only one drive mounted at a time; (my system usually has 6 or so firewire drives spinning at any given time); VOILA!; sessions on that drive opened and saved perfectly. Thus the simple process of elimination allowed me to find the one drive which, when mounted as Protools booted, caused the Assertion error.

Deleting the "Digidesign Databases" folder on that drive alone cleared the error, meaning of course, that next time I'll do a simple, systematic troubleshooting of each drive's Digi databases, expecting that only one has become corrupted, and I'll probably save myself some grief.

I hope this will save YOU some grief.

Happy New Year.
(and don't let the technology get in your way)

Kent
Old 01-02-2007, 04:37 PM

Default Re: Assertion in \" Volumes/Development/etc.\"

Thankls, you did save me!! I had same problem and your post gave me the answer, i treashed databases on all drives and now it's fine. thanks again
Old 01-02-2007, 09:13 PM

Default Re: Assertion in \" Volumes/Development/etc.\"

Trashing the Volumes folder is what fixed it for me. Here's the complete instructions, as sent to me in an email from Dave in Digi tech support:

To "trash databases"
Please Note: Users who*use the catalog feature of Digibase*should be aware that this will reset Digibase, and that catalogs will be lost.
For all Mounted volumes trash Digidesign Databases folders
Go to Mac Hard Drive (or the hard drive with your OSX installation)>
Drag to Trash:
Digidesign Databases
Mac Hard Drive (hard drive with your OSX installation) > Library > Application Support > Digidesign > Databases >
Drag to Trash:
Volumes folder
Catalogs folder (if present)
Empty trash. Restart