Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > AAX Plug-ins
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 03-27-2023, 04:25 PM

Default Re: Waves Creative Access?

I would love to recoup some money from my mercury, studio classics, abbey road, and others, but unfortunately, I believe you couldn't get anyone to pay you to take them at this point, ha!
Old 03-27-2023, 04:47 PM

I have perp licenses for Waves Horizon plus many others (Abbey Roads, H-Series, among others), all in version 14.0 which I WUP'd three months ago which will expire December 30, 2023.

Here's my question:

Will Waves honor my one year WUP contract? For example, if Waves releases version 14.1 for these plugins in July 2023 and version 14.2 in November, will I be able to download those newer versions and use them as before (perpetual licenses)? We'll see I guess.

Regardless, I will not be giving any more money to Waves. None.

I figure I can use the plugins for several more years, perhaps five or so until the versions 14.0 (or 14.1 or 14.2) Waves plugins no longer work with the computer/OS/DAW I have at that time.
Old 03-27-2023, 04:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by macmusic9 View Post
I would love to recoup some money from my mercury, studio classics, abbey road, and others, but unfortunately, I believe you couldn't get anyone to pay you to take them at this point, ha!
Plus, under the transfer program, don't you have to pay Waves for each transfer (up to a limit per transaction)?
Old 03-27-2023, 05:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdelsolray View Post
I have perp licenses for Waves Horizon plus many others (Abbey Roads, H-Series, among others), all in version 14.0 which I WUP'd three months ago which will expire December 30, 2023.

Here's my question:

Will Waves honor my one year WUP contract? For example, if Waves releases version 14.1 for these plugins in July 2023 and version 14.2 in November, will I be able to download those newer versions and use them as before (perpetual licenses)? We'll see I guess.

Regardless, I will not be giving any more money to Waves. None.

I figure I can use the plugins for several more years, perhaps five or so until the versions 14.0 (or 14.1 or 14.2) Waves plugins no longer work with the computer/OS/DAW I have at that time.
The FAQ say you will continue to get updates up and until your WUP was up. See FAQ below.

(Questions about my perpetual (non-subscription) licenses)

What happens to the plugin or bundle licenses I purchased prior to Waves Creative Access?

You continue to own them, at the latest version you bought or updated to prior to the launch of Waves Creative Access.

You can continue to use your plugin/bundle licenses and software, on all systems and host applications that are compatible with the versions you own.

I still have Waves Update Plan coverage on my products. Will I continue to receive updates? What happens when the coverage expires?

You will continue to receive updates for V14 plugins for the duration of your current Waves Update Plan coverage.

Once the coverage expires, it will not be possible to renew, but you can continue to use your plugin/bundle licenses on all systems and host applications that are compatible with the versions you own.

Future plugin updates will be available exclusively with Waves Creative Access.

Can I install just the plugins for which I own perpetual (non-subscription) licenses?

Yes, you can install just the V14 plugins for which you own licenses, online via Waves Central’s 'Install Products’ page.

You can also install just the V9-V13 plugins for which you own licenses, via an offline installer: see instructions here.

Will I be able to continue using the second licenses offered with the Waves Update Plan?

You can continue using your second licenses for the duration of your current Waves Update Plan coverage.
Pro Tools Studio 2024.3 | Studio One Pro 6.6 | Logic Pro 10.8.1 | Dolby Atmos Render 5.2 & Album Assembler 1.3 | RME BabyFace Pro FS | UA Native Plugins & Sphere LX | SSL UC1 | 2023 Mac Studio M2 Max 12 Core CPU 38 Core GPU | MacOs 13.5.0 | Genelec 8020D & Yamaha MSP10 | Korg Kronos LS | Sonarworks Sound ID | Beyerdynamic DT 1990 Pro | DT 880 PRO | DT 770 Pro | etc.
Old 03-27-2023, 05:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdelsolray View Post
Plus, under the transfer program, don't you have to pay Waves for each transfer (up to a limit per transaction)?
Yeah, and the amount was based on the MSRP of the plugin/bundle not the actual price you paid.

At one point I was going to do a giveaway of a Waves Gold bundle I didn't need, but I had to pay the transfer fee based on the MSRP of Gold which would have been more than the $99 Gold actually sold for

So the giveaway never happened, and thats another bundle that sits in my account collecting digital dust.

Windows 11 Pro | macOS 12
Pro Tools 2022
benonistudio.com
Youtube Channel - benonistudio
Plugin Deals
@benonistudio
Old 03-28-2023, 08:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by macmusic9 View Post
Waves user here (for 25+ years) & have become accustomed to some of their shadier moves… but this one takes the biscuit.

Like many, I’ve invested thousands over the years, (& I’m not one of those big studios who can just write those losses off).

Despite having upgraded bundles gradually over the years, I decided a while back that I’m only really using a handful of their plugins, so decided to sell… only problem is that my Mercury & Studio Classics bundles are now essentially worthless, & my investment (& support for the company) are now entirely redundant.

So from me Waves… no long good-bye - just a middle finger (both hands)...
Old 03-28-2023, 10:42 AM

Seems to me that they could have at least offered long time users the opportunity to make one last WUP to upgrade all plugins currently owned. That way we would have V14 for most everything permanently, and can decide later whether to go the subscription route.
Furthermore, only about 1/2 the plugins I use are included in the Essentials plan, meaning I'd have to have the Ultimate plan or forever be stuck at V12 with several of my current plugins.
Could they not have given fair warning to long time users? I began using Waves back a V7 for some of my plugins. I didn't WUP every year, but I have done so a couple of times and have many at V12, 13, or 14. Now, I'm stuck having to pay at minimum $150 per year, and that won't cover all my current plugins. And 1/2 the plugs in Essentials are of no interest to me. I'd never use them.
I'd be less upset if Waves would let me include the plugs I currently have in an Essentials plan. Do that as a crossover offer at least. Then if I want new ones later, I can decide to upgrade to Ultimate or not.
Also, not all their loyal customers are full time studio guys/gals. I'm not. But that doesn't mean I don't want to be able to use the top pro gear and be as good as I possibly can be, even if I only do part time scoring or mixing work. Its like we're being shut out!

Old 03-28-2023, 10:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ::F-L-E-X:: View Post
Waves user here (for 25+ years) & have become accustomed to some of their shadier moves… but this one takes the biscuit.

Like many, I’ve invested thousands over the years, (& I’m not one of those big studios who can just write those losses off).

Despite having upgraded bundles gradually over the years, I decided a while back that I’m only really using a handful of their plugins, so decided to sell… only problem is that my Mercury & Studio Classics bundles are now essentially worthless, & my investment (& support for the company) are now entirely redundant.

So from me Waves… no long good-bye - just a middle finger (both hands)...
Seems like Waves doesn't even care. They are blind to the consumer and basically anti-consumer.

Guess when they will see a loss of customers over time.
Almost every plugin
Old 03-28-2023, 11:53 AM

Signing a petition and railing against WAVES Audio will not have any effect. The subscription only model was likely a key requirement for their ongoing and future bank financing arrangements.
Old 03-28-2023, 12:51 PM

A week ago I was about to renew my WUP after a very long time but changed my mind at the last minute. It would've been the same money to get a yearly subscription.. Anyway.

Just curious, will you be able to install individual plugins and not the full Essential or Ultimate bundles (kinda like Plugin Alliance's download system, just the plugins you need)?

I may subscribe so I can use H-Delay yearly for $249 basically, I really like it. Well, there's a few others that I am attached to, mainly their cheaper plugins like:

Doppler
Enigma
Metaflanger
MondoMod
Smack Attack
H-Delay

Wow I thought I used more than at least 10 Waves plugins and I own (not sure what that means today) most of them.

How many Waves plugins do you use?
(16GB RAM, 1TB SSD internal)
Samsung T7 x a few
Samsung 980 Pro x 2 (in Acasis TB/USB 4 enclosures)
Apogee Ensemble Thunderbolt (my hero)