Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Mac)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 09-26-2005, 12:42 PM

Default Studio Monitors

Hi,

Can someone recommend at least three(3) of the best studio monitors for under $1,000.00?

Thanks
AncientMan
Old 09-26-2005, 03:20 PM

Default Re: Studio Monitors

get KRK.
get KRK.
get KRK.
get KRK.
get KRK.
get KRK.
get KRK.
get KRK.
get KRK.
get KRK.
get KRK.
get KRK.

or maybe Genelec. but better:
get KRK.

www.audio-machinery.com
Old 09-26-2005, 08:35 PM

I've been using Mackie HR 624's for the past three years and I can't say enough good things about them. About $900 for the pair.
Old 09-26-2005, 10:33 PM

$1,000.00 Each, or Pair??
Music or TV or Film???
Old 09-26-2005, 11:53 PM

I've been getting good results with my alesis m1 active MKIIs. they were around $500 US.
Old 09-27-2005, 09:50 AM

Very happy with KRK V6s and V4s.
Old 09-27-2005, 11:07 AM

I recently acquired a pair of ADAM ANF-10 passive monitors and I love them. Like KRKs and the rest they want a subwoofer, but for $750 a pair they're a steal. Plus thet're rated up to 35khz so you can call home that lost doggie with them.
Old 09-27-2005, 07:26 PM

Tannoy Reveals dont lie to you about your mix. i love em!
Old 09-28-2005, 02:55 AM

Quote:
I've been getting good results with my alesis m1 active MKIIs. they were around $500 US.
I second the active M1's very good for the money.
Old 09-28-2005, 12:08 PM

I just did an intense direct comparison between the Mackie HR624s, Dynaudio BM5As and Genelec 8030As - all around the £700 mark.

The Genelecs sounded a bit 'flappy' round the bass and generally not very under control, but nice enough. I know them quite well and was just listening as a reference, I didn't want to get them.

The Dynaudios were underwhelming. I was expecting big things from what I had heard, but there was no 'sparkle' for me.

The Mackies easily sounded the best; crisp, deep and detailed. They were my original choice and I thought I was sold.

Then I went to another store and tried out the KRK V6 series II.

Bam.

I can't tell you how good they sounded. So much detail and tightly controlled over the entire spectrum. I was stunned. Up until two weeks ago I had never even heard of KRK! I had to rethink things through.

Just to make sure, I went home and slept on it, then went back the next day and got the guy there to set up the Mackies and the KRKs right next to each other in the booth. I took my singer/songwriter girlfriend along and we sat and did a direct comparison between the two for about an hour and a half with a selection of material both commercial and from our own setups.

The Mackies sounded fuller and warmer at first compared with a pronounced top end on the KRKs, but we quickly heard the subtleties between the two. The Mackies had less detail, were 'muggier' around the low-mid area, and it generally felt like every range was arriving at once, all together, with no clarity or distinction. This may be down to Mackie's obsessive need to boast a 'flat' frequency response, which didn't seem to flatter the sound at all to us.

The KRKs gave us everything; tight, clear, rich bass - clean, crisp highs - astonishing detail for each instrument and a more pronounced, definate stereo image, with the lead vocal being more 'there', in your face.

We tried a number of the monitoring options around the back of the Mackies (pads and passes and whatnot), but nothing gave them the 'zing' of the KRKs. They just sounded muffled and indistinct.

However I guess one thing that I should add is; these were all very, very good speakers. I gave them an intense test on identicle material I knew well and was getting into the subtleties for the benefit of my own music.

Every speaker, like every mike, have it's own unique tone. Each does different things well for different types of music and, most importantly, NONE WERE PERFECT.

Each had something about them that was a slight compromise on quality, but this is due to the price range. Were I to pay £2000+ for a pair or monitors then I'd be looking at a fantastic speaker set with true accurate representation.

As it is, I think that any of them would have been a good investment in the long run. I chose the KRKs because they just felt 'right' for me, with my music - I know I'm going to be happy with what I have because I did the research and found out for myself through using my ears.

Just like buying any pro audio gear, I would recommend anyone to do what I did; choose a budget, research like crazy (reviews, forums, word-of-mouth, industry 'standards'), choose the best contenders, test each in a uniform manner in a controlled environment and finally, trust your instincts.

But our definite conclusion was; the KRK V6 series II monitors are simply awesome. Clear, punchy, detailed, full and they look lush into the bargain. (and I mean bargain. Although it didn't factor in to the test, they're around £100 cheaper. Result!)

I'm sold, and as of yesterday, so were the pair in the shop!

Peace

Sonny
x