Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Digidesign Hardware & Software
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 07-05-2002, 02:12 PM

Default Need Help Identifying an Older Protools System

I met this guy selling an older Protools system, but I have no clue what it is. He said it's in a Mac Quadra 9700, which I assume is a nubus computer. It uses Protools software 3.x. For I/O it uses 2 442 Interfaces connected to their own cards for a total of eight voices. He also said that he's not sure, but he thought that farms could be added to them. What the heck is it?? He's selling it low and I thought it would be interesting to use until I got a bigger/better Protools rig. By the way, how would the 442 sound?? Seeing as how this seems to be a pretty archaic system, would the quality of the sound be any good? thanks!
Old 07-05-2002, 11:26 PM

Default Re: Need Help Identifying an Older Protools System

Never heard of a Mac Quadra 9700, so you might want to ask him to double check that! All of the Quadra models are listed here:

http://everymac.com/systems/apple/mac_quadra/index.html

The 442 Cards/Interfaces were for the NuBus system, and you'd also need a System Accelerator SCSI card (made by Grey Matter Response) with the drive(s) attached to it to use both 442 cards (without the SysAxe, you'd only get 4 voices).

DSP Farms are additional cards that added the ability to use software Plug-Ins, but you'd also need TDM Piggyback cards for the 442 Cards and the Plug-In software, neither of which are sold any longer.

This system was released in 1991.