How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > Pro Tools
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 11-21-2023, 05:48 PM

Default Melodyne Plugin Sluggish On Long Audio Clip

Hello,

I"m editing a vocal that was recorded live as a one continual wave...about 1.5 hours long. I (maybe foolishly) loaded the whole clip into the Melodyne plugin because it requires a fair bit of tuning.

The session has become very sluggish with spinning beach balls happening all the time. I notice it really slows down if I try to cut a blob in Melodyne.

Any suggestions how to get things running snappy again? I do a ton of Melodyne work on typical 3-4 minute vocal tracks and never have this kind of issues.

Any insight is appreciated.

Chris
Old 11-22-2023, 12:06 PM

Default Re: Melodyne Plugin Sluggish On Long Audio Clip

Separate the clip so each clip encompasses one song. Work on each song and commit the changes before moving to the next.

The better I drink, the more I mix

BTW, my name is Dave, but most people call me.........................Dave
Old 11-22-2023, 12:33 PM

This has already been discussed at length in the 18-page Melodyne ARA thread.

I personally find that even that usual "smaller-section" method Albee just suggested does not particularly help. Even if I set up a new "Melodyne Fixes" track, and only copy a small vocal line, consolidate it, then enable Melodyne ARA - I am in a world of beachballs from that point on. Sometimes the beachball auto-clears if left for a minute, sometimes not. Saving becomes torture.

If lucky, once the Melodyne tuning is complete, and I commit and place the fixed chunk back into the main non-Melodyne-enabled vocal track, and deactivate the "Melodyne Fixes" track - it still beachballs. It's like enabling Melodyne ARA even once in a session screws it forever.

So I would recommend saving an entirely separate copy of the session for the sole purpose of Melodyne ARA fixes, and do your work in that copy. Commit (or bounce via a bus to a new track) the fixes. Then, once you're happy - open your original session and import the fixed, consolidated vocals without any Melodyne ARA enabled at all.
Old 11-22-2023, 01:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tweakhead View Post
This has already been discussed at length in the 18-page Melodyne ARA thread.
I think the OP is talking about the plug-in rather than ARA version. Though your comments may still be applicable.
Old 11-22-2023, 05:28 PM

Thanks guys…helpful stuff.

Yes I decided to use the plugin because my experience doing long clips with ARA is even worse…non stop saving ara data.

I’ll try cutting the clips into smaller pieces and see how that goes.

Thanks!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 11-23-2023, 03:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by albee1952 View Post
Separate the clip so each clip encompasses one song. Work on each song and commit the changes before moving to the next.
That's the winner...thanks! You probably saved me a good hour in beach ball delays not to mention the frustration!

Cheers!