Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > Windows
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 10-30-2023, 06:41 AM

Default Can you suggest a windows laptop with good LatencyMon results?

Hi everyone,

Can anyone tell me a Windows laptop that has excellent performance after testing with the LatencyMon application?
information: https://www.resplendence.com/latencymon

I currently have a 2020 DELL G7 7790 notebook (i7 CPU, 32Gb Ram, etc.), use Pro Tools and a UAD Universal Audio Apollo Twin X Quad Heritage Edition interface.
During recording the CPU usage counter constantly shoots towards 100%.
The LatencyMon test presents terrible results as shown in the photo; I consulted various tutorials and articles, implementing the suggested changes, I reinstalled various versions of Windows (Home, Professional, LTSC 1809, LTSC IOT 21H2, 22H2), trying both with Windows Update updates and from the official Dell website, but there is nothing to do, the result does not change.
Instead of getting lost in a jungle of tweaks and modding, I would rather sell my Dell G7 and buy a new laptop that works well in audio.

I discovered this article https://www.notebookcheck.net/DPC-La....504376.0.html
which lists laptops based on LatencyMon results.
If you can point me to a notebook that doesn't cause problems I would be grateful, considering that it must also have a Thunderbolt 3 (or 4) socket necessary for the Apollo.

I also want to point out that in addition to the notebook I have a fixed desktop PC which is working wonderfully, it is a PC assembled with a Gigabyte z590 vision D motherboard, i7 CPU, 64Gb Ram, etc. and LatencyMon gives great results.
I thought that it was enough to make the same optimizations in Windows and in the BIOS to be able to have a "mobile copy" of my desktop system on the notebook, but unfortunately this is not the case.

Thanks in advance to anyone who wants to answer me.

Angelo
Attached Images
File Type: jpg LATENCYMON.jpg (57.3 KB, 0 views)
Old 10-30-2023, 09:59 AM

Default Re: Can you suggest a windows laptop with good LatencyMon results?

Have you done all the Avid optimizations? See the Help Us Help You link at the top of each forum.

Also, here are a few links to look at:

http://duc.avid.com/showthread.php?t=377580

https://www.tenforums.com/tutorials/...a.html#option4

https://duc.avid.com/showthread.php?t=410360

Otherwise, some on the forum have had good luck with Lenovo laptops. Do a search for them.
SonoBus
Source-Connect: brucehayward
Options for Remote Direction
Old 11-04-2023, 04:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by angelofumarola View Post
Hi everyone,

Can anyone tell me a Windows laptop that has excellent performance after testing with the LatencyMon application?

I currently have a 2020 DELL G7 7790 notebook (i7 CPU, 32Gb Ram, etc.), use Pro Tools and a UAD Universal Audio Apollo Twin X Quad Heritage Edition interface.
During recording the CPU usage counter constantly shoots towards 100%.
The LatencyMon test presents terrible results as shown in the photo; I consulted various tutorials and articles, implementing the suggested changes, I reinstalled various versions of Windows (Home, Professional, LTSC 1809, LTSC IOT 21H2, 22H2), trying both with Windows Update updates and from the official Dell website, but there is nothing to do, the result does not change.
Instead of getting lost in a jungle of tweaks and modding, I would rather sell my Dell G7 and buy a new laptop that works well in audio.

I discovered this article https://www.notebookcheck.net/DPC-La....504376.0.html
which lists laptops based on LatencyMon results.
If you can point me to a notebook that doesn't cause problems I would be grateful, considering that it must also have a Thunderbolt 3 (or 4) socket necessary for the Apollo.

I also want to point out that in addition to the notebook I have a fixed desktop PC which is working wonderfully, it is a PC assembled with a Gigabyte z590 vision D motherboard, i7 CPU, 64Gb Ram, etc. and LatencyMon gives great results.
I thought that it was enough to make the same optimizations in Windows and in the BIOS to be able to have a "mobile copy" of my desktop system on the notebook, but unfortunately this is not the case.

Thanks in advance to anyone who wants to answer me.

Angelo
I use a HP Omen Laptop 2018, with similar specs as yours. Did a lot of latencymon testing in the beginning. I found that the 'ACPI control method battery' was the worst enemy to latencymon measurments results, and Pro tools performance. Simply inactivating it in the device manager made a huge difference. However, in doing so, the battery is likely to get damaged, and even swell, and if so, possibly causing fatal hw cracks. After experimenting and using the PC with it inactivated when using it for pro tools, for some time (months), i had to replace the battery. No swelling/cracks though. Sweetwater article talk about this. If you dare, you can make a test.

Further, when using latencymon, I configured PT to run on cores 2-12, and Latencymon to run on cores 0-1, while monitoring cores 2-12. Not sure if it made a difference to the latencymon results or not, but it seemed reasonable to me to do so.

As said here on the thread, do the optiimizations á la Avid as far as possible on your dell. On top of that i follow the optimization advice given by youtuber Mike on his channel Creative Sauce, and that made quite a difference.

And a 'hunch' tells me you should try the - configure PT to run on all cores but the lowest one or two - trick

Yeah - it's a mess, but finally it works good enough.

/T
Old 11-09-2023, 07:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by angelofumarola View Post
Hi everyone,

Dunno. I've never used LatencyMon.

Out of curiosity, I installed in on an ancient (11-12 yr) underpowered HP ProBook 4730s laptop, 8 GB ram, old i7 quadcore, with Intel built in graphics. I took all Win 10 updates, maxed the power options, disabled blue tooth & wifi, no devices attaced to laptop, and then ran LatencyMon for a full hour. It said "Conclusion: Your system appears to be suitable for handling real-time audio..." and all green graphs.

So, what does that tell you? If (big IF) your Dell is properly optimized & the OS is fully up-to-date, you "should" not have any LatecyMon issues.

Have you checked all hardware as well? CheckDisk? Mem test? etc?
Click for audio/video demo
Click for resume
Old 11-10-2023, 03:29 PM

This is luck of the draw really. One bad driver or odd WiFi card or strange BlueTooth chipset and you can get bad results.

When I looked at this a few years ago, Razer were recommended by the folks at UA. I had good luck with a Clevo, which is an OEM product. But that was a while back.

In the end I opted for Mac, as CoreAudio was always written with priority and didn't have the same problems. But there are versions of MacOS with a similar problem now......

I did go into a store and try downloading latencymon onto a few of the machines. As pointed out, the ACPI battery service is lousy on a lot of laptops. If you ignore that one (because it's a common problem, and it's possible to disable that service) you might find a machine which doesn't have any glaring problems.

Dominic
Old 11-12-2023, 01:26 AM

Lenovo, yes, I have heard it and experienced it myself. So I have for sound projects specially Lenovo laptop. I bought it in this regard so that it would be as powerful as possible, but I did not invest in the video card. I think it does not matter so much, unlike the gamers. Players need a powerful video card, that is certain. Improve me if any audio project requires it too!?