Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Post Production > Post - Surround - Video
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 09-02-2015, 01:00 PM

Default PD-1 lag/punch problems with 11/12.x

I’ve been troubleshooting a PD-1 issue the last few days. I’m out of ideas, & curious if any of you had any insight.

With PT11-12.1HD we get inconsistent punches (audio flamming), & a lag when coming out of record via the PD-1 paddles. With PT10 this is not the case, it is near sample accurate.
I originally thought this was the Low Latency USB422 driver with mavericks/yosemite issue, I rolled back to OS 10.8.5 so I could test with the standard non-patched driver & install PT10HD to compare.
PT12 on OS 10.8.5 is also showing the problem so that rules out the driver.
All SyncHD's are clocked to a common wordclock & receiving video ref. I’ve tried different clock scenarios (Video vs Word) no difference. I’ve confirmed that both PT10 & 12 9-pin prefs match, I can’t think of any PD-1 menu options that might help.
Is this just an problem with PT post ver 10?
Old 09-02-2015, 04:35 PM

Default Re: PD-1 lag/punch problems with 11/12.x

Quote:
Originally Posted by vieris View Post
I’ve been troubleshooting a PD-1 issue the last few days. I’m out of ideas, & curious if any of you had any insight.

With PT11-12.1HD we get inconsistent punches (audio flamming), & a lag when coming out of record via the PD-1 paddles. With PT10 this is not the case, it is near sample accurate.
I originally thought this was the Low Latency USB422 driver with mavericks/yosemite issue, I rolled back to OS 10.8.5 so I could test with the standard non-patched driver & install PT10HD to compare.
PT12 on OS 10.8.5 is also showing the problem so that rules out the driver.
All SyncHD's are clocked to a common wordclock & receiving video ref. I’ve tried different clock scenarios (Video vs Word) no difference. I’ve confirmed that both PT10 & 12 9-pin prefs match, I can’t think of any PD-1 menu options that might help.
Is this just an problem with PT post ver 10?
Is delay comp on, and are you cascading recording tracks?
Old 09-02-2015, 05:02 PM

Nope, compensation is off/no cascading. It's a punch accuracy issue with 11/12 only.
Here is an image from a test punch. You can see the in/out point error. It's an odd one, PT10 same hardware no issue.
https://flic.kr/p/y8w8bs
Old 09-02-2015, 05:07 PM

PT 12 is fine if you manually punch in with the surface/mouse it's only via the PD-1.
Old 09-02-2015, 09:27 PM

Vieris,
Quote:
PT 12 is fine if you manually punch in with the surface/mouse it's only via the PD-1
With respect, what you show is not a "punch accuracy" but rather is a "positional accuracy" problem. Are your certain the problem happens ONLY when punching via PD-1? Is the source audio coming from exactly the same system in both cases? In other words, are you changing only the record system from 10 to 11/12, with NO OTHER CHANGE? Are you using LTC as positional reference? I am wondering if PT 11/12 is not locking up with the same precision as PT10, but there are variables that are unknown (to me).
Old 09-02-2015, 11:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Postman View Post
Vieris,
With respect, what you show is not a "punch accuracy" but rather is a "positional accuracy" problem. Are your certain the problem happens ONLY when punching via PD-1? Is the source audio coming from exactly the same system in both cases? In other words, are you changing only the record system from 10 to 11/12, with NO OTHER CHANGE? Are you using LTC as positional reference? I am wondering if PT 11/12 is not locking up with the same precision as PT10, but there are variables that are unknown (to me).
You are correct it is a "positional accuracy" problem. PT10 is the only change.

The setup is as follows.
  • Four systems total.
  • Two source rigs running PT12HD (HDX3, & HD Native)
  • The recorder in question (HD Native) Running PTHD 10/11/12, & the PD-1
  • Video playback system.
  • All are satellite linked.
  • All have house wordclock, video ref, & LTC set for positional ref.
  • I/O interconnect is MADI.
It would be great if someone could recreate this following simple test.
  • From two systems connected via satellite link, record tone from the source system into a recorder with the PD-1.
  • Make a PD-1 punch with the same source audio content & confirm "positional accuracy".
  • Compare PT 11/12 vs 10.

Last edited by vieris; 09-03-2015 at 12:07 AM.