Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Hardware > Pro Tools | Carbon
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 10-03-2023, 11:13 PM

Default using Two Carbons together ?

Is it possible to have them both connected having 16 DSP's this way AND more outputs . This way we can use it for real Dolby Atmos instead of the max 8 outputs with one device.

we can only dream.

http://www.pm-mastering-studio.com

SYSTEM 1 : Main recording - HDX MAC Pro 2023 M2 Ultra Running Sonoma 14.4
ProTools Ultimate 2024.3.1| 1xHDX Card | Mac Pro M2 Ultra 128Ram 2TB|2x PRE |2x Audient PRE 880| 1x Avid 96 |1x Avid 192 I/O 16/16 Analogue | 1x Avid HD I/0 16/16 Analgue | Avid MTRX Studio + Thunderbolt 3 Interface
Midi I/O | D-Command ES +16 fader Pack | Xmon | Eleven Rack + Dolby Atmos 7.1.4 Surround Adam S3H speaker System

System 2 : Project System - ProTools CARBON Running Sonoma 14.4
MacStudio M2 Ultra |64 GB RAM | ProTools 2024.3 Ultimate/Studio | SSL2+ | AVID S1+DOCK + ProTools|Carbon + ProTools|Carbon PRE

System 3 : Dolby Atmos Renderer Running Sonoma 14.4
MacMini M2 Pro |16 GB RAM | Avid MTRX Studio (Thunderbolt3)
Old 10-04-2023, 12:06 AM

Default Re: using Two Carbons together ?

Edit: this capability was added, read down old post deleted.
---

Last edited by Darryl Ramm; 11-21-2023 at 12:52 PM.
Old 10-04-2023, 01:25 AM

You can use up to 10 outputs for surround on one Carbon.

Dominic
Old 10-04-2023, 12:40 PM

16 output with the adat
Old 10-04-2023, 03:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jlthermi View Post
16 output with the adat
10 analog, 16 ADAT and 4 stereo headphone channels, for a total of 34 outputs.

But if you want to use the Surround volume control on the Carbon, then you have 10 which is the 8 analog on DB25 plus the 2 monitor outputs. That's the "native" Carbon setup for surround, either 6, 8 or 10 channels, all accesible from inside PT in the Setup -> Hardware menu.

Dominic
Old 10-06-2023, 07:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dominicperry View Post
10 analog, 16 ADAT and 4 stereo headphone channels, for a total of 34 outputs.

But if you want to use the Surround volume control on the Carbon, then you have 10 which is the 8 analog on DB25 plus the 2 monitor outputs. That's the "native" Carbon setup for surround, either 6, 8 or 10 channels, all accesible from inside PT in the Setup -> Hardware menu.

Dominic
Ive also learned recently that you can add another Carbon and use it like a carbon pre, but it wont allow you to expand DSP, you are still stuck with 8.

I dont think it expands monitoring for surround though. I would be interested to try it.
Old 11-18-2023, 05:37 PM

To echo the latter comments, one can now use two carbons together. Powering on a unit while holding the INPUT button will boot it into pre mode - essentially using the analog i/o (and ADAT connectivity). So yes this dumbs down the carbon but allows your second carbon to be a "pre" as part of the Carbon expanded system. I tried this reboot today, and in Audio Midi Setup it showed my Carbon as a second Pre. I then repeated the boot / INPUT button hold and it restored it as a Carbon.

I'm actually somewhat shocked that Avid would allow such flexibility.
Old 11-21-2023, 12:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by scremedy View Post
To echo the latter comments, one can now use two carbons together. Powering on a unit while holding the INPUT button will boot it into pre mode - essentially using the analog i/o (and ADAT connectivity). So yes this dumbs down the carbon but allows your second carbon to be a "pre" as part of the Carbon expanded system. I tried this reboot today, and in Audio Midi Setup it showed my Carbon as a second Pre. I then repeated the boot / INPUT button hold and it restored it as a Carbon.

I'm actually somewhat shocked that Avid would allow such flexibility.
Wow!
Old 11-22-2023, 06:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eightamrock View Post
Ive also learned recently that you can add another Carbon and use it like a carbon pre, but it wont allow you to expand DSP, you are still stuck with 8.

I dont think it expands monitoring for surround though. I would be interested to try it.
"but it wont allow you to expand DSP, you are still stuck with 8."
So to clarify what you mean buy "still stuck with 8" Can we assume mean you are still only able to access the 8 DSP chips on the initial booted Carbon interface and the 2 nd one, then acts only as a $1000 more expansive Carbon Pre but gives you 4 more HP outputs ?

Enjoy the Journey
.... Kev...
Old 11-22-2023, 08:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by K Roche View Post
"but it wont allow you to expand DSP, you are still stuck with 8."
So to clarify what you mean buy "still stuck with 8" Can we assume mean you are still only able to access the 8 DSP chips on the initial booted Carbon interface and the 2 nd one, then acts only as a $1000 more expansive Carbon Pre but gives you 4 more HP outputs ?
I actually dont know if you can access the HP outputs on the second carbon if its in "pre" mode.

I will say that the opportunity that DOES present itself is to pick up a used carbon that is in fairly decent shape, they go for 2-3k on reverb, set it up to extend your system in pre mode and then you have a backup in case your main unit ever ****s the bed during a session. So you can spend the same money as you would for a new CP, and get a little more piece of mind for uninterrupted sessions.