Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Mac)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 07-24-2008, 04:00 PM

Default Mutiple Mac Pro Tools Network: Master - Pro Tools / Slave - Plug-Ins Set Up

Hey Digi people what's good? I have a situation with CPU processing power thats forcing me to upgrade to a more powerful mac. I run big sessions (lots of tracks and lots of instrument and processing plug-ins.) Now I was getting into Vienna Symphonic stuff and I came across their page on the new Vienna Ensemble 3 in with they claim:
"This mixing and host software incorporates the first all-in-one MIDI and audio LAN solution that works universally on Macs and PCs. Developed exclusively for Vienna Instruments, it makes conducting your orchestra over a network a breeze. Run your sequencer on your main computer, launch Vienna Ensemble 3 on the slave computer, and simply connect them using an Ethernet cable. With the sequencer on your main computer and Vienna Ensemble 3 with Vienna Instruments plug-ins on your slave computer, you can easily route the audio streams of a whole arsenal of computers back to your main machine and mix where your effect plug-ins are installed. The Vienna Instruments plug-ins preserve your main computer’s CPU capacities – the computing (including GUI rendering) and streaming from hard disk is done on the slave computer."
I am going to have 2 macs in a few days, so naturally the concept came to as to why not run ALL my plug ins on one mac as a slave and run pro-tools on the other as a master. The problem is I know little of networking so I was hoping some one here could let me know if this was possible and how to do it.

Thanks,

Norman

Last edited by [email protected]; 07-25-2008 at 11:35 AM. Reason: grammatical error
Old 07-26-2008, 04:39 PM

Pro Tools does not support this.

"Fly High Freeee click psst tic tic tic click Bird Yeah!" - dave911

Thank you,

Craig
Old 06-07-2014, 11:47 AM

Default Re: Mutiple Mac Pro Tools Network: Master - Pro Tools / Slave - Plug-Ins Set Up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Craig F View Post
Pro Tools does not support this.
Its been almost 4 years.

Could this be done today, or is ProTools still unsupported ?

[I have a 2008 8-core MacPro that I want to use as a slave ...]

Thanks,
G
Old 06-07-2014, 12:48 PM

Default Re: Mutiple Mac Pro Tools Network: Master - Pro Tools / Slave - Plug-Ins Set Up

processes load sharing is still a no
splitting the session up and using Satellite to have other systems chase can work but the audio does need an interface

"Fly High Freeee click psst tic tic tic click Bird Yeah!" - dave911

Thank you,

Craig
Old 06-11-2014, 07:41 AM

Thanks for reply.

Now I've decided to get rid of my old Mac Pro,
and go for an external thunderbolt solution for my PCIe Cards.
Should be future-proof and portable.

Geir