Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > Tips & Tricks
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 02-05-2007, 10:15 PM

Default Audio suite effects on an audio track question

Hello all, I'm a bit stucked and I'm pretty sure some of you will be able to gimmie a little help.

How can you apply an andio suite effect to a precise part or section of an audio track, but have the effect heard to all the reste of the track? Here's a simple example to clear my question: let's say I wanna apply a long fat reverb to a very precise part of my audio track, let's say here a snare at 2:30 for exemple. A reverb applied only on that precise snare. Ok I select that snare in my audio track then get a D-Verb and apply the effect to that selected audio part. Cool, but... The thing is that the reverb effect, the long and fat decay that I want will not be applied to the rest of the audio track, but only INTO the selected area (in that case, the snare itself) so as soon as the reverb effect reaches the end of the selection, it abruptly stops. I want that precise and only snare to cause reverb and be able to hear the total effect of it with the decay applied to the all rest of the track even after the selected area and not only within the selection. I hope I'm clear enough with my exemple, it's a bit difficult to explain with words but I guess some of you will know what I am talking about.

Well, how can I achieve that?? I know it might sound simple for you maybe, but damn really, I still just can not figure how!!

Thanks!!

Drone / Ambient / Experimental
Old 02-06-2007, 07:20 AM

Default Re: Audio suite effects on an audio track question

After selecting the snare:
1. Separate it as a region.
2. Tab to the end of the region and make a marker there.
3. Trim the audio after the snare until it is far enough away not to be affected by the verb tail.
4. Select the snare and the blank time following, and process with the AS verb. Make a marker at the end of the verb tail.
5. In Grid mode, with "Regions/Markers" as your grid type, trim the following audio back to the first marker.
6. Do a full square crossfade between the markers. By "full square" I mean that both sides get the L shape where one side of the L is at the top. That effectively mixes the two pieces of audio together with no envelope.
7. Delete the two new markers if desired.
8. Simmer on low for 15 minutes, stirring occasionally.
9. Garnish with cilantro and serve over basmati rice.

PT 2023.12 Ultimate | Clarett+ 8Pre | macOS 13.6.3 on a MacBook Pro M1 Max
PT 2023.12 | Saffire Pro 40 | Win10 latest, HP Z440 64GB
Old 02-06-2007, 08:54 AM

Wow, many thanks daeron80 for your great input!! Very appreciated, really.

I knew there was a way to achieve that somewhere but man I couldn't figure how. Pretty frustrating, there is no part dedicated to that specific kind of audio editing in the Pro Tools Guide.

Cheers mate!!! Basmati rice time!!

Old 02-06-2007, 10:46 AM

or i think that you can just select from the starting point of the snare sample all the way to the starting point of the next snare hit....that should do the trick...unless the verb is going through the next snare sample, then you would use the previous technique.
Old 02-06-2007, 11:10 AM

Quote:
or i think that you can just select from the starting point of the snare sample all the way to the starting point of the next snare hit....that should do the trick...unless the verb is going through the next snare sample, then you would use the previous technique.
Hmm if I understand what you are saying, nope this is exactly what I was doing in fact, selecting a section of the audio track (the single snare hit here in my exemple) and then the verb was only applied to that paticular selection, without having the decay and the tail of the verb applied to the rest of the audio track. The reverb effect was only applied INTO that selection, even with a long decay, the tail is abrutly cut and only contained into that selection without expanding it's tail into the rest of the audio track.

Old 02-06-2007, 11:47 AM

it is my understanding that you are only selecting the snare sample, you should select the snare sample and the rest of the region up to the start of the next snare sample.
Old 02-08-2007, 07:03 AM

Yeah Chris101010010101010101010110101011101011010101010 , that is another interesting option. Well, both methods are great really, yours is quicker than crossfading with markers, but the crossfade method keeps everything clean and all in the same track.

Thanks for your input and good idea.

Old 02-08-2007, 08:25 AM

You could also set up an aux for the "loud reverb" on another track, and automate the send from your snare track so it only sends for that one hit.