Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Post Production > Post - Surround - Video
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 09-08-2003, 05:39 PM

Default OT-DA88 heads

First, let me apologize for this OT topic, but I'm in a hurry and with so many post proffesionals here, may be one can help, bearing in mind that the old DA88 is a standard in post file interchange.

My DA88 died today and I need to use it ASAP. Apparently the problem is the head. With no service facility here that stocks the part, my only choice would to buy a head in the US market. Can anybody provide a link for a place selling heads? I e-mailed Tascam but is not responding. Also the Tascam forums are down since a few days.

Any help would be appreciated,Tks a lot.

Ric
Old 09-09-2003, 06:00 AM

Default Re: OT-DA88 heads

Are you really set up to replace the heads? Do you replace other rotating heads regularly, like DAT heads? Do you have the alignment tapes? If not, I highly recommend that you pack it up and ship the deck to a Tascam service center (call ahead and get a price, they charge one price for the job). The last time I did this it took a little more than a week for the turn-around, so for you that would be probably double. Is there a way to rent a deck during that time?
Old 09-09-2003, 01:44 PM

I wouldn't even think about changing the heads myself. The thing is that the local Tascam representative do not stock the head, and the only local Tascam service center do not have it either, and when he quoted the part, he talked about 800 bucks and 30 days! So I'll have to provide the part myself.
I've just rented an unit. Pity that my unit is like brand new. Only 650 hours on the heads.According to Tascam, early units had weak heads that do not last more than that. I'd like to repair it for those few jobs that call for it. Nowadays, I just ship a firewire disk and everybody's happy, but in this case Fox insist in a DA-88 secondary copy. Grrrrr...

®®
Old 09-09-2003, 08:15 PM

Talk to Eddie Ciletti, he is the go to guy for this kind of stuff. I used to visit his shop when he was still in NYC and he specializes in DA88's among other things. His website has all of the info: www.tangible-technology.com
Old 09-09-2003, 08:32 PM

Can you send it to the Tascam service center in California USA? I imagine it would only take a phone call to set it up. They will definitely do the job properly.
Old 09-12-2003, 01:09 AM

Contact Norick @: 818-754-0467

Audio Design & Service
10764 Vanowen St.
N. Hollywood, CA 91605