Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Post Production > Post - Surround - Video
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 03-28-2013, 08:50 AM

Default Discovery CANADA

I am about to start a new 5.1 show for The Discovery Channel. Now I have asked this question before but that was about two years ago and lot can change in that time. I have not received the Spec sheet yet. So I was wondering if anyone else has an idea of what they will expect with regards too.

1. What could i guess the LKFS meter be -22? -24?

2. What should I set my NuGen VisLM meter to? ITU-R BS 1770? ASTC A/85? Dialog LKFS? Im confused by the little differences between the Specs when setting up the meter. (hoping that it will be written on the Spec Sheet i.e.. -24 ITU-BS 1770) that would be ideal but obviously but not likely.

3. Its a Doc type show so sync Dial as well as VO. Should I put it all in the centre channel? Or sync dial in Left and Right and VO Centre only.

Personally most shows I do right now for other networks I have mixed with sync dial on the left and right only and VO in the centre mainly and a bit in the left and right as well. Almost Like VO is GOD approach i think it sounds better and blends better with the Sync Dial. I personally hate when every bit of dail and VO is in the centre channel only. I think it sounds so weak IMO. Just a lot of music and ambiance. I get it for Movies or heavy SFX shows but not Docs. But perhaps it sounds amazing on TV I have no idea. I don't have a HD Rogers Box to hear a 5.1 Mix on air.

Thanks in advance for any input.

kd
Old 03-28-2013, 09:35 AM

Default Re: Discovery CANADA

I have the latest disco global 2013 specs in front of me at the moment and see nothing about where elements can be place in 5.1... in fact the whole document is pretty stereo centric, 5.1 is mentioned in one place where they say they need a stereo version too and thats it.

MKD Creative
Old 03-28-2013, 10:25 PM

Default Re: Discovery CANADA

thanks a bunch.

kd