Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools TDM Systems (Mac)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 02-22-2003, 03:43 PM

Default New G4 dual 125 Good News

Just to inform some future Mac purchasers. I just traded in my wind tunnel G4 1 gig mirror for a new G4 dual 125 mirror computer. You can hardly hear it run. Before i hooked anything up or even opened the side I ran the update on everything from the Apple site. I installed a Nividia G force Ti card and an additional 1.5 gig of ram=1.75 total and my Atto 64 dual scsi controller. I installed my HD1 card and ran the OS 10 install, installed the plug ins and the MIDI i/o drivers. I turned off the automatic update and ran PT's. At this time I can't find a thing wrong with this setup. I had to run the MIDI I/O setup and that went smooth as well. The only 2 small complaints is that (1) For some reason or other I have to log in everytime I do something with the computer and(2) PT's creates two folders in all my drives ( I/O Settings and Grooves). Meaning I could create a folder ex: Song 1 on my SCSI drive and I'll get those 2 folders listed prior on my desktop. As far as opening up songs that were created in 9.2.2 they all open and work flawlessly. Amp Farm and all my Digi plug ins work so far. One real cool thing is that as the song is playing I can open up plugins and close them without stopping the song. I'm gonna play for a few more hours and see if all is well and then take a deep breath and try Waves V4 plug ins and hopefully all will be well. Last night before I packed up the G$ wind tunnel I ran OS X and the Waves V4 with mass destruction. The plugins worked until I shut down my computer and returned after dinner. My clock and dates defaulted to 1969 and the Waves pop up came up saying that my trial version had expired.After that I would set my date and clock and save the settings but once I rebooted it went back to 1969.Agghhh !! We'll see what happens tonight.
Old 02-22-2003, 04:02 PM

Default Re: New G4 dual 125 Good News

Maybe your Mac's internal battery has died. It keeps the clock going when power is off. They're small purple ones, usually, in a clip on the mother board.
Old 02-22-2003, 05:43 PM

http://discussions.info.apple.com/[email protected]/0

OS 10.2.4 may be your date problem.

170 posts and growing...
Old 02-22-2003, 09:46 PM

ppine..Wow, I saw the complaints. Very glad I trashed the wind tunnel G4. The new one has none of the problems.You should see this machine process an effect when merging to a wave file..Smokin. So far all the Waves plug-ins works great. I've had this machine running now 8hrs and no crashes or freeze ups.Fixed the login problem by enabling automatic login. Still can't figure out the 2 files that keep creating themselves on all hard drives. The only concern on this new machine would be the heat. This mother gets very hot. They opened up the front of these machines and also in the back and does it pump heat. Other than that stable and quiet.
Old 02-23-2003, 07:45 AM

How did you trade in your old machine? I to have the dual 1 gig jet engined machine and I am still appalled at the noise of this machine.

Is this something you did through apple, or was it a private sale? If private how much did you get for the machine
Old 02-23-2003, 08:01 AM

For $20 Apple will swap out your noisy power supply and fans for quieter ones.

Hopefully this link works: Apple Exchange

Busch.
Old 02-23-2003, 10:24 AM

I bought my computer from a dealer and they gave me $1500 on my wind tunnel and paid $2100 for my new one. After many hours of use 20+ hours I am finding that even the new machine does make a considerable amount of noise. Not as loud as the G4 dual gig, but it is noisier than a P4 pc and it still blows ALOT of heat. I opened the side and felt around and you can't even touch the processor cooling fins. I'm not sure how much heat the internal components can handle but I hope it's alot. My HD 1 card and especially my Hard drive is HOT to the touch. No doubt about it, it's a HOT machine. I am using 10.2.4 and the bug listed with the time and date has no effect on this machine. PT's works flawlessly (so far) and the only downfalls that I see at this time is the noise and heat. I will list later on if I find anything else.
Old 02-23-2003, 02:36 PM

It finally happened. 2 days of pleasure and now PAIN. The new 10.2.4 does effect the new G4's as well. I'm in 1969 and reformatting as we speak.Planet X you're a smart man. I'm just about ready to remove Nuendo from my PC and put my HD System on it. Does anyone have success with a P4/PT's rig ? Thanks, Tom
Old 02-24-2003, 12:14 AM

Thanks for the info. I think I will try the power supply option first.