Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools SE and Essential (Win)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 10-08-2010, 10:07 PM

Default Audio detected by interface, not recording in software

I recently bought the Avid Recording Studio, with the M Audio Fast Track interface and Pro Tools SE software. I have installed the software correctly, and set up everything as it states in the user manual.

The interface is receiving a signal from my instrument (as noted by the signal/peak lights activating). I create a project in the ProTools SE software and enable the track to record, as outlined in the user manual. However, when I play the instrument, the interface console itself receives a signal from the instrument, although there is nothing recording into the software. The software itself is not receiving the signal from the interface box.

To rule out the common problems, you can be rest assured that the interface box is indeed connected to my computer via USB, and that the volume knob on my guitar is open. The Fast Track interface is the default recording device recognized by the ProTools SE software, and my computer itself recognizes it (and it is set as the default recording device). Also, the gain on the box is at 50%.

I will attempt a full uninstall/reinstall as I await your replies.

Thanks!
Old 10-09-2010, 02:43 AM

Default Re: Audio detected by interface, not recording in software

what kind of track are you using? should be an audio track, since instrument tracks are for plug-ins.
Old 10-09-2010, 06:29 AM

I'm having the exact same issue....
Old 10-09-2010, 08:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by omega708 View Post
I'm having the exact same issue....
I figured out the issue.

On the Audio track itself, there is a number, and then the word 'Audio.' Apparently, that number is your input channel - channel 1 is the microphone, channel 2 is the instrument. Just select the number 2 and you'll be golden.

In our defense, the user manual does not show this, and the support forums still state that the input selector is on the unit itself (which it's not). In fact, the software shown by the user manual is NOT the same version of the software that we receive in the package, so it is of absolutely no help at all. The instruction tutorial literally say, 'plug in your instrument and begin playing.'
Old 10-09-2010, 04:30 PM

I had figured that portion out. What wasn't intuitively obvious to me was the fact that you have to hit the play button after hitting the record button. I guess I've been using Audacity too long...
Old 10-13-2010, 02:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by StratoGuy2003 View Post
In our defense, the user manual does not show this
I read this in the Recording Studio manual and it told me what to do:

Page 16 step 7 clearly says:
Click on the Input Selector (In) to the left of the track name, and choose the appropriate in- put source. Choose “Input 1” for the Microphone input or “Input 2”for the Instrument input.

I didn't remember having to figure this out for myself.
Old 11-22-2010, 06:58 PM

I beleive I'm having a similar problem. When I record vocals it's like the software can't even play it. When the waveform for the vocals is supposed to be played all I hear is either static or nothing at all.
Old 11-23-2010, 02:08 AM

Ok, so we can help - can you give us a bit more info?

Here are a few starter questions...

Which interface are you using?
Is the track with the vocal on muted? Are the other tracks soloed? Is the master track fader up?
Old 11-30-2010, 01:05 AM

I've had a lot of issues today as I'm sure you guys can tell from my other two threads, But I've solved all those issues on my own and after 15 hours of tinkering with it today, I got pro tools to load on XP, HURRAY or so I thought, the last issue I had was the 'unable to locate avid hardware' error when Pro Tools loads up, which was fixed when I switched to the left USB port on the front of my PC, but in doing that, it no longer says connected on the driver itself, it only does that when its on the right USB port. So when PT loads I can load up an audio track and play it but cannot record over it.
Old 11-30-2010, 08:11 AM

It sounds like your USB ports aren't creating enough power for the interface.
Have you tried using a powered USB hub?