Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools TDM Systems (Mac)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 02-24-2004, 07:00 PM

Default Re: Top reasons to NOT upgrade to OSX

1. Unless your bent on using SoftSampleCell, find another sampler and move on.
2. Rock solid. Less things can be attributed to the "ghost in the machine" in OS X. If it's happening, there's a reason and a resolution.
3. Pro Tools never had ADC. What are you getting at?
4. SCSI is like both tape and OS 9. I've been using ATA and FW without incident, and without the worries of drivers, IDs, cabling, termination, etc.
5. Unless your bent on using the TC|MasterX5 or LexiVerb, I don't believe this is an issue. I have a "conspiracy theory" as to why there is no MasterX5 for OS X, but this is not the place for that.
6. If you want to use a G5, you have to use OS X.
Old 02-24-2004, 07:40 PM

Quote:

1. 3rd party software related (ie soft sampler)?
2. Stability?
3. ADC?
4. SCSI support?
5. Plug-in development?
6. Other?
1. everything works in OSX. you may have to upgrade, but it works great. soft samplecell was never as great a product as the new batch of soft samplers.

2. rock solid

3. your point? PT never had ADC. OS9 vs. OSX has nothing to so with it.

4. You won't need scsi. get a firewire hot swap. you can drag a scsi drive bay along for compatibility...

5. all the plug in developers are making plugs for osx. if it doesn't exist for osx, it's legacy.

6. osx is rock solid stable. much more so than os9.

jr
Old 02-24-2004, 08:40 PM

Good feedback, thanks! Sounds like the OSX environment is much better than I perceived it. My crappy little list was just a starting point (don't know why I included ADC... what was I thinking/dreaming? ). If there's no other GOTCHAS involved other than cost of course, I think I'll go ahead and make upgrade plans. Thanks again for your input.
Old 02-24-2004, 08:43 PM

Quote:
I realize answers will vary depending on individual needs, but I'd like to get some feedback about what you think are the top issues that still need to be addressed to get back-level TDM users like myself to finally bite the OSX bullet? In other words, what are the biggest reasons to NOT upgrade to OSX for PT?

Is it:

1. 3rd party software related (ie soft sampler)?
2. Stability?
3. ADC?
4. SCSI support?
5. Plug-in development?
6. Other?
The Big advantage in OS X is Multi-processor Support I am using a Dual 1.42 G4 - it screams, I have had no problems with stability. Plus Accel - 5 Amp farms on ONE chip, dozens of URS, Pultec's and Sony EQ's and it hardly uses any DSP. I have been using Panther with SCSI and have found a major improvement over 10.2. Firewire 800 speeds are better than Firewire 400. Logic with EXS-24 has worked great for me as I have been a long time Samplecell user, everthing is in EXS-24 that I always wanted in Samplecell.
Hey and don't forget all the new free BF plug-ins. Plus all the OS X only PI Waves IR-1, Impact, and Revibe (Out soon)
Old 02-24-2004, 08:44 PM

Quote:
Quote:
If you use softsamplers and want more than one stereo output you're SOL.
I believe the bundled software (Reason specifically) is mostly given as a teaser.
I'm sure the full version (I havn't gone for it yet) makes full use of I believe 32 outs.
Reason is a very specific tool and not a very in depth soft sampler. The only hope for multiple output softsamplers at the moment (besides GIGA in a seperate machine) is VSTi's wrapped in a VST to REWIRE adapter. There's one called BIDULE that I'm told works and I'm going to try it in a couple of days when I have time. I'll report back on the results.
Old 02-24-2004, 08:48 PM

+ Free BF w / OSX.
Old 02-24-2004, 10:19 PM

The decision not to upgrade our TDM systems is simply client driven. So far, our clients (from corporate to musical) are very happy with what we are able to do with the 24/48 systems.

Having said that, when business dictates the move, we'll make the jump. We actually have an AMIII system in the video studio, and that system is strictly OSX, and LE runs very well on it.

I'd be interested to see how many of you guys have these systems for your own writing/recording needs, or if you use them in a commercial environment.
Old 02-24-2004, 10:55 PM

Mine is strictly commercial.
(970) 663-1650
InSight Sound Web Page
Old 02-25-2004, 12:21 AM

for most of the people I know still using 9.2.2 the top reason for NOT upgrading is: they dont want to buy plugins and use kracks.
maybe cool for a student, very uncool for a professional (how I think)

good luck, ringo.fire

PT6.2.2 + HD2+ 96i/o
G5 1.8 + Panther
focusrite ISA 428

www.atomino-studio.de

Old 02-25-2004, 06:55 AM

Quote:
Good feedback, thanks! .... If there's no other GOTCHAS involved other than cost of course, I think I'll go ahead and make upgrade plans. Thanks again for your input.
Well, COST will be an issue.

You will have to address:

1. some hardware issues (SCSI vs. firewire vs. SATA)
2. upgrade your plugs. in my case, the cost of plugin upgrades almost equalled the cost of the PTHD accel - but was well worth it.
3. utilities: such as toast, disk warrior, stuffit, etc.
4. soft sampler sound library conversions - if you're just moving to a soft sampler or are finally retiring your hardware (I kept my rack of 8 roland 760's until just recently - now that Mach5 is working great) - factor in conversion time...

Now, I don't see this as negatives - just some issues that cost some $. If you are prepared for it, then no surprises.

best of luck upgrading.

jr