Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools 11
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 04-25-2014, 10:33 AM

Default Ugraded to 11/10.3.8 co-install, Komplete 8 Ultimate, Hybrid gone

So I just upgraded from Pro Tools 10.2 to 11.1.2/10.3.8 co-install. Before I upgraded, I checked in the NI Service center and noticed in the "Updates" area I had all the AAX 64-bit compatibility for PT11 updates ready for download. I chose not to download them yet as I did not have PT11 yet.

When upgrading to PT11 I had to get a new computer that would be compatible (new specs updated on my sig.), so I transferred everything on my hard drive over to the new one using Migration Assistant.

After a long week of installing PT11 and updating/upgrading most of my other 3rd party plugs, with the exception of Hybrid (which is also gone - there's another gripe!), everything else seems to be working fine, except I'm still having trouble with K8U. It's all gone from PT11. They're not showing up in the plugin pull-down menus. (I assume this is because they're not the new AAX versions.)

But now when I use the NI Service Center to try to get all the updates, they're gone from the "Updates" section anymore. I notice they're all in the "Activate" section (with most of the activation codes already filled in). But I presume these are the old RTAS ones meant for 10.3.8. And when I try and activate them, I get this error message: "Not activated - Internal error during activation procedure. (5)." The actual plugs show up in the 10.3.8 co-install, but when inserting one of them in one of those sessions, it makes me either buy it or run in demo mode. It doesn't seem to recognize the current activation. Do I need to somehow deauthorize them on my old computer first? (Not sure how to do that.)

And how do I get the new updates back? They've disappeared from the NI Service Center altogether. I keep getting the same error message pretty much when I try to do anything there (tried several times now).

Anybody else having similar issues? I've contacted NI for support, but no response yet. Thought I'd see if anyone here has any insight.
1 G-Drive Pro 4 TB
2 G-Drive 6 TB
ProTools 2021.3.1
Melodyne 5
Soundtoys Bundle 5.3.2
Omnisphere 2.6.2
Massey L2007
Superior Drummer 2.3.2
Komplete 13 Ultimate
Old 04-26-2014, 04:08 AM

Default Re: Ugraded to 11/10.3.8 co-install, Komplete 8 Ultimate, Hybrid gone

YOu made the hugest of mistakes when you used Migration Assassin (aka Assistant) to bring stuff over from your old install. MA was never meant to bring old programs over - just data. You're going to have to bite the bullet, reformat your hard drive and re-install everything from scratch. Yes - that means digging out your K8 dvd's and spending some quality time shuffling disks in and out of the drive. And if the new computer doesn't have an optical drive they're cheap enough to buy at your local Best Buy or whatever store like that you have in your area. Heck even Amazon sells them.

When you're done doing that start NI Service Center and more likely than not you'll have to update SC; it may well happen automatically but you should get a notice of that. You shouldn't have to de-authorize your old computer - you could ask over in the NI forums but be aware there's no forum for Komplete as such; you'd have to ask in one of the other forums and I'd try the one for Kontakt first.

Oh yeah - forgot to mention this: when you do get everything authorized (if you really need to) be sure to save off to dvd or another hard drive the updates you download from NI. That's easy enough to do before you do the actual update because the plugins don't update on their own - you have to do that manually. I save all my updates off to dvd so I have them should the machine crash or I need to do a quick re-install as I don't keep my studio machine on the net.

QAPLA!
Old 04-26-2014, 05:11 AM

Likely just a reinstall from the U8 drive of the apps (not content) if your content is intact and on separate drives.
Each will need to relink their content but this goes much faster.

Your only loss in 11 will be Battery3 for AAX is only with Battery4
Old 04-26-2014, 05:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DetroitT View Post
Likely just a reinstall from the U8 drive of the apps (not content) if your content is intact and on separate drives.
Each will need to relink their content but this goes much faster.

Your only loss in 11 will be Battery3 for AAX is only with Battery4
I missed the op had K8U.

But for Battery 3 he could run it inside Blue Cat MB7-2 or Patchwork in PT11.

QAPLA!
Old 04-26-2014, 06:55 AM

Thanks for the replies guys.

Quote:
Originally Posted by musicman691 View Post
Yes - that means digging out your K8 dvd's and spending some quality time shuffling disks in and out of the drive.
Actually it's all in a single hard drive, makes it a lot easier. I'm actually okay with reinstalling all of K8U if I have to, but what I'm mainly concerned with is will a reinstall keep all my custom presets? Because I have quite a few of them which are pretty important to me. Do you know if it will do that? Or how to make it do that?

All in all, Migration Assassin seemed to work pretty well for me. I've done it before, when I got that last computer. No troubles at all that time (except I didn't have K8U then.) And this time there were quite a few more headaches (obviously this being one of them). But I think it's far less a headache than I'd be dealing with loading in everything from scratch (all my apps and all - and trying to keep all my preferences, etc.).

Quote:
when you do get everything authorized (if you really need to) be sure to save off to dvd or another hard drive the updates you download from NI.
Yes, I've already done that. I actually went back to my old computer and ran the NI Service Center on that computer and all the updates were there. (I guess it's all tied to the particular computer.) I downloaded them all and then threw them on a flash drive and uploaded them to the new computer, waiting to install.

So what would be the process here? Do I uninstall K8U, then reinstall from the installation drive (I guess that would be to get all the apps back for the 10.3.8 coinstall?), then run the Service Center to get them all authorized, then install the AAX updates (I guess that would be for 11)?

From DetroitT (Sorry, I don't know how to multi-quote from different posters): "Likely just a reinstall from the U8 drive of the apps (not content) if your content is intact and on separate drives."

Yes, I have all the content on a separate drive, thank god.

Again from DetroitT: "Your only loss in 11 will be Battery3 for AAX is only with Battery."

Yes, that blows, but I was kinda figuring in that part at least. I'm planning to biting the bullet and upgrading to 4 on that one. Again, I have some custom presets (kits) on 3, do you know if it will retain those?
1 G-Drive Pro 4 TB
2 G-Drive 6 TB
ProTools 2021.3.1
Melodyne 5
Soundtoys Bundle 5.3.2
Omnisphere 2.6.2
Massey L2007
Superior Drummer 2.3.2
Komplete 13 Ultimate
Old 04-26-2014, 07:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shanegrla View Post
Thanks for the replies guys.

Actually it's all in a single hard drive, makes it a lot easier. I'm actually okay with reinstalling all of K8U if I have to, but what I'm mainly concerned with is will a reinstall keep all my custom presets? Because I have quite a few of them which are pretty important to me. Do you know if it will do that? Or how to make it do that?

All in all, Migration Assassin seemed to work pretty well for me. I've done it before, when I got that last computer. No troubles at all that time (except I didn't have K8U then.) And this time there were quite a few more headaches (obviously this being one of them). But I think it's far less a headache than I'd be dealing with loading in everything from scratch (all my apps and all - and trying to keep all my preferences, etc.).

Yes, I've already done that. I actually went back to my old computer and ran the NI Service Center on that computer and all the updates were there. (I guess it's all tied to the particular computer.) I downloaded them all and then threw them on a flash drive and uploaded them to the new computer, waiting to install.

So what would be the process here? Do I uninstall K8U, then reinstall from the installation drive (I guess that would be to get all the apps back for the 10.3.8 coinstall?), then run the Service Center to get them all authorized, then install the AAX updates (I guess that would be for 11)?

From DetroitT (Sorry, I don't know how to multi-quote from different posters): "Likely just a reinstall from the U8 drive of the apps (not content) if your content is intact and on separate drives."

Yes, I have all the content on a separate drive, thank god.

Again from DetroitT: "Your only loss in 11 will be Battery3 for AAX is only with Battery."

Yes, that blows, but I was kinda figuring in that part at least. I'm planning to biting the bullet and upgrading to 4 on that one. Again, I have some custom presets (kits) on 3, do you know if it will retain those?
First off multi-quotes from different posters is easy. There's a little quote icon in the lower right of each post that when you hover over it shows words to the effect: multi-quote. When you have all those you wish to quote clicked there hit quote on the last person and a page will come up with everything on it waiting for you to do your thing.

As far as custom presets I'd save those off to a thumb drive or such and then reinstall clean everything from the K8U hard drive. You got lucky before with Migration Assassin but not now. It's never a good idea to sue it to bring programs over as you never know what gremlins will come over onto a new system. You'll not find one person here who recommends using it for anything other than personal data.

As far as procedure - wipe everything NI off your system drive. Repair permissions, reboot. Reinstall everything from the NI drive, do any authorizations, and then download and install any updates you get through Service Center. If there's any aax64 updates you'll get them through that except for as you know Battery 4. Something if you don't know about it is that Battery 4 drops most of the analog kits in Battery 3. But that was taken care of by a Battery 4 update that when run updates your old Battery 3 kits to work in Battery 4 no problem or workaround. Even without that particular update you can play Battery 3 kits in Battery 4; you just have to use the browser to do so. The update supposedly puts the old kits in the normal Battery 4 kit choice realm.

QAPLA!
Old 04-26-2014, 08:18 AM

Thanks about the multiquote thing, got it now.

Quote:
As far as custom presets I'd save those off to a thumb drive or such. . .
Not sure how to do that. Can you teach me? I dug around in the NI areas of Applications and Application Support in my HD and I didn't see anything that looked like what I was looking for. Definitely could've been looking in the wrong place, of course. Could that stuff be located on my external drive where all the sample libraries are located?

Also, like I mentioned before, I got the AAX updates already (downloaded and grabbed them from NI Service Center on my old computer and loaded them onto the new computer via flash drive.) I can just use those installers for those updaters, right? (Instead of downloading and installing them from NI Service Center on the new computer - if they're even there.)
1 G-Drive Pro 4 TB
2 G-Drive 6 TB
ProTools 2021.3.1
Melodyne 5
Soundtoys Bundle 5.3.2
Omnisphere 2.6.2
Massey L2007
Superior Drummer 2.3.2
Komplete 13 Ultimate
Old 04-26-2014, 01:48 PM

Quote:
Thanks about the multiquote thing, got it now.

Not sure how to do that. Can you teach me? I dug around in the NI areas of Applications and Application Support in my HD and I didn't see anything that looked like what I was looking for. Definitely could've been looking in the wrong place, of course. Could that stuff be located on my external drive where all the sample libraries are located?

Also, like I mentioned before, I got the AAX updates already (downloaded and grabbed them from NI Service Center on my old computer and loaded them onto the new computer via flash drive.) I can just use those installers for those updaters, right? (Instead of downloading and installing them from NI Service Center on the new computer - if they're even there.)
As to saving off your presets do you remember where you saved them from within the Battery 3 gui? That's the best way to find them. Elsewise you're going to have to manually search for them until you find a name you recognize. Sorry. They could be saved anywheres. That's why it's good to keep notes on where you put things, especially with NI stuff as there are multiple areas presets and such hide that you wouldn't ordinarily think of. For example some of the preset stuff gets saved off to the shared users folder - look there.

If you have the latest updates then you can just bring them over via flash drive and install them on the new machine. Of course you're going to have to have the new machine online long enough to do any authorizations for the new computer.

If you having a co-install of PT10 and PT11 on your computer - if you haven't done so already - install the latest version of PT10 first and then install latest version of PT11. There's something in the way folders are created that if you do it the other way around you could have problems.

QAPLA!
Old 04-27-2014, 03:34 PM

So I went ahead and just did the uninstall/reinstall of all of K8U. Then I downloaded the updates again from the Service Center on the new computer and installed all those. It worked. It wasn't super easy, had to reinstall a couple things a couple times for it to take, but at least they all seem to have made it. All is now good in PT11.

And happy to report all of my custom presets are still there. Didn't even have to do anything. They must've just stuck around from not being completely wiped out when I did the uninstall. What a huge relief!

Thanks for all your help. Things should be all good now.
1 G-Drive Pro 4 TB
2 G-Drive 6 TB
ProTools 2021.3.1
Melodyne 5
Soundtoys Bundle 5.3.2
Omnisphere 2.6.2
Massey L2007
Superior Drummer 2.3.2
Komplete 13 Ultimate
Old 04-28-2014, 03:35 AM

Quote:
So I went ahead and just did the uninstall/reinstall of all of K8U. Then I downloaded the updates again from the Service Center on the new computer and installed all those. It worked. It wasn't super easy, had to reinstall a couple things a couple times for it to take, but at least they all seem to have made it. All is now good in PT11.

And happy to report all of my custom presets are still there. Didn't even have to do anything. They must've just stuck around from not being completely wiped out when I did the uninstall. What a huge relief!

Thanks for all your help. Things should be all good now.
Beautiful that it all worked out for you, and that you didn't have to reconstruct your custom presets. Like I said it's weird where NI puts stuff that you'd never think to look for it.

A word of warning if you do decide at some point to get K9U - the SSL effect emulations in GR5 get stripped out and are provided as standalone effects in K9U. If you want to have them also in GR5 you have to get in touch with NI support and they should be able to help you out.

QAPLA!