Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > Tips & Tricks
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 06-24-2007, 06:11 AM

Default Focusrite preamp- digital???

Hi, I just bought a Focusrite Master Track single strip channel preamp. I've been using Mix plus system on a PC, I have the 888/24 interface which I have hooked up to an old analog Seck mixer, 18-8-2, it is connected using the 8 sub channels which I active on the pres (18th) channels, the pres channels on the mixer have 4 EQ settings, top, 2 mids and bottom, I've been getting a great vocal sound using the Seck so far, but alway's ready to try something new so I bought the Focusrite.

I connected the Focusrite direct to the 888/24 and started recording direct throught the mic input (on the Focusrite)... the thing is... I can't hear a noticable better difference using the Focusrite??? I think I'm getting a better sound going throught the pres on the Seck mixer? I made a few vocal test recordings using Sure KSM27 mic and this seems to be the results. Could it be that the pres on the Seck are just so good or what? It's an English made mixer in top condition, or is it the 888/24? and the rule... "notthing will get better then the weekest part of the chain"

I was wondering about the Digital Card that can be added to the Focusrite???? Would that make a big difference? Just wondering maybe I'm just missing something???
Old 06-24-2007, 09:24 AM

Default Re: Focusrite preamp- digital???

well, the seck stuff isnt good at all - but was good value in its day.

I'd say this has more to do with either

a) subjective opinion.
b) your own experience at hearing the differences.
c) poor monitoring conditions.

either way, there should be a difference between seck and focusrite (any focusrite really). What is your experience level?

cheers
Old 06-25-2007, 12:15 PM

Quote:
well, the seck stuff isnt good at all - but was good value in its day.

I'd say this has more to do with either

a) subjective opinion.
b) your own experience at hearing the differences.
c) poor monitoring conditions.

either way, there should be a difference between seck and focusrite (any focusrite really). What is your experience level?

cheers

Hi and thanks for taking the time to help out. I guess my question is a bit critical and not easy to answer. My experience level? Well I’m not a professional engineer with a degree, I’ve been recording for a few years using computer and before that using tape. I think my hearing is very good and I’ve had great comments on my work from other recording engineers that are pro. I think I can say that I’m pretty good getting the best out of what I have. I’ve been a musician for over 30 years, released 2 albums that were recorded in a commercial recording studio. I mainly use my studio for my music but I have recorded, played on and produced for others as well.

I came up with an idea while reading your post... about getting someone with more experience and good “ears” to check this out with me… I do agree with you that the Focusrite should sound better then the Seck otherwise I wouldn’t have bought it. I’ll get that sorted out with fresh ears

Thanks again for the help!
Old 06-25-2007, 02:16 PM

Here's a couple questions that might be part of the issue:

What are your levels generally when recording? Where does your typical vocal recording peak, and where is the average level on the meter?

When you listen to the vocal tests, do you listen solo'ed, or in the mix?
Old 06-25-2007, 02:41 PM

Quote:
[…] the Focusrite should sound better then the Seck otherwise I wouldn’t have bought it. I’ll get that sorted out with fresh ears
Why should the Focusrite sound better — because the ads say so? With a street price of $399 [$649 List —source: Sweetwater)] how good a pre-amp is it reasonable to expect, considering that the unit also houses Input Impedance switching, DI facilities, optical compression, EQ (albeit rudimentary), monitoring facilities, etc.

Also, some Speck mixers featured mic pres with input transformers (the TrakMaster does not). Transformers impart a sound all their own, and perhaps that’s what you prefer when comparing the two. By all means, rest your ears. After that, trust them — or at least don’t dismiss them and what they’re telling you too quickly.

IHTH.

We’ll fix it in the shrink-wrap. (Frank Zappa)

Old 06-26-2007, 12:42 PM

Quote:
Quote:
[…] the Focusrite should sound better then the Seck otherwise I wouldn’t have bought it. I’ll get that sorted out with fresh ears
Why should the Focusrite sound better — because the ads say so? With a street price of $399 [$649 List —source: Sweetwater)] how good a pre-amp is it reasonable to expect, considering that the unit also houses Input Impedance switching, DI facilities, optical compression, EQ (albeit rudimentary), monitoring facilities, etc.

Also, some Speck mixers featured mic pres with input transformers (the TrakMaster does not). Transformers impart a sound all their own, and perhaps that’s what you prefer when comparing the two. By all means, rest your ears. After that, trust them — or at least don’t dismiss them and what they’re telling you too quickly.

IHTH.
Thank you Andre for your information’s, help and encouragement I realy appreciate it.
I think my hearing is the best "gear" I have... so like you said... why should I stop trusting them

Yes you a have good point regarding the Focusrite and it's something worth thinking about, I know that the Seck was often sold bundled with Fostex multitrack machines 15-20 years ago and was very popuilar mixer in the UK back then and many albums recorded using it, and thought it's old it doesn't have to mean it can't deliever a good sound still but maybe different.

Regarding the question above from PTUser NYC about the recording signal, I don't record too hot and not too low either and I have a clean signal with no distortion on both the Seck recording and the Focusrite, I listen both solo and mixed, through headphones (AKG K240S which I use for tracking) and through monitors, so maybe this is just an opinion of mine .... maybe I just like the sound from the Seck pres more then from the Focusrite at the moment... The Focusrite looks like a very simple preamp and user friendly .. probably just have to give it some time and try different settings/levels.

Thanks again, Svenni