Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > Licensing & Accounts
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Closed Thread

Old 03-03-2024, 02:23 AM

Default Pro Tools Trial does not work

Hello there,

I had tried the Pro Tools Trial in December without problems. Unfortunately my computer broke down and after setting up the hew computer I wanted to continue on the project I started.
So I registered for the Pro Tools Ultimate Trial again.
Installment was no problem, but it only starts Pro Tools Intro.
The license is in my digital iLok (aka program), but I can't activate it. iLok states that I need a USB iLok to activate the Ultimate Trial, but I don't own a iLok USB-drive.

Did I do something wrong? Is this a bug? Or do I need an iLok USB-drive now for the Trial?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg ProTools-license-snap.jpg (35.4 KB, 0 views)
Old 03-03-2024, 06:27 AM

Default Re: Pro Tools Trial does not work

You can install the trial license to either iLok cloud or USB.
The trial expires after 30 days, so I think the issue is that your previous license expired and you are trying to activate another trial.

I’m also guessing that Intro does not offer enough tracks to finish your project, but you could buy a 1 month subscription just to finish things.

System Details
Old 03-03-2024, 08:33 AM

Ok, but I used a different E-Mail adress, so I thought my first trial does not "count"?
It's a complete new subscrition to the trial with a complete new installment from scratch.
The license stored in the new installed iLok looks to me like it's valide and just has to be activated, but this does not work.
I can't find any information about it and all documentation about the trial don't seem to work. I would like to understand the issue.

Yes, it's ~60 tracks, so ProTools Intro is not an option.
Old 03-03-2024, 10:37 AM

The trial is for one month, if you are expecting folks here to help you bypass those terms you are in the wrong place, if you need a license subscribe for a month. You likely can just use a monthly Pro Tools Studio subscription, and don't nee Ultimate (unless you are doing video/post).

Last edited by Darryl Ramm; 03-03-2024 at 11:14 AM.
Old 03-03-2024, 11:57 AM

I'm not expecting help to bypass any terms. I'm just puzzled that iLok shows me a valid 30 days trial license and it can't be activated.
As you can see in the screenshot, as far as I understand, the license is valid and just can't be activated.
It would make sense to me if it's the same mail address, but it's not. It's (partly) even a different computer...
Old 03-03-2024, 12:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JNDerek View Post
I'm not expecting help to bypass any terms. I'm just puzzled that iLok shows me a valid 30 days trial license and it can't be activated.
As you can see in the screenshot, as far as I understand, the license is valid and just can't be activated.
It would make sense to me if it's the same mail address, but it's not. It's (partly) even a different computer...
You exactly are trying to violate terms of the trial by using different registrations to extending beyond one month.

I understand what you are asking, and how technically interesting that might be, but you likely have run into iLok licensing protection features. Responding to your question would involve speculating about how licensing is enforced and how that might be bypassed and that discussion is directly again the terms of use of DUC.

Your choice is clear, you can subscribe to Pro Tools or purchase a perpetual license. And the cost for a one month studio subscription is fairly low if you need to finish what you started. Please stop asking for stuff folks here can't help you with. This thread may well get removed even as is.
Old 03-03-2024, 01:25 PM

Technically I only used less than half of it, because my computer died on me

However, I didn't want to cause any trouble or violating any terms. Sorry about that!
Last questions and I hope it does not go in the area of violating any terms again:
So it's a safety feature and not a bug or a undocumented change in the new version that doesn't allow cloud verification for trial anymore?
Would it work with a dongle then as stated in iLok?
Closed Thread