How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > Pro Tools
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 09-28-2023, 01:26 AM

Default Upgrades.

Hello there.

I've been using pro tools 12.5 for a long time now. I'm running it on a mac book pro which in order to continue using this version of pro tools is on 10.11.6. El Capitan.
I'm recently starting to get fed up with being unable to download plug ins and the like due to the operating system being quite old now.

I've decided it might be time for an upgrade.

Is it possible to upgrade a couple of versions up ?
Or do I have to buy the latest version ?
I want to do a one off payment. What are my options ?
If I pay for an upgrade I won't be needing to update every year, I've managed on 12.5 for a long time now without constant updates etc.
I'm really looking to upgrade and then stay on that version for a while.

There seem to be so many options. I've heard that you can upgrade and when the year runs out you can still use the software but without updates and support, which is fine for me.

At the same time I have also heard that you can only buy an annual subscription which stops working after a year.

If that's the case then I'll have to stay with my 12.5 as there's no way I'm paying for music making as a hobby on an annual basis.
At the same time all of my projects are on pro tools so I'm in a bind.

Any clarification would be much appreciated.

Thanks.

Jess.
Old 09-28-2023, 01:37 AM

Default Re: Upgrades.

Hi, welcome to the community.

By upgrading you can choose from whatever version from 12.6 to current, but that "current" will be parked after 12 months if you choose to not renew your support and upgrade plan.
Old 09-28-2023, 06:22 AM

You should probably have a look to make sure your computer is compatible with whatever OS and version of Pro Tools you’d like to go to.

https://avid.secure.force.com/pkb/ar...rating-Systems
Old 09-30-2023, 02:19 AM

Okay thanks. But what do you mean by parked ?
Does that mean that after a year I won't be able to use pro tools unless I pay another years subscription ?

Or does it mean that I can continue using the upgrade but without updates support etc ?
Old 09-30-2023, 02:25 AM

Parking a version means you will not get new updates unless you pay for it again. Perpetual license means you have the ability to run PT versions available to you on the date your support contract lapsed, but not newer.
Old 10-01-2023, 01:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by its2loud View Post
You should probably have a look to make sure your computer is compatible with whatever OS and version of Pro Tools you’d like to go to.

https://avid.secure.force.com/pkb/ar...rating-Systems
Furthermore, you might need to check with apple, which osx version is the latest that is supported on you mac. I assume yours is old (El Capitain is around 2012 as I recall).

I had that problem - could not upgrade pro tools, because PT required newer osx version than my old mac could install.