How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > macOS
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 11-27-2011, 07:17 AM

Default Midi Editor Issue

Hi Guys,
I am having a weird issue with my midi editor. When I record midi into Pro Tools, then open the midi editor and quantize my performance the notes aren't locking on to the grid properly.. For example if I quantize to the bar and then zoom in really close, the notes are fractionally off the bar (less then a 64th note off), and I can't move them exactly on to the bar (in grid mode or slip mode)... So when I slip edit the midi region up to the start of the first chord (in the edit window), it cuts that chord! As you can imagine this is really annoying! Anyone have any ideas why this might be occuring???

Here's my set up:

Mac Book Pro (Lion 10.7.1)

Pro Tools M-Powered 9

M-Audio Mobile Pre Interface
Old 11-27-2011, 07:55 AM

Default Re: Midi Editor Issue

Just before this thread gets going I would like to draw users attention to this thread...

http://duc.avid.com/showthread.php?t...antize+problem

I feel this users pain as I seem to be experiencing the exact same bug, and it seems he never got this issue sorted. This is despite the fact that he had direct contact with Digi support... It seems the only person on the thread that couldn't see the problem was Digi support... Here's a quote from the user in correspondence with DigiSuppport from the end of the above thread;

"I just noticed your previous posts that explain away the problem by saying:

"In the second image there is one note NOT selected, as it's start point occurs in the previous measure."

Please! This is the problem!!!! I know that they don't get selected because they are in the previous measure!!!!!! Drawing notes in grid mode & bars/beats mode often results in the notes ending up in the previous measure, this is the bug that we're trying to fix!!!!!

Therefore, in short... DigiSupport, please take careful note of this thread before replying....

Thank You...
Old 12-12-2011, 04:01 AM

I'm surprised there is still no fix from Avid to this annoying and persistent problem !
Old 12-12-2011, 05:51 PM

This could be a Sample rounding issue.
Old 12-29-2011, 12:38 PM

I have decided to spark this thread up again as I am still having this problem which is seriously hindering my work flow... The midi editor is pretty much useless with this issue...

Could Filosofem or someone please explain this "sample rounding issue"???? I am clutching at straws now!

It feels like Avid are just ignoring this issue!
Old 12-29-2011, 02:47 PM

Read, Digital Audio Explained for the Audio Engineer by Nika Aldrich. Ummm... there is not much you can do, perhaps remove the note and manually apply a new one.
Old 02-21-2012, 01:27 PM

Any one find a solution for this yet? I am still having this problem even after upgrading from Pro Tools 9 to 10. It is ridiculous! A lot of my work involves midi and I am considering seeking a refund and finding an alternative DAW.