Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > Virtual Instruments
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 09-05-2008, 02:05 PM

Default missing expand .dat file

I've been using expand unsuccessfully for about 2 weeks, it says I'm missing a .dat file, which I'm told contains expands sound libarary. I tried reinstalling expand several times with no luck, how do I go about finding this missing file?
Old 09-05-2008, 03:36 PM
Avid

Default Re: missing expand .dat file

It sounds like you may have downloaded and installed the plug-in from our site, but don't have the installed CD with the content.

You can get the installer CD from the Digistore or from your local dealer.
Old 09-05-2008, 07:11 PM

I was under the impression that the pro tools CD (which contains expand and its set up driver) was all i needed when I purchased the pro tools "bundle package".
Old 09-06-2008, 01:43 AM
Administrator

If you have a recent Pro Tools installation DVD with the Xpand! installer, then you should already have the Xpand!.dat file you need. Do a search on your computer for that file name.

You should also have a PDF named Set Xpand! Content Location.pdf with the following information:
Quote:
Set Xpand!™ Content Location

Dear Digidesign Customer,

If you have manually moved the Xpand!.dat file to a different location on your computer, you must run the “Set Xpand! Content Location” application to tell the plug-in where to find its data.

Please follow these instructions to update the content location:

1. Put the Xpand! Content Location application next to the Xpand!.dat content file.

2. Double click the application to run it.

3. In the following dialog click “OK” to reset the file directory (hitting “Cancel” will abort without a change).

The next time Xpand! is used, the content should be recognized correctly.
If you are able to find the Xpand!.dat file (600MB) but you are not able to find the Set Xpand! Content Location application, you can download it from the Xpand product section, along with the most recent updater for your system:
www.digidesign.com/air/xpand
Old 09-06-2008, 07:52 AM

I moved the expand .dat file into the expand content folder so it was next to it as you stated and double clicked ok, however when i treid to launch expand it was nonresponsive along with pro tools
Old 09-06-2008, 12:24 PM

Default Re: missing expand .dat file,

The problem was a dirty installion disc. I wasn't able to download the "full installion" of expand, only the plug-in which doesn't include expands.dat file. Once I realized CRC(cyclic redudancy check) meant I needed to clean my disc so my PC could read the file, I was good as new. Appreciate the help!