Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Hardware > Pro Tools | Carbon
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 03-08-2024, 11:57 AM

Default Re: Performance Degradation with Carbon and Sonoma?

Ditto!
Old 03-09-2024, 07:29 AM
Avid

Thanks Mark for chiming in :)

Your fan " Marianna "

[email protected]
cell +1 (813) 493-6800
AOL IM avidmarianna
Twitter Avidmarianna

We're Avid. Learn more at www.avid.com
Old 03-16-2024, 08:24 AM

Hi

It's been a few days now since this last post. I would like to update to 2024.3. I have a Mac Studio M2 running sonoma 14.3.1 Using Carbon as my interface, as posted on avid (Pro Tools Carbon can experience performance degradation and potential dropouts) I seen somewhere in a post that this is only with high track count. I do have practice sessions with up to 40 stereo audio tracks, will I possibly experience these problems with that track count?

Thanks, Tony
Old 03-16-2024, 12:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MCorbin View Post
Hey all

There is an Apple AVB bug that shows degraded the performance for Carbon with Sonoma.

In our testing, we see signal drop outs across most Sample Rates and Hardware Buffer sizes when there is heavy load placed on Carbon. Sometimes it happens immediately, sometimes over a long duration.

A typical test session has 16 tracks in DSP mode along with 32+ tracks in record.

Can you use Carbon with Sonoma.... sure, but I didn't feel comfortable qualifying with this kind of behavior.

However, if you have a bit more flexibility and tolerance in your workflow, then Sonoma should be fine.

So Pro Tools 24.3 works great with Carbon... but Carbon on Sonoma does not work great. We qualify hardware for OS separately from Pro Tools for OS. In Carbon's case, it is always logged here:

https://avidtech.my.salesforce-sites...s#requirements

I hope this is helpful for you all!

mark
Hey thanks Mark for the clarification. I have been holding off updating to 2024.3 because of some of the reported bugs. But since I am on Ventura 13.2 .1 - I may give it try

Enjoy the Journey
.... Kev...
Old 03-17-2024, 02:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tonyw7 View Post
Hi

It's been a few days now since this last post. I would like to update to 2024.3. I have a Mac Studio M2 running sonoma 14.3.1 Using Carbon as my interface, as posted on avid (Pro Tools Carbon can experience performance degradation and potential dropouts) I seen somewhere in a post that this is only with high track count. I do have practice sessions with up to 40 stereo audio tracks, will I possibly experience these problems with that track count?

Thanks, Tony
Tony,

I don't think anything is going to change much in a few days. You said you read something somewhere - that is this thread.
Anyway, the problem here isn't Pro Tools 2024.3 - it's Sonoma and Carbon. And you are already running Sonoma and Carbon, so the best person to answer your question is you!
Also, on a Mac you can rename your existing version of Pro Tools (e.g. from Pro Tools to Pro Tools Old) and install 2024.3 and run that instead and see if it's ok for you. But I really don't think PT is the problem here and upgrading / downgrading Sonoma to earlier versions or to Ventura is a lot more hassle than just downloading the latest version of PT and giving it a go.

Dominic
Old 03-17-2024, 03:13 PM

If you really need to do this, test away, throw a new clean install of Sonoma on a spare volume on the boot drive or on a separate SSD. Install 2024.3 and test away. Should be around an hour to set up enough to test?

I doubt anybody is going to be silly enough to assure a user that they won't have a problem in situations like this.