How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > Pro Tools
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 02-13-2024, 05:13 PM

Default Reinstalling drivers for ProTools 2018

Hi,

I am trying to solve a problem I have with running Softube plugins (on a separate thread).

I read a forum thread that said he solved the problem by reinstalling the Protools drivers. (https://duc.avid.com/showthread.php?t=385171). But this was for an older different version of Protools.

I was wondering - if there is no separate installer for Protools drivers, then do you have to reinstall the entire program to reinstall them?

In the case of reinstalling the entire program - Do I have to uninstall it first? Will I keep all my plugins intact?
Old 02-13-2024, 05:33 PM

Default Re: Reinstalling drivers for ProTools 2018

If nothing but Softube plugins is causing a problem, I can’t imagine a Pro Tools reinstall will fix it. You can indeed choose, if you decide to try it anyway, to JUST reinstall PT and the HD driver. And yes, on Windows, it’s always best to uninstall your current PT first. Used to be you HAD to do it that way…uninstall, install.
Old 02-13-2024, 11:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nOrakat View Post
Hi,

I am trying to solve a problem I have with running Softube plugins (on a separate thread).

I read a forum thread that said he solved the problem by reinstalling the Protools drivers. (https://duc.avid.com/showthread.php?t=385171). But this was for an older different version of Protools.

I was wondering - if there is no separate installer for Protools drivers, then do you have to reinstall the entire program to reinstall them?
Huh? There exactly *is* a separate installer for the Pro Tools HD driver for HD native and HDX hardware. In the Driver Installer folder in the installer distribution.

But you don't have a HD or HDX system right? So you should not have the driver installed. And without the hardware being present the drivers won't load so are not going to be able to cause problems. So all this is irrelevant. And even if you had HD native or HDX the drivers are not likely to be causing this problem.

Quote:
In the case of reinstalling the entire program - Do I have to uninstall it first? Will I keep all my plugins intact?
Uninstalling Pro Tools is likely a waste of time. It almost always is. It's one of the very last things to try.

Uninstalling Pro Tools does not remove plugins. But removing (and reinstalling plugins) is exactly what you likely should be doing.

In future please follow the DUC rules and post your related questions to one thread.
Old 02-15-2024, 06:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sw rec View Post
If nothing but Softube plugins is causing a problem, I can’t imagine a Pro Tools reinstall will fix it. You can indeed choose, if you decide to try it anyway, to JUST reinstall PT and the HD driver. And yes, on Windows, it’s always best to uninstall your current PT first. Used to be you HAD to do it that way…uninstall, install.
I'm wondering what drivers that thread is referring to?

I don't have Protools HD, just the standard software version without any Protools hardware.

Do you think uninstalling and reinstalling Protools will disrupt any setup as far as all my plugins? Wouldn't want to go through all that again (Installing plugins).
Old 02-15-2024, 06:36 PM

As indicated in the post right before yours:
“Uninstalling Pro Tools is likely a waste of time. It almost always is. It's one of the very last things to try.

Uninstalling Pro Tools does not remove plugins. But removing (and reinstalling plugins) is exactly what you likely should be doing.”
Old 02-15-2024, 06:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darryl Ramm View Post
Huh? There exactly *is* a separate installer for the Pro Tools HD driver for HD native and HDX hardware. In the Driver Installer folder in the installer distribution.

But you don't have a HD or HDX system right? So you should not have the driver installed. And without the hardware being present the drivers won't load so are not going to be able to cause problems. So all this is irrelevant. And even if you had HD native or HDX the drivers are not likely to be causing this problem.

Uninstalling Pro Tools is likely a waste of time. It almost always is. It's one of the very last things to try.

Uninstalling Pro Tools does not remove plugins. But removing (and reinstalling plugins) is exactly what you likely should be doing.

In future please follow the DUC rules and post your related questions to one thread.
Do you think the person in the thread who said - uninstalling and reinstalling the "drivers", solved his problem - is referring to the HD drivers? Could there be other drivers he's referring to?

I already tried uninstalling and reinstalling the plugins. That did not work.
Old 02-15-2024, 07:19 PM

If I uninstalled Protools 2018 (via the windows control panel - Apps & Features) and reinstalled it, will anything change after its reinstalled?

Will it work the same way before I did that?

If it does stay the same, it sounds like its worth a try.
Old 02-15-2024, 09:51 PM

Replying for the updates.
Old 02-15-2024, 10:23 PM

As I read this *you* are talking about "Pro Tools drivers" there are only the HD Drivers included with Pro Tools. If you mean third party drivers then you should say so.

But looking at the original post the user was using old Pro Tools Express and maybe an MBox of some version.

All this is likely a complete distraction and no relation to what you are seeing. Getting an Access violation error can be caused by many different things, it's so generic. It's like saying your car crashed because it ran into something. Lots and lots of access violation errors happen for lots of completely unrelated reasons, and the numbers shown in the error don't help. (what would help technically are software stack traces/core files).

Again a good approach here is to just chew though all/most standard troubleshooting steps. And now you have two threads running for this lets focus on the other one https://duc.avid.com/showthread.php?t=427624
Old 02-16-2024, 07:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darryl Ramm View Post
As I read this *you* are talking about "Pro Tools drivers" there are only the HD Drivers included with Pro Tools. If you mean third party drivers then you should say so.

But looking at the original post the user was using old Pro Tools Express and maybe an MBox of some version.

All this is likely a complete distraction and no relation to what you are seeing. Getting an Access violation error can be caused by many different things, it's so generic. It's like saying your car crashed because it ran into something. Lots and lots of access violation errors happen for lots of completely unrelated reasons, and the numbers shown in the error don't help. (what would help technically are software stack traces/core files).

Again a good approach here is to just chew though all/most standard troubleshooting steps. And now you have two threads running for this lets focus on the other one https://duc.avid.com/showthread.php?t=427624
Can I ask just this one question on this thread, since it doesn't really have to do with the problem on the other thread? (and also looks like you got one guy interested in this answer.) -

If I uninstalled Protools 2018 (via the windows control panel - Apps & Features) and then reinstalled it, will anything change after its reinstalled? (as far as my plugins and setup.)

Will it work the same way before I did that?