Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > Pro Tools
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 02-13-2024, 08:22 PM

Default Pro Tools Studio / Windows 11 / Mac Drive 11 won't record

Just installed Pro Tools studio 2023.12.1 on a windows 11 laptop and Mac Drive 11 for travel to use an external mac formatted drive (I use all mac at my studio but getting a laptop for travel).

It works well to open the program, save sessions, etc but when I try to record while on the laptop I get this message:

"Unable to create record files for one or more tracks, check your disk allocation and drive permissions"

When I check Disk Allocation I see all files properly attributed to the external hard drive, but it just won't record??? I can save the session, etc to the drive but not record.

Any advice greatly appreciated...
Old 02-13-2024, 09:25 PM

Default Re: Pro Tools Studio / Windows 11 / Mac Drive 11 won't record

How did you format the MAC drive?
Old 02-13-2024, 09:34 PM

Check the drive designation in Workspace. Make sure it's "R".
Old 02-13-2024, 09:37 PM

First of all what exact format is the external drive? HFS+? APFS? NTFS? exFAT? Yes I know you have Mac Drive 11 on the Windows PC but that tells us nothing about what format the drive is in, or even if it's in a Mac filesystem. What exactly does Windows think the filesystem is?

Are you able to create/copy files to the drive outside of Pro Tools just using Windows/ File Explorer.

In Workspace>Volumes is the drive set as a recording drive (R)? or Transfer drive (T)? ??

---

I know moving drives around between systems can have its place, but that does seem a bit last century to me.

If you are traveling with a laptop I'd be trying to have everything on the internal drive. On a fast internal PCIe/NVMe SSD, hopefully you can fit everything on that internal drive. No unreliable external drive/cable connection, no separate drive to misplace/have stolen etc. Just work on NTFS on that drive. When you need to move that to your Macs drag and drop the session folder over the network or download from copies on cloud storage, or use an exFAT transfer SSD or USB thumb drive.