Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools TDM Systems (Mac)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 04-04-2009, 10:07 AM

Default Re: New HD Hardware..... ever?

Quote:
Originally Posted by guitardom View Post
no other source for adc. it has been stated adc in le is being worked on and at the top of the to do list currently. feel it has more to do with seting up a native based solution more than it has to do with upgrading le. most traking situations at 64 or even 128 hw buffer setting i am just fine. when inserting hardware, it can be tricky to demo, but when you record the hardware in, it is compensated for and goes right where it is supposed to. typically i will just dupe the track real quick, nudge it back to where it needs to be to demo it. takes about 20 seconds to do. when mixing w plugs w latency you just learn different methods for workarounds, most are stupidly simple and fast.

no preview mode, not sure exactly the function of capture, paste?? like automation parameters or what??? all the write to functions we just have to draw it in. trim function, just turn down the output of the last plugin on the chain on that i/o, about the most obvious fix and works perfect. vca's....this is one of my screaming points, would love vca's. we have to output our i/o's to a buss and do it that way. not the same but all we got

the complete production toolkit retails at 2000. but not sure of the street price. i was told that is was actually developed for hd users who use le rigs to edit and have better compatitiblity between systems. but gives le a mass amount of hd software features. but had nothing to do with le users wanting more options. trying to get more money out of the hd users!
I'm not asking you for work arounds or what you can or cannot live with or need. I'm trying to tell you things HD does RIGHT NOW that I have to have to work. Simple as that. You are somehow trying to justify how you work around things and how you don't need HD and I am simply showing you the things LE does not do. Like I said, when Digi makes a native solution that does all the things that HD does right now, I'll buy it. Until then, stop trying to sooth yourself by acting like HD users are somehow wasting money or investing in outdated technology. My system is 6 years old and pays for itself about every 3 weeks. There still is not a native solution out there that does what it does (HD3 and D Command). That's a fact. Closest would be Nuendo and an ID controller, or Euphonix System 5 both of which are more money. Maybe the Fairlight stuff??

BTW, if you've never seen Preview Mode, Capturing, or any of the other things HD has to offer, you have no idea what you're missing.

Mixing and Mastering click here to get started.
Old 04-04-2009, 10:29 AM

Quote:
...... trim function, just turn down the output of the last plugin on the chain on that i/o, about the most obvious fix and works perfect. .....
I'm 99% confident that the original poster was referring to 'trim automation' mode that yes, is super important for me to have as well.

(so no - not an overall audio level trim - that you spoke of)

yes... bummer LE doesn't have it.
Old 04-04-2009, 10:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmazurek View Post
What's your source for ADC (other than mellowmuse) coming to LE ?
Scott Church talked about it at AES:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TyvQx_Viwuc
Jump to 7.21
Old 04-04-2009, 10:50 AM

"On their radar" and he "knows they'll get to it"

Not exactly definitive!!

Here's hoping it really is coming.

Old 04-04-2009, 11:02 AM

Currently, ProTools HD as a system solution (hardware + software) is superior to anything on the market today. This really can't be argued. Not what "could" be but what actually "is" today.

But lets be real though . . .

How come Tony Maserati doesn't come in TDM? Huh? Could you simply buy another Accel card to make it work? Why?

How come less and less are developing new plugins for TDM?

Where are all these new VI plugins for TDM?

How come the new AIR plugins are RTAS only?

How come there is a limit to the Delay Compensation in HD? If it were so simple to increase - why wouldn't Digi have done it already?

At some point, there has to be an acknowledgement that the HD solution as it stands today is starting to show signs of reaching its limits. Yes it is good, but it won't last forever.

On the other hand, it will be a while before most professional users have confidence in a Native only solution. Perhaps it will come one day, but a more up-to-date, scalable HD is what is needed. Scalable doesn't always mean add another card because we are already seeing plugins that simply won't work technically speaking in the current TDM environment.
Old 04-04-2009, 12:36 PM

Quote:
I'm not asking you for work arounds or what you can or cannot live with or need. I'm trying to tell you things HD does RIGHT NOW that I have to have to work. Simple as that. You are somehow trying to justify how you work around things and how you don't need HD and I am simply showing you the things LE does not do. Like I said, when Digi makes a native solution that does all the things that HD does right now, I'll buy it. Until then, stop trying to sooth yourself by acting like HD users are somehow wasting money or investing in outdated technology. My system is 6 years old and pays for itself about every 3 weeks. There still is not a native solution out there that does what it does (HD3 and D Command). That's a fact. Closest would be Nuendo and an ID controller, or Euphonix System 5 both of which are more money. Maybe the Fairlight stuff??

BTW, if you've never seen Preview Mode, Capturing, or any of the other things HD has to offer, you have no idea what you're missing.
i spent my serious studio years on mix systems. we never upgraded to hd and to this day the studio has not and is the most successful studio in the state and has multiple major label albums come out of there and more television and movie work than i can begin to state. still even running pt 5.1. i am not trying to justify anything. i am saying i among others are not gonna spend the money CURRENTLY on an hd system that is outdated and underpowered and be locked down when a entire new system comes out and then be locked out of new software updates soon after. mix is not supported past what??? 6.4 or so?? not gonna spend 6 grand so and then be in that boat in 2 years.

i more than understand about the limitations of le, but once again they are intential crippling of the software!!!! if digi phases out the dsp power of the cards and comes with another solution, the native software will do it and has the power to do it!!! that is what this thread is about, the future, not eveyone living in the past afraid to move foward.

i have never once stated le does everything or no reason why everyone shouldnt use it!!! i know why, i have been there and am reaching that point again!!!!!! have i not just been stating what le can do currently???? i have been as nice and polite as i can be and not trying to upset anyone or sound better than anyone, just trying to state the facts where they are currently in le and the computer world and and users have been stating what they hope for in the future and others are stating, no need to upgrade, my system is and will be perfect...thats fine then, enjoy!!!

pro-tools-pc.com

TRASHER Pro Tools Utility(updated 4-11-2024)

HD Native, Avid 16x16, Eleven Rack, Focusrite Clarett 8preX, UA Quad Apollo TB.

Intel I7 9900k
Win 10
Old 04-04-2009, 12:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MixerGuy View Post
I'm 99% confident that the original poster was referring to 'trim automation' mode that yes, is super important for me to have as well.

(so no - not an overall audio level trim - that you spoke of)

yes... bummer LE doesn't have it.
just to help me clarify a bit. with trim automation mode, you can trim any automation parameter obviously. do you typically use it with anything other than gain settings, wether it be bus gain sends or track vol etc??
i am guessing it would be the same as just hilight the region in the automation view your wanting to trim and using the trim tool to adjust it up or down??? or am i still wrong here??

pro-tools-pc.com

Intel I7 9900k
Win 10
Old 04-04-2009, 01:05 PM

Quote:
i spent my serious studio years on mix systems. we never upgraded to hd and to this day the studio has not and is the most successful studio in the state and has multiple major label albums come out of there and more television and movie work than i can begin to state. still even running pt 5.1. i am not trying to justify anything. i am saying i among others are not gonna spend the money CURRENTLY on an hd system that is outdated and underpowered and be locked down when a entire new system comes out and then be locked out of new software updates soon after. mix is not supported past what??? 6.4 or so?? not gonna spend 6 grand so and then be in that boat in 2 years.

i more than understand about the limitations of le, but once again they are intential crippling of the software!!!! if digi phases out the dsp power of the cards and comes with another solution, the native software will do it and has the power to do it!!! that is what this thread is about, the future, not eveyone living in the past afraid to move foward.

i have never once stated le does everything or no reason why everyone shouldnt use it!!! i know why, i have been there and am reaching that point again!!!!!! have i not just been stating what le can do currently???? i have been as nice and polite as i can be and not trying to upset anyone or sound better than anyone, just trying to state the facts where they are currently in le and the computer world and and users have been stating what they hope for in the future and others are stating, no need to upgrade, my system is and will be perfect...thats fine then, enjoy!!!

So if I was in the market for a system right now, and HD was the only system that did what I need it to do to make a living, and it would pay for itself in the first gig or two, I shouldn't buy it?

I pay $6k (your number) and two years later it's a "boat anchor", but during that time I've made a living. Sounds like a good deal to me. Now if you're a musician fiddling around in your bedroom or rehearsal space, not earning with your rig, then yeah it may be a bad business decision. Just because it doesn't make sense for you doesn't mean it doesn't for others, that all I'm saying. And coming on here and posting that people that buy an HD rig now are making a bad decision is just naive.

I get the gist of your argument and it's not without merit, but I am just trying to get you to see that there's another side.

Old 04-04-2009, 01:10 PM

Quote:
just to help me clarify a bit. with trim automation mode, you can trim any automation parameter obviously. do you typically use it with anything other than gain settings, wether it be bus gain sends or track vol etc??
i am guessing it would be the same as just hilight the region in the automation view your wanting to trim and using the trim tool to adjust it up or down??? or am i still wrong here??
The fact that Trim mode needs to be explained along with Preview, Capturing, Snapshots, and all the Write To functions tells me you have no experience working with an HD rig and makes it even more silly that you're here posting the way you are. Not trying to be rude, but that's how I see it, sorry.

We get it. HD is not for you, you're not gonna spring for it. We all hope Digi continues to develop new and better systems, but until then we all buy what we need to work and get the job done. If it's HD great, LE great too. If their stuff doesn't suit your needs find a company that does, I know I would.

Old 04-04-2009, 01:25 PM

Quote:
So if I was in the market for a system right now, and HD was the only system that did what I need it to do to make a living, and it would pay for itself in the first gig or two, I shouldn't buy it?

I pay $6k (your number) and two years later it's a "boat anchor", but during that time I've made a living. Sounds like a good deal to me. Now if you're a musician fiddling around in your bedroom or rehearsal space, not earning with your rig, then yeah it may be a bad business decision. Just because it doesn't make sense for you doesn't mean it doesn't for others, that all I'm saying. And coming on here and posting that people that buy an HD rig now are making a bad decision is just naive.

I get the gist of your argument and it's not without merit, but I am just trying to get you to see that there's another side.
valid point for sure, for me buying my other hardware has been a more sensible decision and i know it will still be going long past the next couple years, api, eventide, vintech, emphirical labs, etc... using le (w external converters) in the meantime until the next system is released seemed more logical to ME. i have software limitations, that can all be worked around though, just the i/o limitation and adc (which now have mellowmuse for) are the biggest downfalls.

it would be unfair to say it wouldnt be logical for anybody to purchase it, will apologize for that.

got my 6 grand number from an hd2-3 system and a couple interfaces. actually could be low if i went with all new hardware and not used. and if i go used, then digi still does not make any money from hardware, just software.

i still stick by though hd is outdated, underpowered, and more than anything overpriced at this time, and time for a new solution from obvously our prefered software..

i know you did not owe me an explanation of any sort from your previous post but thank you.

pro-tools-pc.com

Intel I7 9900k
Win 10