Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Win)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 11-23-2007, 05:13 PM

Default V-Drums/Reason Adapted ReDrum/Midi Question:

Hi guys. I need some help on this one. I want to trigger drum samples on my V-Drums, picking up drum samples in Reason Adapted ReDrum and record them on to individual audio tracks in ProTools. My logic is to 1) record a master midi track using the V-Drums, 2)then break the master midi track into a midi track per drum and then 3)convert the individual midi tracks into separate audio tracks. This is working perfectly on some drums but not all of them. I am stumped as to what to do to resolve this.

Here’s my session setup. I record a drum pattern on a master midi track in PT with Input=All and Output=ReDrum channel 10. I then create 10 midi tracks in PTs to separate the midi sounds. All 10 of these midi tracks instruments settings are Input=All, Output=ReDrum 10. All 10 have Reason Adapted inserts with Rewire set to Mix L, Mix R, Channel 3, Channel 4 etc through Channel 10. The i/o setting for all 10 channels Input=None and Outputs= Bus1, Bus 2 etc. through Bus 10.

Next I created 10 Audio track with all Inputs=Bus 1, Bus 2, etc. through Bus 10 and Output on all audio tracks set to Analog 1-2.

When I play a pattern on the V-Drums, I can see one drum per line on my master midi track – looks great. I can click on each of the keyboards notes in the left of the midi track and hear all the drum sounds individually so I know they are there. But when I set the midi track on play and all of the audio tracks on record, I only get about 4 or 5 of the drums pulled in. What I get is working great and sounds fabulous and feel I am so close. What am I missing here? I have not found a way in PT or Reason Adapted to do any additional channel track assigning.

All comments appreciated !!!
Old 11-23-2007, 05:57 PM

Default Re: V-Drums/Reason Adapted ReDrum/Midi Question:

Try this instead. Set up 10 midi tracks. Install Reason re-wire on each one. On the the rewire input assign each midi track a separate re-wire input, 3-12, let's say.
Then, go into reason, toggle to the rear view and instead of having the stereo L/R outputs of Redrum going to the mixer, remove those entirely, and assign each of the 10 outputs directly to a corresponding re-wire input. You can do this by right clicking on each of the separate outputs and then selecting off the menu that pops up. When you're done, you'll see the wires going from each of those directly to the re-wire direct at the top.

Now, you'll have each of the ten drum outputs on its own separate midi channel. And you should be able to hear each one individually or all at once, depending on which ones you solo in PT. Then you can throw each of those midi tracks directly to an audio track when you're ready.

I think that will solve your issue.

Old 11-23-2007, 06:19 PM

DonaldM - Thanks for the comments. I have the rear panel of rewire set as you suggested. I should have mentioned that in my original post. Any other ideas ?
Old 11-23-2007, 07:08 PM

Additional comment - Just realized that if I look at the master midi track in the regions mode, the piano keys are numbered every octave. It seems that the drums in octave #1 one are the ones working and the ones in octave #2 are not. Is that useful information ?
Old 11-23-2007, 08:07 PM

alright...don't tell anyone what your doing, and don't share anything i'm about to tell you...like on the interweb or something...you're on the verge of THE best kept secret in drum recording...congrats...

i'll dish this out to you hannibal lechter style...not too much...quid pro qou...

1> you're on the right track with the octave thing...get on line and get the owner's manual for whatever v-drum brain module you have...you'll find a page that show's you the midi number for each trigger....every "keyed" note has an associted midi number...

2>you'll find that your v-drum brain comes in on one midi channel...i think channel 10?? by default...

3> now...redrum by default brings up a "drum lane"...along the top you can select to view a "piano roll lane"...this will help you better make the association between the midi "note" numbers and the sounds they're triggering...

4> don't rewire into pro tools through "midi" tracks...just aux or audio tracks with the rewire on each track and the separate sound "wired" in like you're doing...you don't want to record "midi instructions" into pro tools tracks for this really...all that info will be in reason...

5> ok...foreshadowing...i know at the root of this you said you want to "record" the sounds into pro tools...believe me, i get it....and you CAN do it...it involves coming out of pro tools and back in then re-aligning the tracks to tempo...can be cool if you got some fancy pants outboard gear to go through...BUT...forget it...follow this secret to it's logical conclusion and you'll realize you don't need to actually "record" it...

detroitkruk
Old 11-23-2007, 08:18 PM

That's where I was going next. You've got to be sure you're in the right octave range for whatever you're using.

Old 11-23-2007, 08:28 PM

Thanks guys. I have the Roland TD-8 brain. I've been all through the menu options in the hardware and found nothing but I'll get into the manual. I just recently got the set used and didn't get a manual but it is available on-line. It was very frustrating that some of these worked and some didn't when they all appearred to be set the same.

Thanks again for all the help!