Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Mac)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 11-11-2002, 05:34 AM

Default How to fix a corrupt track. I think it\'s preventing a Bounce.

I had a post up earlier, because I am getting the Bounce Handler message.

But, I took somebody's advice and routed all of my tracks to a Bus, and then recorded a new Audio Track from that Bus, thus getting a bounce of sorts.

I then started a new session and imported the new audio track I just imported. When I tried to do a bounce in this new session, it worked.

So, it's good that I found a work-around, but it leaves me with two questions.

1) Is there any degradation by doing this twice? I would think the answer is no, but just wondering if there is something I'm not aware of.

2) Does this seem to indicate that there is something corrupt with my original session? I saw some people writing that they corrected Bounce problems by redoing tracks. How do you go about that? It is okay to use the Duplicate function and just delete the original?

This is scary stuff. I've been working on a lot of material and am ready to mix down, I want to get it right.

Thanks,
Tim.
Old 11-11-2002, 11:02 AM

Default Re: How to fix a corrupt track. I think it\'s preventing a Bounce.

Also, is it generally that just audio tracks can get corrupt (not MIDI)?
Old 11-11-2002, 11:17 AM
Avid

Quote:
Originally posted by Timothy72:
1) Is there any degradation by doing this twice? I would think the answer is no, but just wondering if there is something I'm not aware of.
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">There is no need to bounce the audio twice. Creating a Stereo Interleaved file is the only reason I can think of why you are bouncing a second time...assuming this is the case:
-When you import the bounced audio filed into a new session, all you need to do is choose "Export Selected As Files" from the Audio Regions list menu.

Quote:
2) Does this seem to indicate that there is something corrupt with my original session?
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">If this is the only session that is producing these errors, then yes, it is possible the session (or a track within the session) is problematic.

To eliminate the possibility of a corrupt session:
-Create a New Session, use the File>Import Tracks command to transfer the tracks into the new session file and see if the behavior persists.

Quote:
Also, is it generally that just audio tracks can get corrupt (not MIDI)?
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">Although it is more common to see Audio/Aux/Master tracks get corrupted, MIDI data can also be subject to corruption. Be sure to save often and save multiple copies of your session along the way using the File>Save Session As command.

Brent
Old 11-11-2002, 04:22 PM

Thanks, that totally helps. I was able to take my Bussed-Bounced track and make the AIFF I needed.

But...I also tried the reimporting of tracks into a new session to see if I could get the bounce working. It does not.

Where do I turn to next on this? I have done everything this board suggests to get bounce working again (it used to work just fine, just crapped out on me). Like I wrote above, the Bounce Handler can work when it is just one track. I don't know if it is a memory issue or a corruption issue. But, if it is memory, I don't know why it just suddently started.

Thanks,
Tim.
Old 11-12-2002, 11:33 AM
Avid

Here are a few suggesions:
-Trash the DigiSetup File, Pro Tools preference, and DAE prefs (the entire folder) from the System Folder>Preferences folder. Empty the Trash and restart the Mac.

-Reduce the Disk Cache in the Memory Control Panel to 512k and restart the computer.

-Reduce your monitor to display "Thousands" of colors.

-Rebuild the Desktop file for all drives in your system. Hold down the Apple+Option keys while the extensions march across the bottom of the screen during boot-up. Hold the keys down until you get a window prompting you and then Click “OK”.

-Increase the Preferred memory size of the Pro Tools and DAE applications. Increase the DAE Preferred size to 100000k (100MB) and Pro Tools to 90000k (90MB). Never change the Minimum memory size. If you have, you can set it back to the default setting by typing a 0 into the field and press Enter on the numerical keypad.

Brent
Old 11-13-2002, 05:28 AM

Alright, enough is enough. Still not working. Here is what I've done.

Set my Cache to 512 (It was there anyway)
Set colors to Thousands (It was there anyway)
Set Sleep to Never (It was there anyway)
Set the preferred size of PT to 90000
Set the preferred size of DAE to 10000
Made sure the PT and DAE minimums were correct
Trashed the Digi and DAE Prefs Files, restarted
Rebuilt the Desktop
Ran Norton Utilities on both my drives
I'm Bouncing from my ext drive onto my int drive
I have a 667mhx G4 with 512 of RAM
I have every window minimized

So, what on earth can be the problem? I should be creating, not spending hours every night trying to solve this problem.

Do I need to reinstall ProTools?

I am also having problems just listening to tracks that I have been working on for weeks. They crap out on me in the middle saying I have run out of CPU. It is set to 85% and buffer size is 1024. But if I run it through the section again, it sometimes gets by without dying. It is so inconsistent.

I am running both Battery and Absynth, but don't tell me to record those tracks! I don't want to, I'm still editing them! With this much computer, I would think PT could keep up. I am not running any other PlugIns except maybe one reverb in some sessions.

Tim.
Old 11-13-2002, 10:40 AM
Avid

Quote:
Originally posted by Timothy72:
I'm Bouncing from my ext drive onto my int drive
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">What happens if you Bounce to the same external drive?

In the BTD window, do you get any different results by choosing either "Convert During Bounce" or "Convert After Bounce?"

What type of external drive is it? What utility did you use to format it?

Brent
Old 11-13-2002, 11:12 AM

Did you make sure all your edits/breaks in your audio tracks have crossfades? Sometimes these won't be audible on normal playback but cause pops when Bouncing.

Also, you may try decreasing DAE buffer setting one level.
Old 11-13-2002, 11:14 AM

Did you make sure all your edits/breaks in your audio tracks have crossfades? Sometimes these won't be audible on normal playback but cause pops when Bouncing.

Also, you may try decreasing DAE buffer setting one level.
Old 11-13-2002, 11:17 AM

Whoops- sorry, I answered the wrong topic. Please ignore above post...