Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Mac)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 11-07-2002, 09:08 PM

Default Re: New Mirrored G4 hangs on Digi System Init!!!

AdamF, I had the same dilemma as you.

I researched the subject to death, regarding the 933 vs DP 867.

Obviously, theres pros and cons with both.

Here's what i found out at least.

933 PROS
*Superdrive (dvd backup seems cool)
*Cheaper memory
*Better looking (yeah, a matter of opinion)
*Quieter (very important, to me at least)
*Faster in many cases than the dual, especially under OS 9 (even beat the dp 867 in the latest overall speed score @ macworld)
*Has a reputation as a good audio machine
*2 mb L3 cache (very nice)
* Better graphix card , 64mb compared to 32 mb on the dual

When it came down to it, the main advantage I see in the dp is for doing OS X stuff, but that whole noise/fan issue scares the hell out of me.

I was ready to buy a DP867 myself, but when i found a 933 online yesterday, I jumped on it, and ordered it right away, cause those suckers go quick.

I figure I'll be still using OS 9 for a while, so I'll just pick up a G5 or whatever in a half a years time, or whenever they might come out.

I'll know next week, if I made the right choice.

Good luck - Post back which one you decide on

[img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]
Old 11-08-2002, 12:15 AM

Hi,

Can you hear that noise with the headphones too?

I have a brand new G4 867, when I connect my KRK V4 self powered studio monitors I can hear a terrrible noise that changes with whatever the computer is doing. The noise goes away if I plug the speakers to a power strip that I took the 3er ground connector off?

Another thing is that I hear a high pitch noise but this is when I open Pro Tools LE or Logic 5.3 using either the Digidesigns Mbox or the Emagic EMI 2|6? (The noise goes away if I plug the speakers to a power strip that I took the 3er ground connector off too)

I can not hear the noise when I use just the headphones connected to the G4.

Is this normal? I called Apple Support an they told me that my speakers where bad, but I did not get those noises with my old G4?

What should I do?

Thanks! [img]images/icons/confused.gif[/img]
Old 11-08-2002, 01:00 AM

You should keep in mind PT6 is pretty close...

So...
The best machine for now is the QS DP 1Ghz as it's not DDR (so you can get more memory cheaper and the performance pretty much the same) and it's abit cheaper than the the DDM
Old 11-08-2002, 03:01 PM

Ok,
Heres the goods. I just got my G4 DP "MDD" 867 back from the shop. The new mother/logic board DOES work (on my machine). The buzzing is STILL there, but waaaaaaay quieter. Waaaaaay quieter- I have to turn my console full blast to hear the buzz.
I will try turning off the multi-processor extension, and see if that helps.
My understanding is that Apple now acknowledges the noise and the fans, and is still documenting the problem. Someone else on this board set me up with the link, so imma pass it on to ya'll:
http://discussions.info.apple.com/[email protected]
There is a lot of hub bub about airflow and the blah blah blahs, but there is informative stuff there if your concerned about the buzz noise.

Re: 933 or DP 867- Save up and get a 1Ghz "MDD" or 1.25 Ghz "MDD".
Reason 1.: way less problems reported on the 1 Ghz and practically none on the 1.25. My friend has the 1.25 and he says the fans don't even run like my 867 (a hairdyer), and there is NO BUZZ...
Reason 2.: PT v.6 will utilize both processors along with the DDR SDRAM.
Reason 3.: DDR SDRAM. Its faster ram and it works with the Velocity Engine.

Apple might have@#$%ed up, but they are trying to fix the problems.

Cool,
I will report back later about the buzz.
Old 11-08-2002, 04:39 PM

Hi planetpea,
Any chance you could ask your friend to try the "Dave C" performance test or even the new "Reverb only" test? It would be great to see what a dual 1.25 mac can do and I'm sure others would be interested. Here's a link to the Dave C thread

http://duc.digidesign.com/cgi-bin/ub...;f=24;t=011421

Thanks and regards,
Stephen

https://www.waves.com/r/djgsi6
Old 11-09-2002, 12:11 AM

hey everyone this really sucks! i just bought a used dual 867MHz n it won't boot w/protools le(digi001) installed. i think i need the mobo or logic board replaced. is it possible to order it n replace it by myself. i'm in s. korea n i don't think i have the option to send my mac in to apple care? thanks for the help
John 3:16
Old 11-09-2002, 12:21 AM

Quote:
DDR SDRAM. Its faster ram and it works with the Velocity Engine.
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">If it makes so much different why 1GhzDP QS outperformed the 1GhzDP MDD in most tests -
Under OS X and with Photoshop 7...

[img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

The PowerPC G4s cannot utilize the DDR fast enough as their memory controller was simply been "patched".

SDRAM is cheaper so you can obtain greater amount of memory for less price and when using a hungery applications like pt, this is way better value than a faster memory that cannot actually use it's full potential.

Maybe the DDR will give better results but not so much better for the price.
Old 11-09-2002, 01:17 AM

Hey Chachi, good lookin' out kid. I'm glad the ruler trick helped a bit. How's Coco B-ware and the posse holding up? I saw Dana the other day and told her to eat a platter of dizick. She didn't want to, but with my mag light in hand she greedily ate a feasts worth, like a Fear Factor contestant. The big game with Devry went well. I scored 40 points on a sub par shooting night (16 for 79) but my leadership and defensive prowess are what sealed the victory. (192-188 in 8 overtimes) I bought a new dell laptop and all of your above issues were solved. Think about it, and consider a move to the dark, dark side. I hope the foosball table is being used generously and the hollywood squares poseur is doing his part. I shall monitor this thread diligently and look for your response. Say hi to the guys i miss (Mizark aka the cracklebox kid and Mizike the USC junglebot amen tobin friend of bitrot the compressor setting digital outlaw.)
And above all
Holla @ a Nizziga
the sycophant
Old 11-09-2002, 11:06 PM

i just called apple support in the u.s. n they just told me to call apple korea. i called apple korea n they have no idea. i'm really ****ed!!!
what should i do ? i think this is really messed up.
John 3:16
Old 11-23-2002, 04:16 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by DigiCS:
Dear Digidesign Customers,

I am confident that AppleCare will be able to resolve this issue for you.

Best Regards,
Kenn LeGault
Director, System Software
Digidesign
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">Kenn,
it seems your confidence was misplaced: I've had three different logic boards and still the digi 001 stops the machine from powering up.

Gonzo
PT2023.12 - Mac Studio M1 Max 64GB RAM - macOS 13.6.3 - UAD-2 Satellite Octo/Apollo 8tb Duo/Apollo 16ii/Prism Lyra 2 - Euphonix Artist Control - All the plugins(!) Waves/PA/Slate/SSL/McDSP/UAD/Kush/SoundToys/Eventide/Softube/NI/PSP/Sonible/BABY/Fabfilter/Sonnox etc.