Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > General Discussion & Off Topic > General Discussion
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 10-13-2008, 07:08 AM

Default Remote Production, Mixing, Mastering etc etc

I'd be really interested in hearing how many of you more experienced guys have done, or would be interested in doing remote mixing/mastering/production.

I've been trying to put a few rough demos together to let people listen to, so I can be a little more fussy and find the right members for a band at the moment.

the demo's are rough, in that they have amature recording quality and mistakes, ToonTrack Superior drums, and Ampeg bass plugins, I'm pleased with them, due to my own abilities, but I'm curious how many of you have done remote work tidying things up, putting a more professional edge in, I'm looking at booking some studio time shortly to do album class recordings, and the options for producers near me in the UK is pretty much none, or they are too experienced and want a LOT of £££ which is understandable due to their abilities and travel requirements.

The few I've spoke to locally don't seem to "get it" or I don't click with them, and I'm wondering if remote mixing and mastering would be one thing to potentially take out of the local loop as the interenet, say even this site opens up doors to more people closer to what your looking for (I read two posts recently from two guys working in Nashville struggling to get work which made me start thinking).

I'd like to hear your thoughts on what you've done remotly and how it turned out, the pro's and the cons.
Old 12-01-2008, 06:24 AM

Default Re: Remote Production, Mixing, Mastering etc etc

well, I didn't get much response to this, so I thought I'd bump it with the added note that I will be looking for people to do paid "on site" work with to help record an album, it's the first time I've ever looked for producers on my own and I thought doing a little bit of remote work to play with some of the demo's / ideas would get an understanding of what each others about and maybe open some doors for working with over seas people for mixing/mastering as well as some uk based people to work with for the actual recording/production.
Old 12-01-2008, 11:23 PM

Default Re: Remote Production, Mixing, Mastering etc etc

i would be interested, on a couple different levels, but the core question would be the music??

type of music you are doing? what you are going for in the long run? the market of audience you are interested in reaching.

are you interested in songwriting advice, help, thoughts. in what areas, music, instrumentation, lyrics, melodys. what instruments are you wanting to play? what instruments are you wanting other musicians for?

maybe different people for different areas of your production. obviously local is easiest for you, but some great things can be done and very simple to email files back and forth with instrument tracks, ideas. easy to mix n master this way as well, lots of us have done it.

tracking will be another story. obviously you will be doing it locally, so have to decide if you want a studio and engineer, or a producer n engineer. most studios/engineers will be more than happy to oblige either way as long as you make it known upfront. if they dont want to cooperate move on...

just some thoughts, feel free to shoot me an email sometime.

pro-tools-pc.com

TRASHER Pro Tools Utility(updated 4-11-2024)

HD Native, Avid 16x16, Eleven Rack, Focusrite Clarett 8preX, UA Quad Apollo TB.

Intel I7 9900k
Win 10