Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Win)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 03-27-2008, 05:12 PM

Default Installing Xpand! to a custom location, immediately?

Why would there not be such an option right away? i have a great pain isntalling it to C: right now because my C drive is dedicated to Windows OS only, which in my situation means, i have 10gb c drive, with windows taking about 6, and almost all of the remaining space taken by the page file (automatically). so when xpand is installing it takes about 50 minutes because when windows notices that space is needed it frees up its page file a little, than it notices more space is needed so it frees up page file a little more, now imagine this every second, my dvd drive is speeding up and down in this process every second like mad.

why is there no option to install directly to a custom location?
Old 03-27-2008, 06:03 PM

Default Re: Installing Xpand! to a custom location, immediately?

Quote:
my C drive is dedicated to Windows OS only, which in my situation means, i have 10gb c drive, with windows taking about 6, and almost all of the remaining space taken by the page file (automatically).
Why? Where are all of your other programs being installed? What you are doing there is just not wise.

Studio rig: Gigabyte GA-EX58-UD3R, Intel i7 920, 6GB Patriot DDR3, NVidia 8600GS, LG GGW-H20L BD-RE, Sony CRX195E1 CD-RW, 2x WD Caviar black 640GB (os swap), 1x WD caviar 320GB (sessions), 1x Maxtor 120GB (sessions), 1x Seagate 1TB (samples/loops), Profire2626, Command8, PT12 on OSX

Mobile Rig: 2015 MacBook Pro Retina, Apollo Twin, PT12
Old 03-31-2008, 02:03 AM

Oh it is very wise, if a need for a clean reinstall would arise i would only format C: and do a fresh installaton of the OS without loosing anything. Applications go in to drive D, media files and other stuff goes to e, everything related to music production goes to a dedicated drive under letter S, making it all very easy to maintain and backup

I usually dodge virus and spyware easy even withouth an antivirus program, but it could still be a case, and most viruses manifest them selfs in to the os drive, which i dont care for as i can wipe it clean without regret. Most programs configurations and custimzations are intact on D drive, only thing you have to do is reinstall some of them, in order to be able to rum them, if a need of fresh isntallation of any program is needed u can just delete its folder after the OS is reinstalled.

anyways, trying to convince me that everything should run from drive C is a waste of both your and my time. I dont know why such an option should not be present at this particular plugins installation, but if there was any good reason, i just hoped to hear it.
Old 03-31-2008, 05:23 AM

Like the man said...very,very,VERY, unwise.
He has 13924 posts and you have 2.Do you get it?

Shea
Old 03-31-2008, 07:21 AM

If you needed to reinstall your OS, I hear ya, BUT... you'd have to reinstall ALL your applications regardless of what drive you installed them on.
Old 03-31-2008, 09:18 AM

Quote:
If you needed to reinstall your OS, I hear ya, BUT... you'd have to reinstall ALL your applications regardless of what drive you installed them on.
Exactly. That is correct, and why it is unwise.

If you have to reformat the system drive (C: drive) and reinstall the Operating system, then you will wipe out the Windows registry, and you will have to install all of those programs on the separate drive all over again. That's wise? Not in my book.

Quote:
I usually dodge virus and spyware easy even withouth an antivirus program, but it could still be a case, and most viruses manifest them selfs in to the os drive
That is also incorrect. Most virus programs are designed to self-replicate and infect any executable files on the computer. Period. Doesn't matter whether they are on the system drive or not.

A much better way to protect yourself is by using disk imaging software (I recommend True Image by Acronis). If you have an image of a clean, working drive, you can be back up and running in about 20 minutes. Entirely less time than would be required by your method of re-installing the OS, and then finding every program that needs to be re-installed.
Quote:
anyways, trying to convince me that everything should run from drive C is a waste of both your and my time.
That is too bad. You are going to have a really rough time running Pro Tools and related software then. It is recommended to install Pro Tools and it's related software (plugins, drivers, etc) to the system drive. Installing to a separate drive has been known to cause problems, and is why I brought it up in the first place.

Good luck running Pro Tools on that system.

Studio rig: Gigabyte GA-EX58-UD3R, Intel i7 920, 6GB Patriot DDR3, NVidia 8600GS, LG GGW-H20L BD-RE, Sony CRX195E1 CD-RW, 2x WD Caviar black 640GB (os swap), 1x WD caviar 320GB (sessions), 1x Maxtor 120GB (sessions), 1x Seagate 1TB (samples/loops), Profire2626, Command8, PT12 on OSX

Old 04-01-2008, 03:18 PM

Holy crap you people are ignorant!

Especially shea, thats the most imbicile post ive read this year. It's not like i was born on this board, i mean besides this board, i perhaps have gotten experience in my life from other places?

Quote:
Like the man said...very,very,VERY, unwise.
He has 13924 posts and you have 2.Do you get it?

Shea
As it goes for SixChurchStreet and spkguitar, i have covered what you are saying in my previous post, i will even quote my self:

Quote:
Most programs configurations and custimzations are intact on D drive, only thing you have to do is reinstall some of them, in order to be able to rum them, if a need of fresh installation of any program is needed u can just delete its folder after the OS is reinstalled.

About the virus, YOU are incorrect, MOST viruses do manifest them selves in to the OS dirve or OS it self, ofcourse you are viewing this from an angle that does not exclude low probabilities, but you sure do take the liberty of correcting me with something irrelevant to what i wrote.

Besides the virus issue, there are alot of practical reasons to sort data on different drives, whether it is recommended or not, i have never had any problem with anything before or any problem now, with pro tools or anything related with it, besides the fact that someone was lazy enough not to put the option in to Xpand! installation.

Now if you can get to the point, why is there no damn location option of where to install that data file?
Old 04-01-2008, 03:53 PM

So let me get this straight; you're running a non-standard installation of Windows, you're complaining about a product that is provided for free, and you're calling the people that you reached out to for help ignorant for giving you valid information about the product that you are using?

Good luck to you.

Old 04-02-2008, 03:43 PM

Quote:
So let me get this straight; you're running a non-standard installation of Windows, you're complaining about a product that is provided for free, and you're calling the people that you reached out to for help ignorant for giving you valid information about the product that you are using?

Good luck to you.
I am running a standard installation of windows (what makes you think that i don't?), i am asking why an option is not avalible, i am calling you ignorant because of the fact that you ignore parts of what i wrote in my post, not to mention the imbicile commenting this thread who absolutely disregarded what i said because of our post count ratios.. Besides all that, i doubt that you are an official representative of digidesign, and if you are, than this should be an interesting review of a technical support query in the official digidesign forum. And Xpand by the way is not free, it is a bundle, and bundle only, avalible only upon a purchase of Pro Tools. Bundles of such are included in to the marketing budget of the company in order to increase sales of a product, which menas that i actually paid my share for what it cost them to make it.

Have a nice day.
Old 04-02-2008, 07:06 PM

what are you talking about?

Anyone can get Xpand for free from the Digistore or just download the plug from Digidesign.com