Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools TDM Systems (Mac)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 04-14-2008, 11:25 PM

Default Re: Most Worthless Plug-ins Poll?

This is interesting... What do you recommend instead of maxim to maximize the sound output ? I have to admit that I am using all the time, I never even thought about taking it off - part of my template stuff. Now that you've brought it up, I'll do some comparative tests... Is there any better sounding plug I should look at for the same job ?
Old 04-15-2008, 12:08 AM

Quote:
This is interesting... What do you recommend instead of maxim to maximize the sound output ? I have to admit that I am using all the time, I never even thought about taking it off - part of my template stuff. Now that you've brought it up, I'll do some comparative tests... Is there any better sounding plug I should look at for the same job ?
Hi!

Maxim is not very good. Only the Digi Limiter is worse... Waves L2 is good for a softish limiting and it makes your files pretty loud too, but the Sonnox Oxford Limiter is VERY nice. It has an "enhancer" that just adds life to dull mixes as well as being a good single band limiter. To get really loud, you'll need to use a multiband limiter, but then you mess up the spectral balance as well. For some mixes it might be good, but it does not always work well. The most bang without messing the sound of your mix up you get from TC MD3, but you do get a big hole in your wallet as well.

The best one to go for is the Massey 2007 limiter. Just as good as the L2, but more flexible, at only 89 usd. Go get it! If I did not have all the others, this would be my first purchase. His other plugs are nice too. If you are on a zero budget, don't fear, because you can demo the Massey stuff for free for eternity. Only bummer is you can not bypass and save the settings etc. But you can make notes, like in the old days ;-)

Cheers,

Johan

Phone +46707773443
Old 04-15-2008, 12:14 AM

Maxim..sucks

bomfactory 1176 clips at the attack of each note...how worthless is that?

All the waves Q 10 )and the other Qx's) eq's eventuall go nutso and create horrible white noise at peaks. Many different rigs, many different sessions. you'll see..

Now hold on about FilterFreak! I use that in almost every session! I love it! Learn it ..use it.

Waves de-esser inferior to the digi one. (however ALL of them are inferior to learning how to automate well)

Digidesign Slap Back!! HAHA HAHAHA Its just a short delay without the option a tiny bit longer delay. DUH!
Old 04-15-2008, 07:48 AM

Quote:

bomfactory 1176 clips at the attack of each note...how worthless is that?

I've actually experienced this using my hardware 1176, FWIW. For me, the trick was to turn up the input, and get it constantly compressing, never recovering all the way to zero, for smooth compression with no clipping or artifacts. Of course, one must then turn up the output. When using the plug the same way, I get smooth results w/o clipping. Not saying the two are the same, just that they behave similarly in this regard. In a phrase: don't treat her so gently. Unless you just want some colour (with no compression at all).

BF76 works well on bass for me, and sometimes as a drum or vocal buss compressor in parallel.
Old 04-15-2008, 08:35 AM

I really like the bomfactory stuff. I own all they got.

You just gotta know when to use them. The JooMeek Compressor is the ONLY one capable of doing certain stuff.
The BF-3A is cool too... But then again you gotta know what you wanna get out of a compressor. Many people compressing - well they think they are - are only making the signal louder... Actually a compressor will make the signal softer since it is reducing everything biting it's threshold.

I would never say that the maxim sucks. But there are plenty better. My Fav is Massey and McDSP's ML1 latter is somewhat more musical IME but both are world class... Oh yeah - I dig the L2 as well....
Old 04-15-2008, 09:28 AM

In my opinion, PSP´s Xenon is better than Digi Maxim, WAves L2, Mc DSP ML.

http://www.facebook.com/alecio.costa

PT Ultimate Native 2023.3 - Mac Mini M1 16GB RAM - Mac Os Ventura 13.2 - 2 192 IO Digidesign Digital

PT HD2 Accel - 10.3.10 OS 10.6.8 - Mac Pro 2008 16GB RAM

Mastering Gear: Pendulum Audio, Crane Song, Avalon, Great River, Sebatron, Sonnox, Izotope, PSP, TC, Fab Filter.
Old 04-15-2008, 09:47 AM

Quote:
The best one to go for is the Massey 2007 limiter.
I was going to mention this in my previous post. This is an excellent, excellent plug for the money. It's probably the most transparent limiter I've heard, and for the price you just can't beat it.

Yeah, the Waves Q's clip awfully, with terrible pops and distortion. I just about always use the Ren EQ's or Sony Oxfords instead. The only time I ever mess with Q10 is if something needs a really surgical EQ job, and I want those 10 bands.
Old 04-15-2008, 09:55 AM

Quote:
The only time I ever mess with Q10 is if something needs a really surgical EQ job, and I want those 10 bands.
The Massenburg is a whole lot more surgical than waves' Q 10... Sorry to break topic - but MDW is the baddest when it comes to killing a certain FQ... Guess Georgy really hates certain FQ
Old 04-15-2008, 10:46 AM

Wow, getting lots of good responses. thanks guys!
Old 04-15-2008, 01:19 PM

I never use:

AVOX CHOIR and PUNCH (came with massive pack5)
BNR
BF essencials...
Moogerfoogers...
Synchronic
T-Racks
TL Metro (a metronome that doesn't keep the time. For that I have drummers!).

Hackintosh, 3,7 GHz 10-Core Intel i9, 64 GB 3200 MHz DDR4, OSX Catalina 10.15.7, PT HDX 2023.9.0, SSL 4040G+, tons of outboard

Mac Book M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, OSX 23.6, PT Studio 2023.9.0