Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Win)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 11-10-2002, 07:33 AM

Default OT Let\'s have your "Best 12 String Electric" songs!

In the best tradition of the DUC I'd like to start another "Best Of" Thead.

I'm looking for everybodys favorite songs featuring 12 String Electric Guitar!

I know that it's not very popular in the '90's/'00's but maybe due for a revival?

Here's mine...

1. The Byrds, Eight Miles High, could have picked one of many...
2. The Who, I Can't Explain, this has some cool sounding licks in the instrumental sections.
3. Echo & the Bunnymen, Silver, from the Ocean Rain LP
4 The Smiths. This Charming Man. Check out Johnny Marr if you have not done so already.
5. Teenage Fan Club. I Need Direction. Only classic recent song that I could think of.

I used to have a Rickenbacker 360 Semi 12 string, I wish I never sold it! Only have a Ricky 330 6 string now.
A friend of mine has a '66 Fender Coranado Semi 12 string that I'm going to borrow. He does not know that yet!

Cheers! JK London N719
Old 11-10-2002, 08:21 AM

Default Re: OT Let\'s have your "Best 12 String Electric" songs!

Stairway, Live.
Old 11-10-2002, 09:08 AM

I'm gonna cheat a bit, because I think this is acoustic/electric... but The Corr's/'When the Stars go Blue'... and I hope I have that title right... but, that immediately comes to mind as worth mentioning... [img]images/icons/wink.gif[/img]
Old 11-10-2002, 09:24 AM

posted November 10, 2002 07:33 AM
--------------------------------------------------
In the best tradition of the DUC I'd like to start another "Best Of" Thead.

I'm looking for everybodys favorite songs featuring 12 String Electric Guitar!

I know that it's not very popular in the '90's/'00's but maybe due for a revival?

Here's mine...

1. The Byrds, Eight Miles High, could have picked one of many...
2. The Who, I Can't Explain, this has some cool sounding licks in the instrumental sections.
3. Echo & the Bunnymen, Silver, from the Ocean Rain LP
4 The Smiths. This Charming Man. Check out Johnny Marr if you have not done so already.
5. Teenage Fan Club. I Need Direction. Only classic recent song that I could think of.

I used to have a Rickenbacker 360 Semi 12 string, I wish I never sold it! Only have a Ricky 330 6 string now.
A friend of mine has a '66 Fender Coranado Semi 12 string that I'm going to borrow. He does not know that yet!

Cheers! JK London N719

I have a 360/12 and use it a good bit. I also have a 340 (330 with 3 pick ups) that I like a lot.

I like all of the bands that you listed. Johnny Roger being my picks of the lot (for 12 strings).

Have you ever listened to The Church? They've released some stuff over the last few years, but they were bigger around The Smiths heyday. Actually one of The Church albums is called Heyday. Their big hit was Under The Milkyway Tonight. It's moody stuff, but good. I little trippy sometimes. Marty Wilson Piper plays a Ric 12 on almost every song. I've seen them live a couple of times and he plays the 12 string for the entire set. He also played in a band called All About Eve that was pretty good.

Also Ryan Adams uses a bit of 12 string here and there and of course the new Tom Petty has several 12 string tracks.

Scott
Old 11-10-2002, 02:49 PM

Quote:
Have you ever listened to The Church? /Under The Milkyway Tonight. It's moody stuff, but good. Scott[/QB]
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">That's a killer song... one of my favorites for sure... [img]images/icons/cool.gif[/img]
Old 11-10-2002, 03:20 PM

Hi gang

Well if 12 string electrics ring your bells, then you should immerse yourselves in powerpop!! Although most in the mainstream think that there hasn't been much 12 string electric stuff for years, in the powerpop scene the 12 string is everywhere! If you go to Not Lame's website you'll see and hear plenty of great 12 string action.

Also, i of course am a powerpop artist, using a 001 too. You can check out the audio at my site. I'm pretty sure i have a 12 string on every song that's up there. Remember too, that these tracks were all done on the 001!!

I have big hands, so as much as i love Rickys, i just can't play them. So i got my guitar guy Frank Grubisa to make me a 12 string electric with a big fat neck (and 3 Gretsch Filtertrons). You can see that at his site . It's at the end of the first page of the gallery.

I can't get enough of that ringy jangle..

MC
Old 11-10-2002, 10:24 PM

Brian May playing "Love of my Life"using his 12 string live was always just a duet with he and Freddie.He played some great 12 string stuff that was'nt just a bunch of arpeggios.He always finds a way to weave tasteful licks in between rhythm without loosing the pulse of the tune. Stu
Old 11-10-2002, 10:32 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Michael Carpenter:
Hi gang

Well if 12 string electrics ring your bells, then you should immerse yourselves in powerpop!! Although most in the mainstream think that there hasn't been much 12 string electric stuff for years, in the powerpop scene the 12 string is everywhere! If you go to Not Lame's website you'll see and hear plenty of great 12 string action.

Also, i of course am a powerpop artist, using a 001 too. You can check out the audio at my site. I'm pretty sure i have a 12 string on every song that's up there. Remember too, that these tracks were all done on the 001!!

I have big hands, so as much as i love Rickys, i just can't play them. So i got my guitar guy Frank Grubisa to make me a 12 string electric with a big fat neck (and 3 Gretsch Filtertrons). You can see that at his site . It's at the end of the first page of the gallery.

I can't get enough of that ringy jangle..

MC
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">Michael Really good stuff on your site.Your so alone Rocks! Your voice reminds me of the guy in Del Amitri a little bit.Great recording too.
Old 11-10-2002, 10:33 PM

'Have a listen' to some of Leo Kottke's 12 string guitar tunes. He is pretty amazing.

(Although he is a bit outside the scope of the "electric 12string guitar", I still think you will apreciate his work. [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img] )
Old 11-11-2002, 12:50 AM

Well sheesh, I have to chime in again... Leo Kottke... 12 string royalty, for sure. I love to listen to him play. He's like a machine, with 3 or 4 things churning at once...