Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Hardware > Eleven Rack
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 04-20-2011, 11:51 PM

Default Treble Booster

I just *love* the "Texas Treble Maker" from Peavey Revalver, wish it was available for the 11R. Guess what? NOW IT IS!

Don't ask me how I did this, it was a lot of work and involved a pink noise generator, a spectrum analyzer and lots of patience. For our 11R Treble Booster we're gona be using the new Parametric EQ that was made available with the Expansion Pack. Here's how you set it up:

Lows
LGAIN: *not used*
LFREQ: 222.8
L Q: 0.6
LTYPE: HP12

Low Mids
*not used* (just make sure that LM GAIN is set to 0.0)

Hi Mids
HM GAIN: 13.5
HM FREQ: 1.1k
HM Q: 0.4

Highs
HGAIN: *not used*
HFREQ: 4.0k
HTYPE: LP12

For my initial tests I've set the OUTPUT to 4.5dB.

Don't forget, the Treble Booster has to be put BEFORE the amp! I've tested it with the Vox AC30 (of course) and it sounded just as sweet as in Revalver, so mission accomplished

Next time I'll try to replicate Guitar Rig 4's ProFilter, another favorite of mine, with settings for getting some cool Satch-like and fusion lead tones.

Enjoy!

EDIT: Here's the link to the patch - http://www.elevenrackpresets.com/Det...ble-Maker.html
Old 04-21-2011, 12:05 AM

Default Re: Treble Booster

yeah, alot of us use an EQ before the amp to EQ the input to the amp.

You know you can save that effects setting, name it, and recall it later easily, and you can share it with others as well. Save it, zip the file if required by the hoster you are loading to, and upload it on a file sharing site, like box.net and post the link here for others to use.

Windows 11 Pro | macOS 12
Pro Tools 2022
benonistudio.com
Youtube Channel - benonistudio
Plugin Deals
@benonistudio
Old 04-21-2011, 12:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deny View Post
I just *love* the "Texas Treble Maker" from Peavey Revalver, wish it was available for the 11R. Guess what? NOW IT IS!

Don't ask me how I did this, it was a lot of work and involved a pink noise generator, a spectrum analyzer and lots of patience. For our 11R Treble Booster we're gona be using the new Parametric EQ that was made available with the Expansion Pack. Here's how you set it up:

Lows
LGAIN: *not used*
LFREQ: 222.8
L Q: 0.6
LTYPE: HP12

Low Mids
*not used* (just make sure the LM GAIN is set to 0.0)

Hi Mids
HM GAIN: 13.5
HM FREQ: 1.1k
HM Q: 0.4

Highs
HGAIN: *not used*
HFREQ: 4.0k
HTYPE: LP12

For my initial tests I've set the OUTPUT to 4.5dB.

Don't forget, the Treble Booster has to be put BEFORE the amp! I've tested it with the Vox AC30 (of course) and it sounded just as sweet as in Revalver, so mission accomplished

Next time I'll try to replicate Guitar Rig 4's ProFilter, another favorite of mine, with settings for getting some cool Satch-like and fusion lead tones.

Enjoy!

How did you do it?!?!

That's cool man! Will try it out sometime soon :)
Old 04-21-2011, 07:58 AM

I'm not real familiar with Revalver. But treble boosters were all the rage of the later British Invasion>British Electric blues era. That Page guy used one all the time back in the day to goose the front of the amp. Even the early Judas Priest stuff was using the Pete Cornish treble boosters. I Look forward to checking this out.

Formerly Hobo Wan Kenobi

Core 2 Specs Page

ASUS P6T6 Revolution | i7 930 | 12GB OCZ DDR3 1600 7-7-7-20 | PTLE 10 | CPTK | 003 | Presonus D8 | 11Rack | Alesis AI3 | Presonus HP60 | Mercury + Studio Classics | Sound Toys | MasseyPack | Axiom61 | MAudio Keystation Pro 88
Old 04-21-2011, 10:03 AM
Avid

Wow, you guys just beat me to the punch. I'm about to post a blog on treble boosting with Eleven Rack. Actual treble booster effects generally have a 6dB per octave high-pass filter slope, so selecting the HP6 filter type is generally the best way to go. Filter cutoff is usually around 1kHz, but set it to whatever sounds good. Also, most treble boosters have a low impedance so turn True-Z down to a low value.
Old 04-21-2011, 10:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Townsend View Post
Wow, you guys just beat me to the punch. I'm about to post a blog on treble boosting with Eleven Rack. Actual treble booster effects generally have a 6dB per octave high-pass filter slope, so selecting the HP6 filter type is generally the best way to go. Filter cutoff is usually around 1kHz, but set it to whatever sounds good. Also, most treble boosters have a low impedance so turn True-Z down to a low value.
You snooze you lose, Chris :)

PS: Your email sent me on a rampage... I've got Audacity figured out, the moment things cool down at work I'm BACK IN THE GAME!
Old 04-21-2011, 12:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Townsend View Post
Thanks for the tips, I'll give them a try. There are lots of treble boosters out there, I just reverse-engineered my current favorite - I'm not crazy about the one in GR4 for instance.

BTW just updated the first post of the thread with a link to the patch download page.
Old 04-21-2011, 01:55 PM
Avid

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deny View Post
Thanks for the tips, I'll give them a try. There are lots of treble boosters out there, I just reverse-engineered my current favorite - I'm not crazy about the one in GR4 for instance.
I think without a True-Z style impedance matching circuit it's pretty much impossible to accurately model a typical treble booster. And it just so happens that Eleven Rack has a True-Z circuit in it!