Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Win)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 01-25-2004, 05:59 PM

Default Isa 428, octopre, digimax for drums

Does anyone recommend getting a Focusrite isa 428 (4 pres) instead of an octopre or digimax(both 8 pres)? I know they are different in pres and price, but I actually own 2 high end pres (MP2NV) that would make a total of 6. Is 6 enough for recording drums? How would you do use them in a kit?
Old 01-25-2004, 08:26 PM

Default Re: Isa 428, octopre, digimax for drums

What kind of music do you want to do? What kind of drum sound are you going for? Please be as specific as possible. What other equipment do you have?
Old 01-25-2004, 09:54 PM

Have you checked out the new Octane by M-Audio? Looks like a great gaget, and if it sounds anything like the DMP3 its a proven preamp. I think the money:quality ratio is unequalled.

I usually just go with 4 mics on a kit. It is the simplest, and easiest. More mics mean more potential phasing problems.

I go with one on kick, one on snare and 2 overheads.

Old 01-25-2004, 10:16 PM

the octane looks cool
but is it gonna be better than the Digimax
also do u know when its coming out?

cuz i may be purchasing a Digimax in a couple weeks
but if this is better it might be worth to wait
for it
Old 01-25-2004, 10:24 PM

Quote:
Does anyone recommend getting a Focusrite isa 428 (4 pres) instead of an octopre or digimax(both 8 pres)? I know they are different in pres and price, but I actually own 2 high end pres (MP2NV) that would make a total of 6. Is 6 enough for recording drums? How would you do use them in a kit?
Rems,

if you have already commited to high end pre's like the MP-2NV, you would be in a great place by going in the ISA direction...

6 pre's is certainly enough for drums (I use up to 9) but I dont always have to depending on the tune..2 overheads, 1 kick, 1 snare, 1 hi-hat, 1 mono room mic, would be a great drum setup with toms coming through the overheads. (thats just one of many examples)

the cool thing about the ISA, is the fact that with its optional 8 channel A/D converter card, you could run your 2 channel Great River as well as your 4 ch. ISA and you'd still have 2 channels of A/D conversion remaining for future mic pre growth...

the ISA A/D option card is about $600ish but your getting a quality 8 channel converter for that price. There's no way I'll a digimax could touch that set-up, plus you're setting yourself up for growth...in the meantime you could use the Great River and the ISA analog only with the 001 until you're ready to upgrade to the digital card and thats still an impressive 6 total pre's.
Old 01-26-2004, 03:00 AM

I have an Octopre with the ADAT card and I really like it as an all purpose 8ch preamp. If you already have 2 Great River pres (which I haven't listened to but know to be good units) a 428 could be a good way to go; I think it's step up the Octopre, and getting the AD card will allow you to hook the GRs up and use the 428 as a 8 ch converter too: a real bargain; I plan to get one (428) too down the road this year. Drums would be great running kick, snare and OHs on the 428 and the rest of the mics for the kit (and other instr) on the Octopre, all synched to the 428 wordclock and lightpiped at 96KHz to my Mackie SDR2496 HD recorder...
If 6 channels are enough for drums depends alot on what style you are recording: for pop/rock drums I used to record up to 10/12 (depending on the size of the kit), for Jazz I use max 4, everything in between for the other styles.

In the end, 428 four great quality pres and a good 8ch AD converter (my first choice), Octopre, 8 good quality pres with average 8 Ch converter (second choice, but good too).

Hope this helps

L.G.
Old 01-26-2004, 04:42 AM

Hi there,

Personally I love the Millenia HV-3D (8-Channel) Preamp for recording drums or guitars.

We were in the studio for about three months with the band I play in to track a new album. We had the great opportunity to try out tons of really expensive gear! We had most of the "big" Focusrite Pre's, quite a few Manley Lab's Pre's and the same amount of Millenia Pre's. First we tracked the drums (approx. 12 Mic's) with a different set of the most expensive of pre's and of course a great set of Neumann, Brauner, Schoeps and Brul&Kujer Mics.

The recordings sounded great - but we still seemed to be lacking some tightness and the ultimate groove which I think is more important than the sound itself... so we thought, hey there must be some difference with latency between the mixture of those different preamps and went along and hooked the mic's up to two Millenia HV-3D 8-Channel Pre's. The Drummer plays tight so we could be shure we would have most similar playing when recording - and hey, after connecting the mic's to the same Pre's it was tight and man it grooved!

Maybe it was just a conincidence and the drummer played "the perfect" take while recording with the millenias but something happened with the groove and tightness... and I'm pretty shure its because of those millenias...

When it came to recording my guitars we then again hooked up alle the mics from the cabinets on the millenias... it just translated in the mix! It was great!

For the vocals we didn't like the Millenia HV-3D for our singer - it sounded to "clean". We used another one of my favorites... Manley Lab's Vox Box! And hey - if you don't like the sound you will love the looks of this baby! Check it out on the manley webpage...

So if your having problems with tightness or groove and your drummer seems to be tight - maybe try to record with the same pre's...

Have a nice day,
mark
Old 01-26-2004, 04:00 PM

Thanks for all your replies! I want to record pop, ballad and rock primarily.
Old 01-26-2004, 09:42 PM

No doubt the 8 channel Millennia is smokin and so is the $3800.00 price tag, as well as the $3700.00 Manely Vox Box!

the 8 channel octopre with the extra digital option card will run about $1200.00 for both...I know the Millinia is in a whole different area code, I wonder through a digi001 you'll hear the $2600.00 difference? I would hope so!...thats a lot of scratch for that piece. I guess you could start a collection of API's in a lunchbox if you're gonna go the Millinia route. at least you could gradually add each component as your budget allows!
Old 01-26-2004, 10:03 PM

Go w/ the isa 428...I have it as well as the a/d card and it's an amazing deal for $2000 approx. The pre's arent exactly too transparent and do have a bit of character to them..Great on Overheads and room mics...As for the Great river, I bet that thing kicks the hell out of the kick and snare...I've been wanting one of those for a while now...I'm really getting bored of the Apogee Trak2...It's just too damn transparent and lends no character...But it's a great unit for a/d and d/a so I'll keep it...

You really cant go wrong w/ the isa though..I highly reccomend the unit...I'd say it's one of the best deals out there....