Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Win)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 01-27-2004, 03:33 PM

Default Cubase to Pro Tools

Is there anyone here who left Cubase SX to come to PT and if so why.

I'm selling my VS-2480 and considering what to buy next. I'm using Cubase SX2 but I'm being enticed to PT by some of it's functions and plugs.

Cubase sounds great and my workflow is quick and easy but PT is calling me.

Honest responses please.

FatBelly Slim

Oh no, not the sprinklers again.
Old 01-27-2004, 06:36 PM

Default Re: Cubase to Pro Tools

Went from SX1.0 and I can't even look at Cubase now. Make the switch now. If you want to work in most pro situations you have to know Pro Tools. I fought it for a long time. The transition is easy. Go for it!
Old 01-27-2004, 06:46 PM

i worked in cubase and protools. loved cubase, but i made the decision to move to protools because...i just liked it better.

go left next time
Old 01-27-2004, 06:56 PM

I used SX for a year but never got good stuff out of it. Too many windows and terminology got in the way. Audio files, parts, regions, clips, events...Which was which. A mixer that shows sends or inserts but not both. A send box that is a separate window. And sooooo many tracks that you have to shut off when inserting VSTi's since it automatically it makes all 16 and fills the mixer up. So you hide a whole bunch and start to forget what you have and don't have. I would make so many duplicate tracks that I forgot I had. MIDI - although powerful, the editing window got clogged up when I just wanted to see events for 2 tracks and not every track or one track. And even with the inspector, I never knew waht verse I was on.

The crunch happened when I made a major upgrade to my system and got a 3G CPU. The friggin dongle wouldn't work - but it still worked on the old computer. The children working at tech support told me to reformat. I did it - still no dongle. SO they said to reformat again. I politely suggested that they reformat their dongles.

Next day I bought an 002R. ( my old interface was and RME Hammerfall Multiface which alone costs more than the 002R and doesn't come with PTLE.) I installed PT and was tracking within minutes. I learnt the interface to get started in 30 minutes and when I grasped the Aux insert concept for midi VSTi's I was good to go. Now I record any time of day without have to refresh a few techniques before I started. PT is just there. It works with me. Nothing to get in the way.
-HD I/O 8x8x8. -HD Omni -Avid S3

-API 2500 -API 5500 -UA 2-1176 -UA 2-610
-Neve 1073, Chandler LTD-1 -Eventide H8000FW -Lexicon PCM96
-Bricasti M7. -Joe Meek channel.

-Waves Mercury, Flux all, Softube All, Plugin Alliance all, McDSP all, Sonnox All, MH production, Wave Arts,a bunch more
-Moog Voyager XL, Nord Piano, Hartmann Neuron, ARP Axxe, Gibson Les Paul, Mesa Boogie Roadster, Kemper, Taylor T5 and T5-12
Old 01-28-2004, 08:48 AM

Hi, just for a tip.

I have 2 daws in my home, running protools 6.1.1 and Nuendo 2.1.

In my opnion, Protools is fantastic for Audio and Mixing, but Nuendo is superb on MIDI and Virtual instruments.

You can get two daws synchronized via MTC. PT master and Nuendo slave.

Cubase SX is very similar than Nuendo, but here in Brazil, Nuendo is most popular.

Regards,
VST2RTAS User
*don't use a Celeron or Duron processors
Old 01-28-2004, 02:53 PM

I got out of the business in 1990. When I left my "room" it had an automated 32 input Neve console, MCI 24 trk, Studer 1/2" 2 track, Lexicon 480L, Westlake monitors, blah, blah, blah.... In 1999/2000 I felt the itch to get back in, but didn’t want to spend (didn’t really have it) the kind of money I had before. I researched all the major DAW software: Nuendo, Cubase, SAW, Vegas, Cooledit. My conclusion was that ProTools worked more like a real console/tape machine. I can do anything workflow wise that I could do with my old studio and the cool thing is I didn’t have to read the manual that much to get going. I have the 001 and can't believe that Digi can give that much value for $800. Sure the 001 has some shortcomings in the AD/DA, mic pres, but it has the lightpipe & SPDIF I/O’s, which opens a whole new world of quality options. I was turned on to the 001 by Julian Standen the owner of the "Library" in London, a PT/Mix 24/ProControl based studio. He said "Native" was the way to go, I believe him. I use an old 800mhz Celeron based PC for virtual instruments/GigaSampler with an RME SPDIF/Adat card., you could do that for Cubase and sync it to PT if you need more midi capabilities, might even use Cubasis ($75, but don't know if it will sync to MTC). Cubase with a decent multi channel card would be about $1200; Nuendo with a RME Hammerfall, and 8 channels of AD/DA is about $2800. A Digi 001, M-Audio Audiophile 2496 card, Cubasis (I can't find a PDF manual, so I'm downloading the demo to see if it will sync to MTC) and secondhand PIII/Celeron PC for Cubasis can all be had for about $1300-1400. YMMV
Gigabyte RX580 8 Gb
Win 10 Pro

15" Mid-2015 MBP 2.2 GHz i7 16 Gb RAM
512 Gb Flash Drive - OS X 10.14.6