Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Win)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 10-20-2003, 11:10 PM

Default Do you ever create your own samples?

If so, what methods do you use? I'm just curious... I do it all the time, often guitar or mandolin based, using several of the 'tools' available, plugins, etc.
How about you guys? Feel free to post any examples.
thanks, Roy
Old 10-21-2003, 01:03 AM

Default Re: Do you ever create your own samples?

I almost only use my own samples when I'm recording for myself. I usually make them live, with any type of sound, and record them with mikes, AKG C-414 or C-451B (for stereo) most of the time, sometimes others like Rode or even Schoeps. It can be instruments, like accordeons, guitars, jewish harps, voices or any type of noise, and then I work on them with a big multi-effect processor (KSP8), generally live with the remote. Sometimes with plugs, but not that often. The last very strange thing I have made that way was recording snow falling, and then transform it into a bumping nightmare, live of course ! In Midi, I usually create my own sounds on a Kurzweil synth/sampler, and then use lots of different controllers, like ribbons and all, to give all of my sounds (midi AND audio) a touch of life... I'll post some soon if you want, but now I got to go to work ! Then again, if it's for a very urgent command, like "gotta have that for yesterday", then I use some existing samples, but I find it way less interesting as musical material...

How about you then ?

Yann
Old 10-21-2003, 12:24 PM

WM,
Very interesting...I would love to record and use 'outside' sounds to use for this and that, but I don't have that type of recorder yet. Twice I've been at a 'carnival' type setting and wished I had a recorder with me...once to catch people laughing as this huge ride spun around. Most of what I do are musical samples, with theory involved. There are almost too many examples to list. But for instance, I wanted to capture the 'Strat sound' once, but without hearing any strum of pick noise, just the pure sustaining aftermath. So, I created this in several keys. Now I use this combined with other things occasionally in my stuff. I've also used the VariFi plugin, which makes pitch ascend and descend, to create contolled samples in certain keys. The effect is killer and very unique...not just noise.
I would love to hear some of your samples here, and I'll be glad to post a few too.
thanks, Roy
Old 10-21-2003, 12:39 PM

Something I want to try is using x-noise or sound soap to remove noise from a track. But set it high so it removes some rythmic elements too. Then audition the noise being removed and record that. Chop it up and loop my chops into beats. I need to save a little money first so I can get the plugins.
Tee
homepage
Old 10-21-2003, 01:13 PM

Sounds cool, Tito...just about anything you can imagine, you can create. If you do it, post it so I can hear it.
thanks, Roy
Old 10-21-2003, 01:19 PM

Luckily, I have a 25' foot mic cable which allows me to roam around the apt. and capture interesting sounds. The most interesting source to date is water droplets slowly hitting a deep bowl filled halfway, and subsequently at different water levels for different pitches. I won't say what I do with it once it's in PT, but needless to say, whatever your technique, you can certainly create interesting timbres.

Huge stainless steel mixing bowls are always a joy. Throw a small marble inside and spin it around as you record, a bit fast, a bit slow, then throw a tennis ball in for some interesting bass texture (nestle under the regular bass lines or during breaks). Yum, yum, there's really no limit anymore, a mic and an arm recorded track combined with anything that makes noise = barrel of monkey fun.

The best part is once it's in the sampler, say NN-XT, tweak the amplitude attack to slow and a slow release to create interesting pads. Go nuts with filters and modulate the crap out of stuff. That innocent water droplet turns into the most haunting and beautiful sound at the end. It's lovely.

There's tons more, explore!
Old 10-21-2003, 04:01 PM

I'de like to hear it, pk... or just an example. Sounds interesting.