Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Win)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 09-04-2003, 05:17 AM

Default Sync RADAR and 001

I'm trying to sync 001 to a RADAR24 via MTC. No matter what settings I try the best I can get is the main counter in Protools runs in sync with the RADAR main counter, but the sub counter does not run and the curser in Protools does not move. We have a HUI connected to the 001 Midi I/O but it is disabled. The RADAR Midi I/O is connected to Protools via an Eiderol USB Midi interface. Any ideas?

Matthew 11:15
Old 09-04-2003, 05:34 AM

Default Re: Sync RADAR and 001

If you sync using TC, you should set the start-time of your session in protools to 00:00:00 (or whatever time your session start in RADAR). It defaults to 1:00:00:00 (one hour).

Bastiaan
Old 09-04-2003, 04:42 PM

Thanks Bastiaan. I'll try that ASAP.
Old 09-04-2003, 04:54 PM

Besides MTC, also feed SPDIF clock from the Radar to Pro Tools and set your clock to SPDIF.

Rail
••••••••••••••••••••••••••••
Old 09-05-2003, 04:51 AM

Thanks guys. All is well. It's the simple things you overlook that cause all the problems.
We'll be tracking Tuesday. Can't wait to hear the RADAR. Protools has found it's true calling
and is functioning only as a metronome for this session!
Old 09-05-2003, 07:39 AM

Quote:
Protools has found it's true calling
and is functioning only as a metronome for this session!
Out of curiosity, what's the advantage of syncing the 001 to a radar; couldn't you simply track to the radar and transfer the tracks to PT when you were done, or better yet, skip PTLE altogether? I love my 001, but a radar is a much higher end daw, no?

Also, sorry to show my ignorance, what's MTC?

thanks.

bp
Old 09-05-2003, 07:57 AM

MTC is Midi TimeCode. Just like SMPTE-timecode, only mtc is in midi-form and smpte is in audioform (sounds a bit like a faxmachine gone crazy).

Bastiaan
Old 09-05-2003, 04:02 PM

[/QUOTE]
Out of curiosity, what's the advantage of syncing the 001 to a radar; couldn't you simply track to the radar and transfer the tracks to PT when you were done, or better yet, skip PTLE altogether? I love my 001, but a radar is a much higher end daw, no?

[/QUOTE]

Actually I was being literal about using Protools as a metronome. I haven't done this before but I think it will work. The plan is to track to RADAR with PTLE slaved to RADAR, PTLE has the Click plug in on one aux input which is recorded to RADAR along with guitar, bass drums and scratch vocal.
Playing the click live rather than previously recording it will allow for tempo adjustments if at the last minute we find the track needs it. The click can later be recorded to a track in PTLE (to avoid latency issues) then, after importing the RADAR files and the RADAR/PTLE clicks are lined up we should have grid accurate tracks at the selected tempo.
Tracking will be done in RADAR, overdubs in RADAR or in Protools via the RADAR clock/converters. The majority of editing will be done in Protools. RADAR is not so much a DAW as a stand alone hard disk recorder. You can do alot of editing on it but at present I'm much more comfortable editing in Protools. You can't mix or use plug-in's on RADAR, it's made to replace a pro 24 track tape machine and does so quite well. No tape, no maintenence or alignment, just lots of reliability and great sound.