Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > AAX Plug-ins
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 02-08-2013, 04:04 PM

Default Re: Noob question: Free vs. not free effects

Funny that so many plugins are touted as exact models of vintage gear.

I saw an interview with Geoff Emerick (engineer for the Beatles) where he basically said he thought the compressors he used back then sucked, but that's what they had.

Now I see models of stuff I used to use.
They're never right, not enough hiss
Old 02-19-2013, 03:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kris75 View Post
The tools that come free with PT are world class and there is no need to spend money on plug ins unless you actually know why you want to buy them.
The Air plugins, EQIII, Dverb, Sansamp and Dyn compressor are all nice however some of the VI's are very basic imo. There are some usable sounds here and there, but i really hope we get betters sounds and more control over them in next version.
Old 02-20-2013, 02:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by spenner View Post
To the OP: It took some time and wasted money, in the newbie stage, for me to realize that the song arrangement, instrument selection, mic selection and placement, and solid tracking skills are the most important assets to music production. If they are there and you, for example, know how to use a compressor, then it does not take an expensive or 3rd party plugin to compress vocals ITB.
This is absolutely true. If you're really thinking about expanding your tools don't spend your money on plug-ins/software that will depreciate instantly. Think about buying some choice bits of hardware. I've recently got hold of the C|24 and I feel my mixing has come on leaps and bounds now I can get my hands on the mix.

Good luck.

Mac Mini 8,1 (2018) | 3.2 GHz 6-Core Intel i7 | 64GB Ram | Apple 27" LED Cinema | 2TB System Drive | LaCie Rugged USB-C 2TB SSD NVMe Audio Drive | UAD-2 Quad Satellite (Firewire)

macOS Catalina 10.15.7 | Pro Tools Ultimate 2021.7 | Avid HDX TB3 Chassis | HDX | Avid Omni | Avid 16x16 HD I/O x2 | Digidesign 192 | Digidesign C24