Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > Windows
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 07-22-2011, 04:18 PM

Default i7 configuration question

I built my computer at the beginning of the year according to the posts and optimizations here. Win7pro 64, i7 950, gigabyte ud3r, 6gb 1333MHz, 120gb ssd, 2 tb WD.

Two issues I think I may have is that my system is in IDE mode I know it's supposed to be in AHCI for pro tools. The other is I left my ram at the default for my mobo(1033MHz) which is not what my RAM is(1333MHz).
Am I losing out on anything with these settings? My out of date video driver was causing BSOD's, but since updating it, the whole system is solid no problems.
Old 07-22-2011, 04:52 PM

Default Re: i7 configuration question

Changing from IDE to AHCI is a major pain in the bum (well was last time I did it). The advantages of AHCI is RAID (which we don't use); NCQ (a bit of extra speed); and a likely small improvement in throughput. Running IDE is fine, the Mb/s are still massive in IDE mode and any advantage would be so small as to not be worth the effort imho. I do recommend AHCI for a new build, but not worth the effort if you're running fine in IDE mode.

The RAM being at the lower setting should also be fine. However running at 1333 means the RAM will be running quite a lot faster - improving all memory operations across the entire system. I would increase your memory speed in BIOS for the performance gain. If you do this, make sure you enter the correct timings for your RAM in BIOS also - this is important as incorrect timings can easily lead to errors. Additionally, you may find your memory is not running in Triple Channel - this will give a another nice performance increase.

Lastly, ensure you have backups before screwing around with low level settings.

Good luck,
Mike.

Avid Pro Tools|HD Native 9.0.3. Win7x64Sp1. i7-930 X58A-UD3R. Acronis backup. Black Viper optimized.
Google the DUC
Search Avid

Old 07-22-2011, 06:31 PM

Thumbs up Re: i7 configuration question

Thanks for the Info Mike, I'll keep it where it's at and look into changing the RAM timmings in the future when I know how to do it correctly. How can you tell if it's in tri channel mode, I placed the ram in according to the manual for triple channel.
Old 07-22-2011, 07:52 PM

The most noticeable difference I noticed with AHCI is transferring files between drives. I.e, Dragging a 2GB file to another drive in IDE mode is considerably slower. Also, with AHCI you're able to hot plug SATA hard drives. This comes in very handy with my external SATA dock used for backup and dual boot drives.

If you like, here is how to change to AHCI after installation. I've done it a few times before with no problems.
Old 07-22-2011, 09:35 PM

Hmmm..interesting..I will try the AHCI thing as well. I will Save a System Restore before annything else.

Btw, I have an almost similar set-up, my mobo is 1066 Mhs and my 24 GB ram are 1333. Is it possible to make use of the ram speed when your Mobo is running lower? and how? I thought the Mobo dictates teh Ram speed.

thanks
Old 07-22-2011, 09:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by S.TaylorRCC View Post
Thanks for the Info Mike, I'll keep it where it's at and look into changing the RAM timmings in the future when I know how to do it correctly. How can you tell if it's in tri channel mode, I placed the ram in according to the manual for triple channel.
In the bios there is a setting "Channel Interleaving" by default it is set to 6. Set it to 3 for Triple Channel.

..and thanks for the link spenner, very helpful and easy :)

Mike.

Avid Pro Tools|HD Native 9.0.3. Win7x64Sp1. i7-930 X58A-UD3R. Acronis backup. Black Viper optimized.
Google the DUC
Search Avid

Old 07-22-2011, 10:11 PM

I see Channel Interleaving and it's set to 6. it's Under the DRAM timing selectable part, But it doesn't let me select it. It has 3 options I can choose Auto witch it's currently on, Quick and Expert. What should I do?
Old 07-22-2011, 10:15 PM

Quick will let you change ram frequency, timings, and interleaving.
Mike.

Google the DUC
Search Avid

Old 07-22-2011, 10:25 PM

Ok, thanks again Mike, I switched it to 3. I Didn't know about that,(or I didnt read about that in the i7 thread.) Do I need to concern myself with the Rank Interleaving witch is currently set at 4?
Old 07-22-2011, 11:34 PM

I honestly don't remember why, but yes I have it default to 4.

Edit: I just did a quick google trying to find the rationale for rank and channel. Haven't found it, but I think I'll do some ram speed test this afternoon...

Mike.

Google the DUC
Search Avid