Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools TDM Systems (Mac)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 08-20-2003, 02:12 AM

Default Apogee Rosetta 800 clocking

I have a mix+ system with an adat bridge, 882, motu midi timepiece and a couple ADATs. I currently clock the system from the superclock output of the timepiece into the bridge and then the 882. I am looking to make a good upgrade in conversion and was looking at the Rosetta 800. Of course I would like to use the Apogee as the master clock, but it only has wordclock out and not superclock. I heard that the timepiece is not a great device for a master clock. I was wondering what the best way would be to achieve this. Is the idea of clocking through lightpipe good or should I try to feed wordclock into the timepiece and then send superclock from there. I always found these clocking issues a bit confusing and want to get the best out of the system. Thanks.
Old 08-20-2003, 09:18 AM

Default Re: Apogee Rosetta 800 clocking

Have you looked at the Appogee Big Ben?? That might do it for you.

Always err on the side of perfection.
Old 08-20-2003, 01:55 PM

Tell me something I don't know!

I want them both!

ROB
Old 08-20-2003, 05:14 PM

There is no question that for this solution you would want both the Apogee Big Ben for clocking and clock distribution (as well as format conversion) and the Rosetta 800. However, that being said, we do realize that these are expensive items. AudioLot does have a package for both these items purchased together but what I wanted to let you know is that if you first need an unreal clocking system, you can purchase Big Ben without having to purchase the Rosetta 800. This allows you to use the Apogee C777 clocking and have the format conversion options all the up to 192kHz and then when you get a bit more cash (if that is the holdup here, if not ignore all of this and just get them both at the same time) you can purchase the Rosetta 800.

Hope that helps!
Old 08-21-2003, 02:18 AM

Yes, the Big Ben is definitely on my shopping list, but I really need a converter first and was looking to use that as a clock for now. Anything should be better than my current setup. Also one of the ADATs has PSU problems and is virtually unusable. The reason I did not want to continue to use the MIDI Timepiece for a central clock is because I thought the internal Rosetta clock would be somewhat better. Any ideas what the best way to clock this system would be? Or do you think a Big Ben would make more of a difference bearing in mind the lack of quality converters I have at the moment?
Old 08-21-2003, 05:58 AM

Joshua can you tell me what the rosetta 800 lists for and is there a 96K version as well (dont have much need for 192K)
thanks.

Erlin
Old 08-21-2003, 10:52 AM

The 96kHz lists for $2995 but AudioLot has a deal going on with both standalone purchases of the Rosetta 800 units (either 96kHz or 192kHz) and an amazing deal when you purchase both the Rosetta 800 192kHz and Big Ben. Give us a call to discuss.

(once again, please note that I am answering a question and not spamming the forums)
Old 08-21-2003, 06:26 PM

HI

A late night and extensive tests on ROSETTA 800 that arrived this evening!

Conclusion ....the Rosetta clocking is no better than the internal on my YAMAHA 02R (or to look at it another way the YAMMY is as good as the APOGEE ROSETTA 800!!)
Actually quite pleased with this as I didn't want to have to remix everthing that I have done lately knowing that thr ROSETTA made a world of difference (in its clocking ability)

Will have to be persuaded BIG TIME to go for the BIG BEN or I'll let you take the £££PLUNGE££ and borrow it off you ...HO HO!

See my other post on APOGEE or NANOSYNC !

ROB
Old 08-21-2003, 06:32 PM

I'd be very curious to see where exactly these tests came from because I can almost certainly guarantee you that what you say is not the case at all. I encourage to speak diretly with Apogee on this to confirm these so called "late night tests".

From Apogee's direct tests and my own knowledge I can honestly tell you that the Rosetta 800's sound is second to none and the clocking off of Big Ben is quite simply the best in the industry bar none.
Old 08-21-2003, 10:33 PM

Quote:
HI

A late night and extensive tests on ROSETTA 800 that arrived this evening!

Conclusion ....the Rosetta clocking is no better than the internal on my YAMAHA 02R (or to look at it another way the YAMMY is as good as the APOGEE ROSETTA 800!!)
Actually quite pleased with this as I didn't want to have to remix everthing that I have done lately knowing that thr ROSETTA made a world of difference (in its clocking ability)

Will have to be persuaded BIG TIME to go for the BIG BEN or I'll let you take the £££PLUNGE££ and borrow it off you ...HO HO!

See my other post on APOGEE or NANOSYNC !

ROB
How did you come to this conclusion?