Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools TDM Systems (Mac)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 10-23-2007, 09:37 AM

Default Best all around G4 for a PT Mix system...?

Hi,
I may be needing to get a new (used) G4 for my Mix system if I can't iron out some of the issues I'm having with my current G4 / 933.

Used G4's are pretty affordable, but I want to make sure that I don't get one that might have hidden issues with Pro Tools Mix. I also seem to remember some complaints about fan noise with certain Apple models, and since our computer isn't fully isolated I don't want to get one that sounds like a plane taking off when the fan kicks in.

Also, is Pro Tools 6.4.1, RTAS plugs in particular, able to take advantage of dual processors under OSX?

Any tips would be appreciated - Steve
Old 10-23-2007, 10:45 AM

Default Re: Best all around G4 for a PT Mix system...?

Hey Steve,

I've been using a G4 1GB Dual Processor Quicksilver (QS) with my Mix Plus system for five years now without any issues whatsoever. It's rock solid... and I'm currently running Pro Tools 6.4. G4's are obviously not as quiet as G5's or Mac Pro's but I've found the Quicksilvers to be substantially quieter than the Mirror Door Drive (MDD) models (which were know for their high pitched whine). The only issue that I ran into with mine was that the factory installed graphics card conflicted with the Mix Core. It was a long time ago so I don't remember exactly what the issue was, but as soon as I swapped it out with an ATI card (I don't remember the model), it worked perfectly. It was strange stuff though.

All that said, I am currently waiting on Digi to deliver my new HD card, at which point I'll be selling my G4 if you're interested. By all accounts, I would assume if you just threw another Mix card in it you would be up and running. I figure that I'll receive my new card within the next week or two. Email me if you're interested or if you'd like more info on the graphics card... [email protected]

Oh, and I am 99% sure that 6.4 can take advantage of both processors but I can check when I'm back at the studio.

Best,

Ryan
Old 10-23-2007, 02:31 PM

All later G4s are noisy.

That being said the last G4 made is the Dual 1.42, I used that one with an HD3 accel. Which I originally had a MIX 3 in it.
I went on to a G5, but the G4 Dual 1.42 is still in use hosting an MBox with LE!!!!
Old 10-23-2007, 04:36 PM

Quote:
All later G4s are noisy.
The other problem is that the faster ones run really hot. That ends up cooking your cards, and decreasing their lifespan. If at all possible, you'll be better off if you can pick up an expansion chassis for your Mix cards.

The G4's that were retrofitted with the quieter power supply from Apple run REALLY hot inside. If you have a machine room, you're much better off with the noisier, faster running fans.
Old 10-24-2007, 07:50 AM

Thanks, this is all really helpful advice. No machine room here. I've got a pseudo quiet case that I cobbled together - open front and back for ventilation - in addition to some heavy plywood baffles. So fan noise is an issue, but so is heat. It gets really hot in here in the summer (and really freakin' cold in the winter). So I'm not sure. I do have access to an expansion chassis actually...

The 933 I've got now seems to be limping along ok. Wondering if the performance bump from a dual 1.25 or 1.42 processor for RTAS plugs is worth the cost and hassle - and potential new issues - of upgrading...?