Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools 12
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 02-04-2016, 03:05 PM

Default BaseHead Ultra 4.x with PT HDX 12 / 10 ??

Before going thru purchase or waiting to demo, was wondering if anyone has used the latest version of BaseHead Ultra on a HDX system, and if so, any/what bugs they've encountered? - I won't be upgrading from HD to HDX for another month, but was hoping to get some feedback from elsewhere beforehand - trying to get all lined up in advance... Thanks!
Old 02-04-2016, 03:08 PM

Default Re: BaseHead Ultra 4.x with PT HDX 12 / 10 ??

Haven't used a current version of Basehead for a while but I use an old version with HDN. Only issues have to do with OS upgrades more than anything else. Not sure this helps. :)
Old 02-04-2016, 03:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CygnusX-1Bk2 View Post
Haven't used a current version of Basehead for a while but I use an old version with HDN. Only issues have to do with OS upgrades more than anything else. Not sure this helps. :)
Thanks, but can't get an answer from 'em if it's even approved to run the new BH 4x with HDX, so still would like to find out if anyone has/is!
What OS are you running with HDN that has/had issues with BaseHead ?
Old 02-04-2016, 03:26 PM

I'm on 10.9.5. Every once in a while Basehead will crash while auditioning. Happens when I am moving quickly through files. My SFX library is local but I think when jumping through directories quickly I'll get the beachball and then it crashes. PITA more than anything else.

In my office we are using NetMix 4.9 (could use 5 but 4.9 is stable). I was one of Creative Network Design's first customers so I know NetMix pretty well and have experience with SoundMiner as well. I like that I can drag and drop from Basehead where I cannot from NetMix, but I like how the bins work in NetMix. SoundMiner is similar to NetMix but a little clunkier on functionality but has a better GUI than NetMix.

Also the version of Basehead that I am using limits finds to 1000 entries which is also a pain.
Old 02-04-2016, 04:23 PM

It's not like having a HDX card will change the compatibility of Pro Tools with any other software. It either works or it doesn't. The one limitation Pro Tools has when working with Basehead in OSX (in case you're not aware) is no ReWire capability, so you'll have to do an optical connection out of your computer and into your interface for Basehead to make any sound inside Pro Tools.

It works fine with PT 12.
Old 02-04-2016, 04:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by polyh3dron View Post
It's not like having a HDX card will change the compatibility of Pro Tools with any other software. It either works or it doesn't. The one limitation Pro Tools has when working with Basehead in OSX (in case you're not aware) is no ReWire capability, so you'll have to do an optical connection out of your computer and into your interface for Basehead to make any sound inside Pro Tools.

It works fine with PT 12.
Old 02-04-2016, 04:31 PM

Hah... Thanks, NO, I did NOT know it didn't function within Rewire ! That would be a major disadvantage for me... will recheck, but coulda sworn their current site page for 4X sez it supports Rewire...
Old 02-15-2016, 09:36 AM

According to their site, there is rewire support for 32 bit PT systems but support for 64 bit systems will not be available until they release v4.5. They offer a discount for Source Nexus products which will do what what Rewire does (on 64 bit PT) but that'll run you about another 100 bucks for stereo and 300 for 8 channels.
Old 02-15-2016, 09:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by daniri View Post
According to their site, there is rewire support for 32 bit PT systems but support for 64 bit systems will not be available until they release v4.5. They offer a discount for Source Nexus products which will do what what Rewire does (on 64 bit PT) but that'll run you about another 100 bucks for stereo and 300 for 8 channels.
Thanks - since orig post, I've had conversations with Steve (BH is his app) - he has no intention of going back to or accommodating Rewire going forward/again at this point - all Source Nexus or nuthin since it's more advanced, has many advanced features, but as you said, $$$ additional for SN, even with discount code ... winds up being close to SoundMiner in cost with both...