Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Hardware > Pro Tools HDX & HD Native Systems (Mac)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Closed Thread

Old 01-04-2012, 09:18 AM

Default Re: HDX smokes HD2

Quote:
Originally Posted by bad jitter View Post
I don't follow your logic. Care to elaborate?
If you want the low latency you have to use HDX and AAX DSP plugins. But in that case you will need at least an HDX2 to open the session that will run on HDN. At least from looking at those screen shots.
If you´re fine with higher latency you are fine with an HDX1. But then: Why use HDX1 if it will play fine in HDN?

I know it does´t fully compare since you have die DSPs in addition on HDX. But I think it´s quite remarkable that you need an HDX2 to play back a session (and that will be quite full in terms of chips) from HDN when using AAX DSP.

Frank.
Old 01-04-2012, 09:19 AM

Quote:
So CPU usage for native plug-ins on HDX system is 44%. I wonder what was the CPU usage % when the same session was opened in HDN? Assuming that the same CPU was used.
I don't know but I guess is more cause the computer has to handle the mixer as well.

Hackintosh, 3,7 GHz 10-Core Intel i9, 64 GB 3200 MHz DDR4, OSX Catalina 10.15.7, PT HDX 2023.9.0, SSL 4040G+, tons of outboard

Mac Book M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, OSX 23.6, PT Studio 2023.9.0
Old 01-04-2012, 09:20 AM

Quote:
So CPU usage for native plug-ins on HDX system is 44%. I wonder what was the CPU usage % when the same session was opened in HDN? Assuming that the same CPU was used.
I posted that earlier.
Old 01-04-2012, 09:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank Kruse View Post
If you want the low latency you have to use HDX and AAX DSP plugins. But in that case you will need at least an HDX2 to open the session that will run on HDN. At least from looking at those screen shots.
If you´re fine with higher latency you are fine with an HDX1. But then: Why use HDX1 if it will play fine in HDN?

Frank.
HDX1 and HDX 2.. or 3.. or 4 have the exact same latency. HDN how ever has a higher latency than the HDX card.

Wave-T.com
Old 01-04-2012, 09:39 AM

For comparison sake...

My computer is a westmere (5,1) 6 core 3.33 ghz.. w/16gb ram..

The MAKEITCRASH native session was opened with buffer at 256 and 11 processors.
Old 01-04-2012, 09:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emcha_audio View Post
HDX1 and HDX 2.. or 3.. or 4 have the exact same latency. HDN how ever has a higher latency than the HDX card.
I know. I wasn´t saying that HD1,2,3 had different latency.
Old 01-04-2012, 09:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank Kruse View Post
I posted that earlier.
You mean this?

http://www.protoolsprofessional.com/...4.12.32-PM.png

HD3 Accel is used there, not HDN. I guess I am missing something?
Old 01-04-2012, 10:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmazurek View Post
They are not supported now. Never have been. 11 will be no different. They may need a firmware update, who knows. They don't even know yet!!
I think you read my post wrong.. Please read again. Lynx Aurora and Apogee systems are INDEED supported by AVID now in the sense that they actually have jacks on their cards that plug directly into Digi Hardware. I should know - I work at a studio that has an Aurora that attaches directly via a DigiLink cable to their HD3 system. That support 'connectivity' will be discontinued at PT 11. Whereas with PT9HD and 10HD running - all HD|Accel hardware and Aurora and Apogee hardware all still work connected directly to the Core card.
Old 01-04-2012, 11:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NewdestinyX View Post
I think you read my post wrong.. Please read again. Lynx Aurora and Apogee systems are INDEED supported by AVID now in the sense that they actually have jacks on their cards that plug directly into Digi Hardware. I should know - I work at a studio that has an Aurora that attaches directly via a DigiLink cable to their HD3 system. That support 'connectivity' will be discontinued at PT 11. Whereas with PT9HD and 10HD running - all HD|Accel hardware and Aurora and Apogee hardware all still work connected directly to the Core card.
I believe it is you that is misunderstanding. The HDN and HDX cards, along the new HD I/O boxes all have that connector on them and they will work with and be supported in PT11. Lynx, Apogee, and Prism will still have the same connectors on them once 11 is released. Adaptors will undoubtedly be need (same as what is shipped with a Native card) and possibly firmwares updates but we just don't know yet. But make so mistake, none of these 3rd party boxes are "supported" by Avid, they are reverse engineered, always have been, always will be.

Unless you mean something else when you say "supported".

Mixing and Mastering click here to get started.
Old 01-04-2012, 11:59 AM

Quote:
You mean this?

http://www.protoolsprofessional.com/...4.12.32-PM.png

HD3 Accel is used there, not HDN. I guess I am missing something?
Sorry, I meant the info in the article. There´s no screen-shot of the HDN usage-window. But Brent is on the DUC. Maybe he chimes in. But this thread seems to have parted into 2 topics. It´s a bit difficult to follow.
For me the essential info is that a big session from an HDN system can be impossible to play back on HDX1 if you want to run fully AAX DSP on HDX.
So if you think of the PR tag line: "HDX1 is around 5xHD" it can mean that HDN can be almost 2xHDX.

;-)

In the end they all have their up and down-sides. But one thing´s for sure: HD accell is the least powerful in terms of voices and processing power. So coming back to the original posting: For me the actual surprise isn´t that HDX smokes HD. It´s the info that HDN can be equivalent to HDX1

Frank.