Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Post Production > Post - Surround - Video
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 08-27-2009, 11:06 AM

Default Looking for Hotkey

Hi, i hope this is the correct forum...

a few years ago i was given a hotkey which i do not remember for the life of me, i have searched the hotkey pdf but couldnt find it anywhere...

i am using m-powered pro tools 7.3 on windows XP

what im looking to do is this:

with a certain ambient track spanning the duration of the scene, i want to be able to select a shot within that scene, and move that selection directly down or up onto the ambient sfx track so that area is highlighted, then i would be able to delete it.

or basically select an area, then move that exact selection to different tracks, where that same area on the tracks it was moved to can be deleted.

i believe my professor called it a checkerboard technique for getting certain ambiences for certain shots.

thanks for the help
Old 08-27-2009, 11:16 AM

Default Re: Looking for Hotkey

You could select the file and hold control with the grabber tool and move the file. That will lock the region in place. You could also select region, copy, then use the p and ; keys to move up or down, paste.
Old 08-27-2009, 11:26 AM

Sorry my description is confusing, i dont want to move any audio around, just the selected space. so if i highlight a section, i want to move just the highlight up or down to different tracks without any audio. so exactly what your saying except without moving any audio files.
Old 08-27-2009, 11:43 AM

The p and ; key with the command focus on (a...z button)
p key moves up, the ; key moves down
Old 08-27-2009, 11:50 AM

Ahh, i cant believe it was that simple, im pretty sure thats the way i did it before, thanks soo much, this will save me lots of time. also 1 more question, do you know if its possible to highlight the negative space between the audio regions.

again, thanks for the quick reply!
Steve
Old 08-27-2009, 12:03 PM

Not multiple spaces I believe. I would tab to the end of the 1st region, then shift tab to the next, the empty space should be highlighted, or if your at the head of the later region, you could option shift tab to the tail of the preceding region.

Hope that makes sense.
Old 08-27-2009, 12:17 PM

Yep makes perfect sense, worked like a charm, thanks so much, im gonna save a ton of time on my project.
Old 08-29-2009, 05:36 PM

... or as an alternative, if you are allergic to the tab key like I am... you can stick with the p ; l ' keys....

click between the regions
press l
press shift+'

same thing as before, different keys...