Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools TDM Systems (Mac)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 02-19-2007, 08:24 AM

Default UP From LE to MIX still having Plug in Problems

I recently upgraded from my protools LE system to a Protools Mix Core system. I used LE for years but I now need more plug in power and could only put a couple of dverb's and compressors on a couple tracks and that was it. I thought if I got a Mix system that I would have more plug in power. Last night night was the first time I recorded a session using the mix system and I have to be doing something wrong because I actually could use more plugins on audio tracks in LE than I can in the mix system!

Someone please help me out in letting me know which format I should be working in using a TDM system. Is wave format ok? Should bit depth be set to 16 or 24? etc.

It would be a big help if someone can tell me when using a mix core system how many plug ins they could throw on one track or use in a session. What settings are they using and how are they formating the audio tracks?
Old 02-19-2007, 11:47 AM

Default Re: UP From LE to MIX still having Plug in Problems

Quote:
I recently upgraded from my protools LE system to a Protools Mix Core system. I used LE for years but I now need more plug in power and could only put a couple of dverb's and compressors on a couple tracks and that was it. I thought if I got a Mix system that I would have more plug in power. Last night night was the first time I recorded a session using the mix system and I have to be doing something wrong because I actually could use more plugins on audio tracks in LE than I can in the mix system!

Someone please help me out in letting me know which format I should be working in using a TDM system. Is wave format ok? Should bit depth be set to 16 or 24? etc.

It would be a big help if someone can tell me when using a mix core system how many plug ins they could throw on one track or use in a session. What settings are they using and how are they formating the audio tracks?

You do have more power with tdm systems but you will also need to get one- two mix farm cards to see the full power of a tdm system.
I have a HD3 Accel setup and I run low on dsp on a 48 track mix a lot of the time.
Old 02-19-2007, 11:52 AM

I have a DSP Farm Card I'm selling if you're interested.
It will work in OS9 or X, which will let you run additional plugins.
E mail me if interested.

Steve
Old 02-19-2007, 12:00 PM

So your telling me there isn't any difference between the tdm and le systems as far as plug in power goes unless you add more farm cards?
Old 02-19-2007, 02:58 PM

Default Re: UP From LE to MIX still having Plug in Problem

Quote:
So your telling me there isn't any difference between the tdm and le systems as far as plug in power goes unless you add more farm cards?
No, that is incorrect. You have more power available as you can still use RTAS the way you used to (assuming you had a version of ProTools that is equal or lower than the Mix system) plus use the DSP on the TDM card. Make sure you are using the right versions of the plugins for the Mix system, and that you have TDM versions of the plugins you are trying to use.

Also note that there are many modern plugs that will not run on Mix TDM, even thought they are TDM plugs. Also, your Mix Core has three different kinds of chip on it, and not all plugs can use all three chips.
Old 02-19-2007, 03:31 PM

Hi Unseen, If you open one of your old sessions from LE with alot of plug ins on the tracks do you get any errors ? Keep the plug ins RTAS. If you get any errors at all there is probably a problem somewhere. Check the compatability docs. That is most likely the the problem.... Version numbers of software and plug ins.

Wave or any other format will not cause any additional drain on the system. It takes more power to run a 24 bit session though.
Old 02-20-2007, 01:49 PM

Hello, Here's a bunch of MIX newbie help factoids that I wish someone had told me, sorry it's a bit long!

Sounds like you have plug ins in your HD>Library>Application Support>Digidesign>Plug ins folder
that are .dpm version that are only offically supported in 7.x & up

You need the MIX ERA plug installers from here
or you will get "you are running low on DSP error."

Also get 6.4.1cs4 here or you will experience a 12dB drop on the gain on your sends which will wreak havoc!

Some of the .dpm will work as RTAS only in MIX: Smack, Dyn & EQ III and others.

All 5 Massey plugs except THC (8x oversampling = no MIX TDM compatibility) will work as both TDM & RTAS.
I don't know why some .dpm cause problems and others don't.

The TL plugs all work on MIX TDM also as do most of the Sony OXFORD plugs

Also, adding a MIX farm is a very good idea. As is adding a G4 upgrade
card (although NOT 'officially' supported) if you haven't already for more
RTAS power.

Lastly: It's good to know that while MIX Farm cards have 6 DSPs,
there are actually 3, 2 & 1 different types of chips on them.
The 'dsp hogs' can only use the 3 sdram chips with ram on a Mix farm.

The DSP farms have 4 of the same DSP which can't handle some 'heavy duty'
plugs like Eventide, Virus Indigo, etc.

Also none of the Soundtoys plugs work on MIX except the older Soundblender, Pure Pitch and Pitch Doctor.

Also: I don't believe the WAVES SSL plugs will work on MIX as either RTAS or TDM.
Someone PLEASE correct me if I'm wrong.

Lastly: You can't use RTAS on Masters or Auxes on MIX!

Workaround: Bounce your Drum Subgroup etc. into an Audio file & use this for your "wet" RTAS Verb source.
Same with vocals subgroups, etc.

OR just duplicate the lead vox track & use RTAS Delays & Verbs on the dupe for the 'wet/FX channel.'

Does this net me a free Pint sometime?
I'm going to TAPEOPCON again this year in Tucson, lots of fun! Best, bmd