Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools TDM Systems (Mac)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 01-29-2007, 10:33 AM

Default how to replace SBS expansion chassis power supply?

Members of the Digital Realm ~

The power supply for my SBS expansion chassis failed. I called the manufacturer (used to be called SBS) -- anyway they seem to be off on another tangent now, but in any event they no longer support the unit or make the power supply. If I had the right unit I could do it myself. The guy over there did give me an internet link to some kind of power supply adapter...I can't be sure this is what I need.

But is the power supply in the SBS a standard off-the-shelf power supply that could be easily replaced by a common stock unit from Fry's? If not, is there anybody out there in L.A. who could replace the power supply -- or fix it?

I'm not dead in the water since I do have a backup exp chassis, but I do need to get the SBS fixed.

best

c-post
Old 01-29-2007, 01:21 PM

Default Re: how to replace SBS expansion chassis power supply?

Try contacting Magma.

http://www.mobl.com/expansion/

When my power supply failed they sent me one. It was easy to replace. It's not the same company I know but they may be able to help you. They are very nice. I don't think it is an "off the shelf" power supply so I wouldn't chance it especially with your PT cards.

But if you do decide to chance it.... After you put the new power supply in (with your Digi cards out) Try putting an inexpensive Audiomedia III card in and see if it works (on an LE OS9 system). This should at least let you know if you are getting proper voltage to your PCI cards.

Old 01-29-2007, 03:01 PM

Default Re: how to replace SBS expansion chassis power supply?

Another option is to get your current power supply repaired. It's not extremely cheap, but there are a lot of places that do that sort of thing.

As an example... http://acsindustrial.com/index.php

If you had been able to buy a replacement from SBS, it would not have been cheap, either.

Lee Blaske
Old 01-29-2007, 03:57 PM

Default Re: how to replace SBS expansion chassis power sup

Well, Lee, that's good to know. I had no idea they could be repaired.

c-post
Old 01-29-2007, 05:00 PM

Default Re: how to replace SBS expansion chassis power sup

you might try taking it to a PC shop that sells DIY kits. It might be interchangeable w/ another unit.

"Fly High Freeee click psst tic tic tic click Bird Yeah!" - dave911

Thank you,

Craig