Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools TDM Systems (Mac)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 01-29-2007, 11:21 AM

Default 7.3 and plug in allocation

I just upgraded to PT 7.3.1 [TDM] and I am running into a curious situation. I'm on a dual 2.0 G5 Power PC Mac, with 2 G of RAM. My PT system has one original HD Core,one Accel Process card, and one original HD Process.

The issue is this : It seems most of my plugins that will work on both Accel and regular Process cards are racing to fill up the Accel card, but won't re-allocate to the Process or Core card when I open other Accel-only plugins. When I try to open an Accel only plugin, I get the DAE #-7401 error message -- instead of the program moving those items that could work on the other chips off of the Accel card [like Filter Bank, or the Sound Toys plugins -- for example]. The Process card is working, because the HD engine is using a chip on it without a problem, and plugins do open up on it.

Is anyone else running into this?

I can provide more details if necessary...

thanks,
John
Old 01-29-2007, 01:29 PM

Default Re: 7.3 and plug in allocation

Hi John,

I had similar problems. Did this just start happening when you went to 7.3 ? I'm on 7.1cs10 and still having the same problems. I think it bears more discussion and explaination here.

I have yet to hear a good explaination as to why certain plug ins don't load or allocate properly when there is space available.
Anyone ?
Old 01-29-2007, 02:34 PM

Hey Jeremy --

I've just noticed it when I upgraded to version 7.3. I've had zero problems with it before.

John
Old 01-29-2007, 02:50 PM
Avid

I know I've rehashed this question a billion times, but is there any chance of old/incompatible plug-ins being installed?
Old 01-29-2007, 05:03 PM

Quote:
I know I've rehashed this question a billion times, but is there any chance of old/incompatible plug-ins being installed?
I checked that out before I started this thread. I think I was pretty thorough with it. I updated where it seemed necessary, although I wasn't too far off the lastest version on anything. Everything appears to be current, and things I don't use on a regular basis are in the 'un-used' folder.

For some reason, the system is just not freeing up the Accel card for Accel-only plugins. It tries to re-allocate the plugins, but things like the Fairchild 660 and Filterbank are staying on the Accel when there are 4 DSP's still available on the Process card.

Could this be an older HD/computer vs a newer HD/computer system [newer computer, new PCI type] issue -- tests correctly on the newer stuff, but has issues with slightly older computer/cards?

thanks,

John
Old 02-05-2007, 09:12 AM
Avid

What version of Pro Tools were you running on this system previously?

Now, I hate to belabor the point, but I have to because it's of the absolute utmost importance - having just one incompatible plug-in in the plug-ins folder can cause strange behavior in Pro Tools. Now, if you're not sure that you have compatible plug-ins installed, you should list every plug-in in your plug-ins folder and it's version number so that I can look over them.

Also, after updating the plug-ins, you should trash all preferences files so that the plug-in data can be re-cached.

If anyone else is experiencing similar symptoms, please let us know - including the details of your system.