Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools TDM Systems (Mac)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 05-10-2008, 09:35 PM

Default Bounce to new playlist on selected tracks?

I have a 42 track mix I just completed (I don't usually mix in ProTools, but I know enough to get the same results that I do in nuendo - and I am trying to use PT more often for mixing)

So, I don't use hardware inserts, but I am going to deliver the session to someone who I know does not have MCDSP plugins or URS plugins (he doesn't like them - for familiarity reasons I guess), and uses Waves Plugins primarily. This session is the final "print". It is going on the album as is, but my client, should be able to open the session and hear it exactly as I mixed it at a later date (I keep the raws in a separate playlist btw).

So, how to do it?

1) Send out to a bus for every track and record each of the busses for each track? Or record it on the same track using a duplicated playlist and send with prefader and input set to the bus (this I think is more messy using quickpunch).

2) Bounce to disk, choose a location for each file and bounce for 4min * 42tracks then find each file and re-import - which is something I won't even try.

Regardless if other programs have offline bounce, why not a bounce all selected channels feature that returns the "printed" audio for each channel into a new play list on the selected tracks called "trackname-Print"? I'd sit through the 4 minutes for that if it has to be realtime.

If it has to be realtime for whatever reason, can we get multiple outputs and more options at-least? Can we expect an offline bounce anytime soon?
Old 05-11-2008, 01:25 AM

Default Re: Bounce to new playlist on selected tracks?

There is really only 2 ways to do this in PT

A) either audiosuite the plug's onto a duplicate playlist in the order of how they are inserted, a lot of people will argue that is will not sound the same. But it is the fastest way.

B) bus output to input of a new track and just print, if you want to to sound as "mixed" leave the fader gain where you intended it to sound. everything should be your mix with all faders at unity. If not, then throw it out of a send at unity and bus it to the input of the new track.

on an HD rig you should be able to pull this off in one pass, just takes time to set up. Hope that helps.

Cheers

Pro Tools 10 HD Native | Mbox 3 Pro | MacBook Pro 2.3 i5 | OSX 10.7.4

Pro Tools Music & Post Operator V6-8, Instructor, and Expert ICON Mixer Certified.
Multi-Platinum Pro Tools Videos
Old 05-11-2008, 10:20 AM

I did B already, but not having it set up was a killer. What would be a nice is if digi handled this task for us to improve workflow. I mean, this is how we do it (the fastest way). Since we all do it this way, and has been accepted given the limits imposed, gather info on the procedure and automate.

Having to route each track, match them (stereo,mono, number of tracks), set the input on all the new tracks, name them to correspond to the "trackname-print" format. Record, save as new session, hide old tracks or remove, etc. Its a lot of steps. And I just started doing this, I could imagine how people have been doing it for years feel. It is tedious.

So a "print/bounce selected tracks to new tracks" or "print/bounce selected tracks to playlists" would be a welcome addition to workflow even if its realtime.

I
Old 05-11-2008, 11:01 AM

I totally agree manufau. I've been desperate for this kind of feature for years and years.
Does Digidesign presume that ALL users have the same plugins? That sessions never go from one software to another?
PLease, get this sorted.
Old 05-11-2008, 11:51 AM

Quote:
This session is the final "print". It is going on the album as is, but my client, should be able to open the session and hear it exactly as I mixed it at a later date
I totally agree with spirit of your request. It would be great to have an easy and accurate way to "consolidate" the effects into a Print of the entire mix session. A couple of caveats though..for instance, if a Verb is on an Aux, and several trax are using that "room", how would that get back to an alternate playlist for that track, or would the total Verb output be another audio track?
I do not, however, understand the need to accomodate the clients want to be able to open the session and hear the mix. What is his reasoning in wanting it? Is it so he can "tweak" your mix later? Maybe I am old school, but delivering the stereo master is where it ends. A mix engineers mix is his recipe....to ultimately deliver a stereo "entree" to the table. Do some clients request this sort of thing now? I thought giving them their drive with all the automation was overkill.. they need just the plugs for ITB stuff, and the outboard hardware/settings.... well that is just too bad.
Up until a couple of years ago I have always hired mix engineers to mix my projects, and never expected them to deliver anything more than a stereo master. Now that I mix some of them myself... it makes me wonder if this is a new trend. I no longer live in a "music mecca", and may very well be out of touch. And would love to hear some other takes on this. thanks, sb
Old 05-11-2008, 12:47 PM

I agree with you actually, had me thinking "yeah, why should I have to? its my mix" - but the client is the client

I know that some of them are selling the mix stems on Itunes or the like for remixing contests, others, the each track in the session. One client is debating over releasing the PT sessions on Blu-Ray along with videos (interviews, behind the scenes studio stuff), photos, lyrics, the whole 9.

This particular case, the engineer trusts my judgement and paid me to get it where it is, but he understands that in today's "I need it yesterday" mentality, having me up the levels on a particular part is something he can do quicker than calling me up, trying to explain to me what to do, then having to wait for me to send it to them. Something that feels right today, might not feel the same tomorrow, so I accommodate.

The FX sends though, I have in stems. People who get my sessions often say "you didn't have to do that", until I tell them what I used for the FX (like PSP nitro) which most of them can afford, but don't have and don't have the time to figure out. I usually record the auxes to a new track for the print.

Though its trivial and not standard in some cases, its the "option" to do so, more than the "why".
Old 05-11-2008, 01:07 PM

Hi Maufau,

There is a technique we use all the time and it works well for us (and for thousands of others who wrote to us since we posted the video).

The technique is described in the link below and is particularly suitable for large mixes as you do not need to create new tracks.

Songphonic ProTools Tutorials

Osman
Old 05-11-2008, 01:09 PM

Quote:
I agree with you actually, had me thinking "yeah, why should I have to? its my mix" - but the client is the client

Though its trivial and not standard in some cases, its the "option" to do so, more than the "why".
agreed on both points....

Quote:

I know that some of them are selling the mix stems on Itunes or the like for remixing contests, others, the each track in the session. One client is debating over releasing the PT sessions on Blu-Ray along with videos (interviews, behind the scenes studio stuff), photos, lyrics, the whole 9.
As a musician in LA for years, whenever a track on which I played was "re-used" (compilation, sitcom theme, et..) as long as it was a union session, AND the producer was honorable, we would get paid again. (Selling mix stems on Itunes is definately a reuse, IMO.) A percentage of the original scale. do I need a reality check in asking if this occurs in the mix world? just curious. SB
Old 05-11-2008, 01:19 PM

Quote:

As a musician in LA for years, whenever a track on which I played was "re-used" (compilation, sitcom theme, et..) as long as it was a union session, AND the producer was honorable, we would get paid again. (Selling mix stems on Itunes is definately a reuse, IMO.) A percentage of the original scale. do I need a reality check in asking if this occurs in the mix world? just curious. SB
If you were part of the composition then yes from what I understand. But its not the same ball game for mixing, at least in my experience. If it is the same, then... I've been handling business the wrong way
Old 05-11-2008, 01:30 PM

prophonic,

I looked at that one, I like it! That feedback is a killer though

But even that requires some setup. My point was that - we have to resort to things like this, when other programs have freeze, and batch export, some since 2003 or earlier - its 2008.

Even if it has to be realtime fine, this sort of thing should be an available option, because this is something every mixing engineer has to do at sometime or another, whether using plugins or hardware inserts.